• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela's 2016 Glog

Had a hard time following the weather reports here in NJ this year (actually didn't pay attention) and a frost killed the garden before I could dig up plants and bring them in to OW.  I did grow some peppers in containers so I decided to move the best of them inside.  Thus, I am OW'ing the following:

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate grown from seeds from Baker's.  This plant did well in the container but really never produced any pods.  If I can keep it alive, it will kick butt next season.
Habanero White Bullet grown form seeds from Juanito.  Got plenty of pods from this guy and I am happy to OW it.  Still plenty of pods on it and I plan on harvesting them.
Cayenne Red that I purchased from a local store.  This plant was large for a store bought plant and did great.  I am still getting pods off of it after moving it indoors.  I definitely need to prune it back once I harvest all of the pods off of it.
Aji Melocoton grown from seeds from Pepperlover.  This plant grew true, it was not one of the Aji Penec's that some folks got (including myself) that were mislabeled.  I pruned it way back and the plant still is going strong. I can't imagine an OW'd baccatum. This should be fun.
Some unknown variety purchased from a local store that was mislabeled.  I will post pictures of the pods if anyone wants to guess what it is.  Large pendant pods that grow up and mature red.
Masquerade.  This plant was in a display that was at my father-in-law's wake.  We kept the display and I will do my best to keep this plant going.  These pods go from green to dark purple to red and grow upwards.  Nice plant and it will be a nice memory.

Other than that, I did start some seeds today as a first wave kind of thing.  I am using Park's starters as my planting medium.  Each starter block contains 18 cells in a 3 x 6 layout.  I planted three cells of the following:

Block 1:  Lindberg Figueroa peppers
Aji Jobito
Aji Llaneron
Aji Margariteno
Aji Pepon
Aji Rosita
Aji Rosita Rojo

Block 2: Seeds from peppers I grew or purchased.   The Thai Orange Large is from romy6.  The "Mel Unknown" are seeds from a pod a friend named Mel gave me.  He got the peppers from a trip to the Caribbean.  I have a picture somewhere of what a mature plant looks like and I will follow up with a post.
Thai Hot Ornamental
Thai Orange Large
Mel Unknown
Cumari Do Para
Peri Peri
Trotalino Amoraoso

Block 3: More seeds from plants I have grown in the past and a few from Wicked Mike's Seed Train from last season.
Aji Amarillo
Aji Colorado
Inca Red Drop
Criolla Sella
Guajillo
Birgit's Locoto

Not going with too many superhots up front.  Next rounds of seeds will get the superhots going.  I am liking the small hot pepper thing hence the Thai Hot Ornamental, the Cumari do Para and the Peri Peri.  I hope to get some CAP 691 seeds from Pepperlover.  Got some of them in a SFRB from Wicked Mike this season and I thought those peppers rocked.

Here is a pic of the Mel Unknown.  The plant grows very big it seems. I just have seeds. That is not a picture of any plant that I have.
5WVArEh.jpg

I am not a fan on the MG.  I used both that and Fox Farms Ocean Forest.  This year i will be using only the Ocean Forest.

Did you get the grow down seeds yet?

tctenten said:
I am not a fan on the MG.  I used both that and Fox Farms Ocean Forest.  This year i will be using only the Ocean Forest.

Did you get the grow down seeds yet?
Haven't received them yet.  Mail might be slow due to the storm. 

bpiela said:
Haven't received them yet.  Mail might be slow due to the storm. 

Yeah I know.  I think I mailed them Thursday.  Just let me know if they make it.  Did you guys get dumped on up there?

It has been awhile since my last post so somewhat of a large update.  For starters, here is a pic of the new shelves in action.  I have 2 shelves full with 5 trays on them each.  I think 5 trays per shelf is too much but I only have lights for two shelves so I am living with it for the moment.  I will be purchasing one more set of lights for the third shelf very soon.  

wfPp3hS.jpg

In this pic are all of the baccutum, chinense and annuum peppers that I have started thus far that have survived.  Since I have gotten the new shelves up, I haven't had any issues with the seedlings.  The Aji Rosito Rojo plants did have issues.  I sprayed them with GUARDIAN spray and they are now doing fine.  They lost a few leaves but that is fine.  The chinense dome I still have lying around.  Got some late poppers, a Cumari Pollux and all three C. Galapagoense.

