• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

'bout to blend up some 5 year aged goodness!

Pepper-Guru

Extreme Member
Well, I think its been long enough. These have been aging for half a decade now so they should be just about right to make some fine sauces out of :) Fatalli, Congo Chocolate, Red Fatalli, 7-Pod, Trinidad Scorpion, Red Savina, Red Carribean...

5734872696_b45a49e6b2.jpg

5734323371_8f14c486ee.jpg

5734323135_30fd707bc6.jpg

Fatalli

5734323289_0dce9fac8a.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion

5734323171_d798ac9516.jpg

7-Pod

5734323201_9c2f1f59ed.jpg

Good Year! lol

5734323243_0fcfa855f0.jpg

Can't wait to get the blender warmed up :onfire:

Well yes you can, and some of the best pickles I've had have no vinegar. Salt, yes. Look up brine pickles. http://www.perfectpi...ne-Pickles.html

With classic pickles (dill pickles, etc.), vinegar is usually added for flavor, not preservation. A real pickle is a brine pickle. Not talking about mass-produced crap pickles. Next time you're in the supermarket check out Ba Tampte pickles in the refrigerated section near meats. A brine pickle, most do not have vinegar, some do, for flavor.

That being said... using all vinegar seems extreme! I can't imagine that. It would ruin the pepper/vegetable.

Well maybe he'll taste them and want to start over... :P 5 more years.

Culinary history is one of my hobbies. =)

* Note for the most part I'm speaking historically here.
Brine pickles are actually still acid pickles though. They just use lactobacillus to produce lactic acid instead of vinegar. Historically speaking this method is oldest pickling method know. It is also lot mellower tasting vinegar.
The only issue I have is with this line "vinegar is usually added for flavor, not preservation" While this generally true for commercial pickles where the pickles are primarily preserved by canning. However if you happened to be making pickles at home, and live in a cooler climate. Then the "wild" lactobacillus tend to be to slow, and to have to low of a population to pickle your food effectively. It's simply to cold during normal harvest seasons.(Works in the summer though) On multiple occasions when I was little my parents tried to turn cabbages we grew into sauerkraut this way; They all rotted. In this region our answer the problem was simple, cider vinegar. Apples were/are very common and making cider was pretty easy. However stopping it from turning into vinegar was not. It became the easiest most dependable solution to preserving their food. This is also one of the reasons that vinegar pickles are so common in the US today. Mind you most commercial pickles use cheaper white vinegar and not cider vinegar now.

That being said yes 100% vinegar brine is a "bit" over kill. Though the vinegar will have mellowed some over time.

While I am happy all this "pickling" information is being given out, I must say again..."These jars have been aging for the mere purpose of making hot sauce" " I was in no way attempting to "pickle" them. Who ever heard of a 5 year pickling anyway? Most of the things I "pickle" set for a month to two (cold) and then I eat them. The process for making hot sauce is not the same as pickling, nor are the ingredients/ratios. Good info going on in here concerning the history of "pickling" though, rock on!

DaQatz I hear ya on wild fermentation being slower in colder climates.

Pepper-Guru just keep us posted, and post pics!

Dude you make beer!!!!
I'm heading over!!! whats tha addy!!!!! :beer:
Very cool man! I have always wanted to try that hobby!
Diggin tha Sweetwater glass! :cool:

:cheers:
Kevin
Dude, you got two brew shops there in Lilburn! You should def try it out. Its loads of fun and the most important part...CHEAPER BEER! The only cheaper I could go would be to grow my own barley and hops....wait a min... :shocked: :idea: brb lol

"These jars have been aging for the mere purpose of making hot sauce" " I was in no way attempting to "pickle" them. Who ever heard of a 5 year pickling anyway?
A vinegar solution will extract the capsaicin. These peppers are now not that hot, but the solution may be. Well whatever, good luck.

I have to ask, what was the purpose of storing them in vinegar for 5 years? They are not hotter. They are not fresher. They are not mash. So what?

A vinegar solution will extract the capsaicin. These peppers are now not that hot, but the solution may be. Well whatever, good luck.

I have to ask, what was the purpose of storing them in vinegar for 5 years? They are not hotter. They are not fresher. They are not mash. So what?
How about I just send you a bottle, you taste it, go "ohhhhhhh" and then reply back in this thread with your own answer ;)

edit: if you think making hot sauce is all about trying to keep/get it as hot as possible, or making it taste like "mash" then I fear you've missed the point. I will send you some and you tell me what you think.

Aging peppers in vinegar is fairly common. If you google it you'll find a lot on it. I personally have jars that are 13 to 14 years old.

How about I just send you a bottle, you taste it, go "ohhhhhhh" and then reply back in this thread with your own answer ;)

edit: if you think making hot sauce is all about trying to keep/get it as hot as possible, or making it taste like "mash" then I fear you've missed the point. I will send you some and you tell me what you think.
Just trying to understand what happens to them after 5 years in vinegar. How does this affect the taste? What happens?

Okay I'll take one :)

Thanks

+1
I wouldn't think there would be much biological processes happening with pickled peppers to "age" them. Wouldn't the vinegar prevent any fermentation? I'd love to here more on this

Just trying to understand what happens to them after 5 years in vinegar. How does this affect the taste? What happens?

Okay I'll take one :)

Thanks

+1
I wouldn't think there would be much biological processes happening with pickled peppers to "age" them. Wouldn't the vinegar prevent any fermentation? I'd love to here more on this
With aging peppers in vinegar to make hot sauce, the vinegar acts as the preservative, keeping the acidity down. This allows for storage without refrigeration by preventing fungi/microbes from colonizing and turning it bad. Otherwise, you'd be fermenting or mashing through means of lactic acids to achieve storage outside of refrigeration. Simply put, its the alternative to mashing. With mashing, you achieve a fermentation, and therefore CREATE a new flavor. With aging in vinegar (different than pickling), the amount of time allows the vinegar to mellow and the ORIGINAL chili flavor to infuse. Simply put, if you enjoy the way a certain pepper tastes and want to freeze that taste in time, age them in vinegar to make sauce with them. I LOVE mash sauces, but I also love aged hot sauce. It is just a different approach guys, that's all :) Now what is REALLLLLY good is when you make the best mash ever, and then age it like this for five years! MMMMMMMMMMMMM

I guess I just wouldn't call that aging. If I buy a bottle of cherry peppers in a vinegar solution at the supermarket, they will taste the same now, or a year from now. I can't see that the five years does anything. Oh well. Not trying to argue.

THP buy 2 identical bottles of wine, drink one now. The other you drink in 1 year. You will see very little difference in that time. Give it another 5 or 10 years and you will see a difference. The applies to aging any preserved food. Mind you that only a select few change in way that people perceive as positive.

If I buy a bottle of cherry peppers in a vinegar solution at the supermarket, they will taste the same now, as a year from now.
Not true. I doubt you've done the comparison to know for sure, but you should. :) I'd be interested in sending you two different year batches of the same pepper just to see which one you liked more. Label them A and B and get your report on the difference in aroma, flavor, heat etc. Honestly, I'm not sure why you doubt the validity of what I'm saying. I gain nothing by falsely reporting the benefits of aging your hot sauce to make it taste better...lol :lol: If you want to believe me that's great, you'll make better sauces because of it. If not, then you remain unaffected regardless. It's a win win for both of us!

Back