• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bob65 2018 GLOG

I thought I would give this grow log thing a go.

It is winter here now, so I have bought a grow tent and some lights and will try and keep some plants alive until I can get them outside once it warms up again. Keeping them alive may be a big ask because inside my house has historically been where plants go to die.

Anyway, a while ago I bought some seeds from ebay, before I had any idea about ebay seed sellers. Since then I have done some searching on this seller, and he seems legit. Also sells through a website. I guess only time will tell if the seeds I got are the ones that I wanted.

So, I decided to plant some chilli cha cha (from the ebay seller) and some orange habs harvested from my plants last season. I chose these because I figured it would be no great loss if they didn't survive, the ebay seeds because they are ebay seeds, and the habs because I have heaps of them. I will be planting some Aji Cito later in the month as well.

So I put some seeds in jiffy pellets and had 100% germination rate. The cha cha within days, but the habs took a little longer.

They have since been transplanted into small pots.

They are only little at the moment but they look pretty healthy to me.

Chilli cha cha.

0006 1.06.18.jpg

Orange Habs

0007 1.06.18.jpg

To be honest, I am yet to try one.

Green and fried is supposed to be very tasty. Ripe and dried or powdered is supposed to be sensational.

The blurb from where I bought the seeds says mild when green, and about 4 x as hot when ripe.

Guess I will find out soon.

bob65 said:
To be honest, I am yet to try one.

Green and fried is supposed to be very tasty. Ripe and dried or powdered is supposed to be sensational.

The blurb from where I bought the seeds says mild when green, and about 4 x as hot when ripe.

Guess I will find out soon.

Thanks , will have to leave a few to ripen then. That has been difficult!
Nice thin walled , so should dry well.

Padrones, when left to turn red, can be very spicy, but
they always have a good flavor.  Smoked, dried and
ground, they make a great stand-alone powder, or mixed
with superhot powder to mellow it out a little.

Have fun down there!

karoo said:
How are those Padrons when ripened?
I have only eaten them the traditional way. Green and fried with a bit of oil and salt.
How do you use them?

Have given them a taste test now.

First one I had sliced raw with ham and tomato on toast. Very tasty. Strong flavour and a bit of heat. Not too hot but a lingering heat that stayed on the lips and tongue for at least 10 minutes.

Tonight I did a taste test comparison between the red and green. Both fried in a little bit of oil and salt.

Both lovely, but different. Green, as I am sure you know, tasty and sweet but mild. Red tasty with a much sharper taste and hotter. Not as hot as raw, but the first bite of the first one tickled the back of the nostrils.

Red was my favorite, I will let most of mine ripen to red before picking I think.

But if I was serving them to non chilli heads then I think green would be a smash hit.

When I let my Padrones go to red in my 2017 grow,
the pods got as large as Poblanos, and some even
had the sunken calyx like Poblanos have.  Stuffed,
they were awesome. Still, to me, the fried and salted
small green pods are just perfect for eating, washed
down with a little brew, like I was introduced to them in
Spain years ago!

PaulG said:
When I let my Padrones go to red in my 2017 grow,
the pods got as large as Poblanos, and some even
had the sunken calyx like Poblanos have.  Stuffed,
they were awesome. Still, to me, the fried and salted
small green pods are just perfect for eating, washed
down with a little brew, like I was introduced to them in
Spain years ago!

Thank you , good tips . I'm a bit Padron heavy this year . Eating green fried pods for the last two months. Time for something new .

They do get massive if you just let them go.

Update time.

Most of my plants are growing well, getting some size to them. Pods forming all over the place, but at this point still just getting the odd ripe one here and there.

Big things to come this year I think.

First day of summer down under. Three days ago we had over a months worth of rain in two hours.

20181201_134327.jpg

20181201_134349.jpg

Barbere coffee brown
barbere coffee brown.jpg

Fresno
fresno.jpg

Hungarian Yellow
Hungarian yellow.jpg

Jalapeno
jalapeno.jpg

Malaysian Green
malaysian green.jpg

Orange Habs
orange habs.jpg

Padron
padron.jpg

Purple Ufo
purple ufo.jpg

Red Habs
red hab.jpg

Um Ji Put
um ji put.jpg

Yaki Blue
Yaki blue.jpg

Yellow Siam
yellow siam.jpg

Yessir, Bob, what Jacques said  :D

Can't wait to see some nice color on those pods!

Thanks mate.

The Blondie Chillies (bottom left) are hotter than I expected.

Mild to start off with, then creep up on you and linger around for a while.

Hey, Bob.  Do you have any idea what the parents 
of the Blondie peppers are?  Great looking pods.

Absolutely.

I think I lucked out and bought seeds from that one seller on ebay with integrity.

I don't think that I would risk buying seeds on ebay again, knowing what I know now. But if I did it would only be through him.

Back