I have started another BioDome for frutescens and I have started a couple of 12 Cell Jiffy trays.  One Jiffy tray was for seeds for D3monic's crosses which I failed on.  Only one Lemon Drop x Inca Berry popped.  I am very bummed about that.  The other Jiffy tray has 3 cells each of Manzano Orange, Rocoto Marcara, NuMex Heritage Big Jim and Big Bang.  All have popped there except the Rocoto.  The Big Jims are for the Big Jim contest.  Those seeds are from MidWestChileHeads.  I am psyched I got some of the pubescens to pop.  This is my first time growing them.  In the BioDome, I have started the following (3 cells each, 60 cells total):

Front Right
Aji Chuncho  (Pepperlover)
Cabai Burung Ungu  (Fatalii.net)
Catacamus Hot  (Hot Stuff Seed Train)
Duke Pequin  (Fatalii.net)
Prik Kee Noo Suan  (Hot Stuff Seed Train)
Tabasco  (MidWestChileHeads)
Wiri Wiri   (Wicked Mike's Seed Train)
Zimbabwe Bird  (Wicked Mike's Seed Train)
Blue Mystery  (Scorched Seed Train)
Peruvian Purple  (Scorched Seed Train)
Front Left (crosses and other chinense)
CGN21500 x Galapagos Island  (Hot Stuff Seed Train)
Kung Pao x Super Hot  (Wicked Mike's Seed train)
PdN x Bhut Jolokia  (Juanitos)
Juanito Cross F1  (Well, this started out last year from White Bullet Hab seeds I bought from Juanitos but didn't grow that way.  I suspect it is a cross between the Hab and an Urfa Biber...)
Hendrix Yellow  (I-P)  (This is from a pepper from a box I got from forum member Ignite.  Last year, I grew two of these, one looked like a Yellow Hab and one was a Red Hab)
Trinidad Scorpion Lemon Lime F2 (Texas Hot Peppers)
Cheiro Recife  (Scorched Seed Train)
Krootown  (Scorched Seed Train)
NuMex Suave Red  (Texas Hot Peppers)
Shabu Shabu  (Gift from Floricole contest)

I am seeing excellent germ rates in this particular dome. The only ones that haven't popped thus far are the Blue Mystery, Prik Kee Noo Suan, Aji Chuncho and the Suave Reds.  

Yesterday, I started another 12 Cell Jiffy tray with 3 cells each of the following (inspired by the Big Jim competition):
Big Jim 2011 World Record (I checked out ChileseedsUSA.com and bought some seeds.)
Ms. Junie (ChileseedsUSA.com)
Guajillo (ChileseedsUSA.com.  I had started some earlier from a different seed source that are still around but the pictures on the ChileSeedsUSA web site inspired me to get more)
Buena Mulata (Hot Stuff Seed Train.  I felt like I could sneak this one in)

I still need to start a few more seeds.  They would include the following:
Aji Blanco Christal (will start on 2/14 for Growdown)
Spezzano Thai Hot Orange (from Big Mike)
Thai Orange Large (the ones I started earlier didn't like the lack of light I gave them)
C02598 (same as above)
Datil (forgot that I like these guys and I didn't have any growing)
D3 crosses (I still have two seeds left of each cross.  I must get them to grow.  I want to isolate them in something like this: http://www.arbico-organics.com/product/culti-cave-mini-greenhouse )
Seeds from a trade with jsschrstrcks.  (Like to start a couple this year)

Overall, I will have too many plants.  I am having too much fun growing.  This will fill up my garden and whatever containers I can get my hands on.  This will also fill up any space I can get at my sister's house.  After that, I plan on giving a bunch away to spread the love of heat.

