• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Bob's DeSoto Parish Grow 2014

I gave my co-worker Bob some chile plants again this year. He's got some of them  in containers at his hunting camp, but the bulk of them are in the ground back in a clearing behind the camp…He snapped these pix of his container plants today:

F3 Red NagaBrain. The leaf detritus in the dirt is the results of his pinching blossoms, as per Søren's advice:

bobnagabrain1.jpg

Madame Jeanette (meatfreak):

bobjeanette.jpg

Chilhuacle Rojo:

bobschilhuacle1.jpg

Lumbre (the extra-hot New Mexico Chile from Faron Lytle):

bobslumbre1.jpg

Chile de Arbol (CarlosO):

bobdearbol1.jpg

There must have been quite a bit of residual nutrients in the reused MG for them to look that healthy. Wish my seedlings looked as good. Apparently I don't fertilize them enough.

kentishman said:
There must have been quite a bit of residual nutrients in the reused MG for them to look that healthy. Wish my seedlings looked as good. Apparently I don't fertilize them enough.

Must be…I'm anxious to see his in-ground plants. Fine-grained sand with a little silt and clay, no amendments whatsoever….

Bob finally took me to see his in-ground plants today. These are set in fine-grained, clayey sand, with no soil amendments whatsoever, in a shooting lane deep in the woods. They have had one shot of MG since plant-out time, about 3 weeks ago...

This is the shooting lane. The view is facing southeast. The garden is behind the clump of pines about halfway up the hill:

shootinglane1.jpg

Lumbre, the extra-hot New Mexico chile from Faron Lytle:

bobslumbre2.jpg

Chile de Arbol (CarlosO—3 front plants) and Lumbre (Faron Lytle–4 back plants):

bobdearbol3.jpg

NagaBrain (romy6):

bobsnagabrain1.jpg

NagaBrain:

bobnagabrain4.jpg

Meanwhile, back at the camp this morning…..These plants are in re-used MG soil from last season. Since plant-out time they have had 2 shots of MG...

bobdearbol2.jpg

Madame Jeanette (meatfreak):

bobjeanette2.jpg

NagaBrain:

bobnagabrain2.jpg

NagaBrain:

bobnagabrain3.jpg

Chilhuacle Rojo:

bobschilhuacle3.jpg

That's only too awesome!  Plants look great.

However.  I think Bob is just an alias for Gary,
who wants to have two blogs going!

Bob's plants are really pissing me off. I don't understand how he grows them so big and fast….F3 NagaBrain Red. The main stem on this plant is like a tree trunk:

bobnagabrain1.jpg

Chilhuacle Rojo:

bobchilhuacle1.jpg

Freaky-looking beetle:

beetle2.jpg

bobdearbol1.jpg

Bob's shooting lane grow. The deer have topped a couple of the Chile de Arbol, and bit a branch off of a NagaBrain:

bobgarden1.jpg

Lumbre:

boblumbre1.jpg

Plant taster:

deer1.jpg

Devv said:
Looking good Bob & Gary!

Those F3 NG's look just like mine. Weren't the F2's smoother?

Thanks Scott! I'm heading over to your glog as soon as I finish here…Yes, smoother, but the early pods are always bumpier—This photo is the very first pod that clued me to the fact that Jamie had sent me something very special, unbeknownst to either of us, back in June of 2012:

red7.jpg

millworkman said:
It surely is awesome how great "NEW" soil is.  That place seems like it has never been farmed and has proper nutrient for a good bit, especially going by those photos.

Thanks Noah! It's certainly some really nice soil. There are a few good sandy spots like Bob has in this area—Mostly what we have on the surface here is clay. Most all of DeSoto Parish was farmland way in the 1930's, but it's now had plenty of time to recover...

Those are some monster plants already, whatever he's doing it works! Thanks for the MJ's they look great, just a little twist in the pods is what they should have. They aren't so extreme like the Cili Goronong.

Back