• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bonnie plant thread! post your plants and success/failures

nmlarson said:
Here's a photo of the Mad Hatters I grew last year. This particular pepper was a bit taller than most of what I harvested. They weren't Bonnie plants, but F1 seed I'd started from Johnny's. Johnny's describes them as a "slightly hot bishop's crown type."

attachicon.gif
20190604_092327.jpg

That's a big sucker!

we finally started getting decent weather here in the northeast. the month of may was rainy and cold and my plants seemed to be stunted. for the last week and a half the rain backed off and the temps are reaching 80 during the day. the plants are now showing some growth but one is really doing well. the Shishito plant is getting really bushy. compare it to the plant to the right. some of the other plants are just as tall but not nearly as full and bushy. it`s early in the season here and i know things will pick up with my other plants but this thread needed a bump :onfire:

20190607_164106_resized.jpg

I bought four pots of bonnie ghost peppers, three of them were doubles, I eventually separated them into their own pots. Earlier this season I planted three of them in a giant patio planter and mixed up a batch of soil to fill it. I think I hit the jackpot with my ratio as they have exploded with growth. Got a few fruits on them for the first time, very slow to rippen. 

Attachments

• 20190521_161217.jpg
    20190521_161217.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20190319_195126.jpg
    20190319_195126.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 64
luvmesump3pp3rz said:
we finally started getting decent weather here in the northeast. the month of may was rainy and cold and my plants seemed to be stunted. for the last week and a half the rain backed off and the temps are reaching 80 during the day. the plants are now showing some growth but one is really doing well. the Shishito plant is getting really bushy. compare it to the plant to the right. some of the other plants are just as tall but not nearly as full and bushy. it`s early in the season here and i know things will pick up with my other plants but this thread needed a bump :onfire:

attachicon.gif
20190607_164106_resized.jpg

It's sure has been a rough spring in NE this year. Things are picking up 100+ miles north of you too. Glad to see your plants survived May.

PtMD989 said:
Looking good [emoji106]. What are you feeding them,eh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
i use Alaska Fish, both liquid and pelleted. when i plant out i add a handful of pellets on the top and lightly mix it into the top layer of potting soil and every time it rains or i water them it leaches in a little at a time. i`ll add a second dose to the top in mid july.  with the liquid the mix is supposed to be 1 tablespoon per gallon but i don`t pre mix. i use one of those plastic coffee scoops that always came inside coffee cans back in the old days LOL. it holds maybe 4 tablespoons of fish emulsion. i pour that around the stalk of each plant and every watering it washes down into the potting soil. i have only watered these plants once or twice this year because of the rains we`ve been getting. its my second year with this fertilizer and i`m happy with it. 

20190622_160551_resized.jpg

nmlarson said:

Just curious which are the Mad Hatters?  Mine are really stretching.  :scared:
when Orekoc sent me the mad hatters i had run out of containers so i planted them about 15 feet away in a small spot in the ground in front of some tomato plants. we also have lettuce there. they were planted a week or so after the others so they aren't quite as tall as the others. they are about 15 inches tall. i need to do some weeding, it looks like a jungle in there :lol:  they are a little crowded but not as bad as it looks. 

on a side note Orekoc also sent me a bishops crown that he started from seed and that was planted with the mad hatters but for some reason it didn`t like where it was planted and dropped ALL of it`s leaves and died. its the first pepper plant i`ve lost. 

20190622_163101_resized.jpg

20190622_163114_resized.jpg

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
when Orekoc sent me the mad hatters i had run out of containers so i planted them about 15 feet away in a small spot in the ground in front of some tomato plants. we also have lettuce there. they were planted a week or so after the others so they aren't quite as tall as the others. they are about 15 inches tall. i need to do some weeding, it looks like a jungle in there :lol:  they are a little crowded but not as bad as it looks. 
Looking good to me!

i never grew broccoli or cabbage for lack of space. i have been harvesting buttercrunch lettuce and swiss chard along with some cherry tomatoes and jalapenos. there is 1 shishito ready on the plant i have .and there are many small pods and flowers but only 1 lone pod ready to pick. who would pick and blister 1 lone shishito? i would because i`m dying to try them.  :cheers:

nmlarson said:
My shishitos were always early, too. How did you like them?
i tried a few that i blistered in a cast iron skillet with EVOO and salt. i like the flavor but being the first time i think i just slightly overcooked them. i added nothing but salt so all i was tasting was the pepper. i will experiment with other recipes i have seen, then i ate one raw just to see how that was and not so good. how do you prepare them?

20190703_211202_resized.jpg

Back