Plants look great.  They are going to monsters by the time we can put them outside.   I really like those square pots you are using.  Last year i used them and red solo cups.  This year it will be all square pots, I find them much easier to transport and I just liked them better.   :onfire:

Here is a picture of my frutescens+ BioDome.

u2hmZgE.jpg

Everything popped but the Aji Chuncho and the Blue Mystery.  Also, only one Cabai Burung Ongu popped.  Overall, I am happy.  Will be transplanting soon.

Here is a pic of the two shelves where the transplants live.  Most plants are doing very well.  I am going to have to start topping some of them very soon.  I will also need to get another set of T5's for an upper shelf where the transplants from the BioDome will grow.

VH0uNTe.jpg

Finally got the last seedlings from my last BioDome transplanted to pots on my third shelf.

Q5nrXaE.jpg

I have one last 36 cell Jiffy starter with the following in it (Started on Feb 14):

36 Cell Jiffy the last bits, three cells per pepper:
FrontRight
Aji Blanco Cristal (Growdown)
Fatalii Cream (Wicked Mike)
PI 543208 (Wicked Mike)
Habalokia Peach Lavalamp  (jcw10tc)
Thai Orange Spezzano  (Big Mike)
CGN21500  (Wicked Mike)
Front Left
D3 (APxBT)/Guyang/Nardello (Got a few seeds from D3 crosses still left so I put them in one cell.)
Mako kokoo    (jcw10tc)
Mako Akokosrade  (jsschrstrcks)
C02598  (Fatalii.net.  The first ones I germed died due to early lighting issues I had)
Datil  (Pepperlover.  Gotta have some Datil...)
Kpakpo Shito  (Scorched Seed Train.  Got one germed last time, but it died as well.  I will do better this time.)  

Well, there it all is.  Once I get these seeds germinated and transplanted, I will probably need to do an inventory.  Things are  starting to get out of control.  I sense a lot of topping and pruning in my future.

juanitos said:
looks like you are going to have to top / strip lol. pretty big already in February.

Yeah, I didn't really expect to be doing so well right now.  I think I will have to refer to your grow log from last year when you stripped a bunch of plants of all of their leaves.  I probably just jinxed myself.  There is probably a lone aphid ready to reproduce and its offspring will cause me great headaches before outside planting time...

pepperguy1 said:
What do those Aji Melocoton taste like? :think:
They have a semi sweet taste with a heat buildup around Cayenne level, not any more than that.  Once I get a decent amount more, I would like to try making a salsa of some kind with them.  

Great glog. Thought I would pop over and check yours out after you were so complimentary.

You are going great guns. Filled three shelves and counting. I have seeds for the blue mystery. Remind me what is it? Is it a PL seed?

Some great varieties, some I have never heard of before. Following with interest.

heefy said:
Great glog. Thought I would pop over and check yours out after you were so complimentary.

You are going great guns. Filled three shelves and counting. I have seeds for the blue mystery. Remind me what is it? Is it a PL seed?

Some great varieties, some I have never heard of before. Following with interest.

Yeah, the Blue Mystery is from PL although I cannot find it on their webpage anymore.  I got three seeds from the Scorched Seed train and now I have two that germinated.  In all honesty, I have no idea what they look or taste like.  Just psyched to get something interesting to grow.  

I changed the name of the glog to "Out of Control" because my plants are just about too big.  Here are pics of my shelves from the bottom up....

4PcX5Jb.jpg

GYiruzF.jpg

4u1mBtQ.jpg

Zoinks!

Here are some pics of some individual plants.  

First up is a freebie I received from Rainbow Chili seeds called Vladan's Beauty F2.  Very purply.

PqPHH1F.jpg

Of course, if I had the camera skills like you other folks, these would look much better.

And here are two of my three Galapagoense's:

HXQppaA.jpg

Every previous year I screwed up started seeds and my plants were very small when it came time to plant out in the garden.  This year, everything grows (that germinated..).

Back