• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food Boil Like A Cajun

Man, that looks unreal, could just dive into that table and make a mess of it!!!

I'm paying for it.... The good news is that my GF ate as much garlic as I did, so I get to blame it on her too!

Don't wear your "fancy" clothes and don't worry - your face WILL be a mess by the time you get done!

And you will be snotting all over yourself... these boys were perfectly HOT! Thank you scotch bonnets!

Damn...I knew it. Cajun/Creole is my favorite cuisine of them all. I haven't been down there in a while, but I am lucky enough to have a restaurant locally that is owned and cheffed by David Prudhomme, nephew of Paul. I can't wait for crawfish season to send its spoils up here.

The Prudhommes definitely know their stuff. They make a GREAT blackened seasoning I use on chicken and fish

Phil, did you boil the boudin in with the crawfish?

Were your guests able to eat the crawfish with the peppers that you added?

I've had folks complain of the crawfish being too hot/spicy. Mostly the ladies and kids. So, I have to be careful and strike a happy medium with them. If we have a big enough crowd, I'll boil a kids and ladies batch separate from the men's batch. Oh Buddy, if we catch one of the guys eating out of the ladies pile!

The smoked sausage and corn from the boil is good. But my favorite is the onions and garlic. Many years ago, I had eaten so much garlic at a boil at our house the night before, the next day at football practice I was stinking up the huddle through my pores! Our coach started chewing out the guys who weren't taking their practice uniforms home to wash! He told them they smelled like a sack of AZZZ!

That photo has me wantin to try some of my homemade smoked boudin in the boil. It's already cooked. I'd just drop some into the pot during the 45 minute soak.

Great pics Phil!

yeah, bigoledude. I did put the boudin in the boil, but only after I shut the flame down for the 30 minute soak cycle... I didn't want it to bust and get rice all over everything! And yes, everyone who ate the crawfish was able to take the heat. I boiled these just for me and my lady, Allison, and we gave away a couple of leftover bags full. I think one of the guys next door had a little trouble with it, but he said he was able to roll through them once his mouth got "numb", as he called it! lol. Actually, I didn't find that the six peppers added much more heat at all. I used the "Extra Spicy" boil, so I was expecting spicy... which is how me and the missus like our crawfish, but the peppers added more flavor than anything. I could taste the peppers in every bite, but any noticeable extra heat was minimal. Then again, I cook habs into my red beans, so we're kinda used to it.

And funny thing about the garlic... me and my lady must have each eaten almost two whole heads of garlic. I was VERY surprised that I couldn't smell it on us today!!!! I guess I let it cook enough to take most of the pungency out of it.

And always good to see a fellow Louisianian here! Ever tried cauliflower in your boil? Dude.... that soaks up SO MUCH SPICE!!! Excellent! I didn't put any in this one, though.

Yep. Done cauliflower. And, you're right, it's one of my favorite "extras" in the boil. For years the only way I ate cauliflower was from a boil. Now I love it just about any way.

I did all of the seafood boiling at home before I got married. Then, my neighbor and I have been boiling crabs, crawfish, shrimp and even oysters for over 40 years together. We might put mushrooms, broccoli, carrots or whatever strikes us. Of course, corn, potatoes and sausage go in every batch. I prefer doing the sausage separately because I don't care for the crawfish gettin all greasy.

The oysters; We bring the seasoned water to a boil, shut off the fire, dunk the whole sack in for about 30-45 seconds and man! They pop open just a little and they're fantastic. Crank the propane back up and use the water for the crabs, crawfish or shrimp.

I can't believe we never thought of trying boudin in our boil! I promise it will be in the very next batch. Thanks again Phil!

Ok that's it. I am moving to Louisiana.

C'mon down JayT. We'll throw you a boil for a house warming!

The oysters; We bring the seasoned water to a boil, shut off the fire, dunk the whole sack in for about 30-45 seconds and man! They pop open just a little and they're fantastic. Crank the propane back up and use the water for the crabs, crawfish or shrimp.

Oysters.... wow. I can't believe I never thought of oysters! We did do clams once that we dug up from the bottom of the pond at my grandpa's old camp in Myrtle Grove.... that was a long time ago.

And I stopped using big link sausage and started using the cocktail smokies. Perfectly bite size and get a great flavor!

I've never hosted, had, nor even been to a Boil before - but you two have inspired me with all sorts of great ideas!!!!!

I'm thinking I'll do one next Mardi Gras....unless I'm already down there! hahahaha

I've done boils with dungeness and snow crabs.... dungeness is the best! Can y'all get the seasonings up there? I'm sure they're available online, if not.

Don't wait until next Mardi Gras... do it next weekend!!!! WOOT!

We have crab and oysters a-plenty! :)

What we don't have is mudbugs......and I refuse to have my first Boil without 'em!
That would be sacrilege!!!!! :lol:

hahahahaha! It would be a money maker for sure.... According to that link I posted. $155 for a 30 lb sack and 3 lbs of boil seasoning. BUT, I guess that really isn't THAT horrible, seeing as how I paid $95 for the 34 lb sack I boiled for this thread. Add that to all of the extras, and yeah... pretty close.

So, just curious, what do you do with all of that Boil after everyone is finished eating?

Lunches for the week?

Sorta.... I brought a bag of crawdads to work today and ate for lunch. We also popped the heads on a bunch and froze the tails that way when we want an etouffee or a crawfish fettuccine or something, all we have to do is peel the tails and cook. Believe it or not, peeled crawfish tails from Louisiana go for almost $15 a lb here! Crazy!

You can get the chinese ones cheaper at the grocery....

I bel'eed it! I've always picked Hebert's as my go-to place from LA. But they only sell crawfish meat,,,,,and I only want the "wholes-ies"! So, sadly....never have gotten the mudbugs sent up...yet! ;) Scovie used to dive for 'crawdads' when we lived on the West side of the state....sweet little buggers, but not comparable to true Loosiana Mudbugs. My time will come...!!!!!!

Oh absolutely!!!! Will hafta wait for the more 'prosperous' part of our Season tho..... hahahahaha

Itsall cool.....I'm a patient biotch! ;) 'Twill Happen! :D

When I first got married, we paid $10.00 for a 40 pound sack of bigole fat crawfish! Then, EVERYONE started eatin them and look what's happened! I liked it much better when the "civilized" people only used crawfish for bait.

Save some of those heads next time and make crawfish bisque. Mi tonnerre, c'est bon!

This post just sent spell-check into lepsy fits!

I like bisque, but I ain't going through all of that mess.... too much trouble! I love making etouffee, though!

I remember 50 cents/lb prices. We'll never see that again

<3 Etouffee!!!!! Haven't yet made it myself (yet!), but it's my go-to at a restaurant......back in the day when I went to restaurants!!!! :lol:

Back