• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela's 2016 Glog

Had a hard time following the weather reports here in NJ this year (actually didn't pay attention) and a frost killed the garden before I could dig up plants and bring them in to OW.  I did grow some peppers in containers so I decided to move the best of them inside.  Thus, I am OW'ing the following:

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate grown from seeds from Baker's.  This plant did well in the container but really never produced any pods.  If I can keep it alive, it will kick butt next season.
Habanero White Bullet grown form seeds from Juanito.  Got plenty of pods from this guy and I am happy to OW it.  Still plenty of pods on it and I plan on harvesting them.
Cayenne Red that I purchased from a local store.  This plant was large for a store bought plant and did great.  I am still getting pods off of it after moving it indoors.  I definitely need to prune it back once I harvest all of the pods off of it.
Aji Melocoton grown from seeds from Pepperlover.  This plant grew true, it was not one of the Aji Penec's that some folks got (including myself) that were mislabeled.  I pruned it way back and the plant still is going strong. I can't imagine an OW'd baccatum. This should be fun.
Some unknown variety purchased from a local store that was mislabeled.  I will post pictures of the pods if anyone wants to guess what it is.  Large pendant pods that grow up and mature red.
Masquerade.  This plant was in a display that was at my father-in-law's wake.  We kept the display and I will do my best to keep this plant going.  These pods go from green to dark purple to red and grow upwards.  Nice plant and it will be a nice memory.

Other than that, I did start some seeds today as a first wave kind of thing.  I am using Park's starters as my planting medium.  Each starter block contains 18 cells in a 3 x 6 layout.  I planted three cells of the following:

Block 1:  Lindberg Figueroa peppers
Aji Jobito
Aji Llaneron
Aji Margariteno
Aji Pepon
Aji Rosita
Aji Rosita Rojo

Block 2: Seeds from peppers I grew or purchased.   The Thai Orange Large is from romy6.  The "Mel Unknown" are seeds from a pod a friend named Mel gave me.  He got the peppers from a trip to the Caribbean.  I have a picture somewhere of what a mature plant looks like and I will follow up with a post.
Thai Hot Ornamental
Thai Orange Large
Mel Unknown
Cumari Do Para
Peri Peri
Trotalino Amoraoso

Block 3: More seeds from plants I have grown in the past and a few from Wicked Mike's Seed Train from last season.
Aji Amarillo
Aji Colorado
Inca Red Drop
Criolla Sella
Guajillo
Birgit's Locoto

Not going with too many superhots up front.  Next rounds of seeds will get the superhots going.  I am liking the small hot pepper thing hence the Thai Hot Ornamental, the Cumari do Para and the Peri Peri.  I hope to get some CAP 691 seeds from Pepperlover.  Got some of them in a SFRB from Wicked Mike this season and I thought those peppers rocked.

Here is a pic of the Mel Unknown.  The plant grows very big it seems. I just have seeds. That is not a picture of any plant that I have.
5WVArEh.jpg

stickman said:
All is not lost Ben! The leggy plants aren't going to do well if you plant them as deep as they are in the pots now, but plant them deeper, so the leaves and stems are only a few inches above the ground, and the plant will put out roots from the stem deeper down. I always do this with my peppers and tomatoes if they need it, and they all seem to work out fine. Good luck with the rest of your season!

I hear ya.  These plants have been in these small pots since I transplanted them as seedlings.  I can't really move to bigger pots because I just don't have the room.   This makes things difficult when hardening off.  The plants just flop all over the place.  I will definitely follow your advice once I plant out in the garden.  Thanks!

D3monic said:
Some the early on leaf damage looks similar to spider mites. I often have a hard time telling the difference between spider mite damage and calcium deficiency. If you're having problems with plants growing too tall don't fight pod growth. I personally welcome it on my larger plants, helps slow them down. If plants are too droopy a fan helps strengthen them or you can use a small stake and tie them up. 

I've lost a few plants this grow as my work schedule has me barely ever home. Same issues with baccatums growing too tall too early. Can't wait for another month to plant out. 

Maybe put some thought into a small cheap greenhouse to put on the porch. Get them out from under the lights. Just make sure to harden them off to the green house first so they don't get sun burned. 

I think I know what my latest pest issue is.  They are whiteflies.  A lot of the leaves of the plants that I started early all have this sticky substance on them.  My older plants are losing all of their older leaves.  I have to get these flies under control.

I like the idea of the greenhouse.  I just ordered a crappy one off of Amazon to help me this year. 

Most of the plants that are dying are my annuums.  It is just a bummer when you put so much work into this stuff  and a pest just starts wiping them out.  I gotta turn this around.

Something else you might want to experiment with is (and if you've seen my glog, you know how drastic of a measure I consider this) severe topping. It might be beneficial to chop back some of the really unruly plants to maybe 3-4" tall. This well accomplish a few things. Plants won't be top heavy anymore, growth will no longer be out of control, you won't need to water every 7 minutes, treating for whiteflies will be easier... And the biggest selling point is probably how much easier it will be to harden your plants. If you keep your topped plants in the sun (maybe not intense, direct sun right away - stems can burn too) all of the new growth will harden as it grows! As long as temps are good and you keep them watered, they should be golden. Your plants probably have plenty of energy stored in their roots to fuel some really fast rebound growth.
     I understand that the predicament you're in sucks right now, but your plants still want to live. You have an opportunity to try a couple of different approaches to make your plants happy and productive. stickman and D3 both gave you great insight and advice, experiment with it and try to find out what turns your plants around. It's seasons like the one you're having right now that help build the skill set of a great grower! 

Haven't updated in awhile. 

A couple of pics of my clones.  The clones are growing pods. 

This first one doesn't look too good, but got a couple of pods.  I didn't label these clones so I don't know what they are.  They are some kind of baccatum pepper:
WG8mK6Y.jpg

And another with a pod.
ONHBti2.jpg

Here are a couple of plants, a Fresno and a Jalamundo that I was able to keep alive from the issues I had two weeks ago.  They are growing and for that I am happy.
ElVqDCM.jpg

Lastly, a pic of a Thai Hot Spezzano, seeds from THP member Big Mike.
03JQifO.jpg

Hoping to plant out next weekend.

Ya... definitely critter issues. Fortunately it won't be long 'til you can get your plants transplanted outside, and that'll take care of your crowding issues. The critter problem might transfer with them if you don't take any other action... you might want to wash the plants down to the bare roots in a gentle stream of water, and wash the sticky stuff from the leaves too. Hopefully that'll dislodge the pests from your plants and the soil around the roots so you don't just transfer the problem. You might also want to put in some companion plants that'll call in friendly insects like ladybugs and lacewings to groom your plants and keep them from getting re-infested. Basil and Cilantro both work pretty well in that regard and are tasty additions to spicy food.

stickman said:
 You might also want to put in some companion plants that'll call in friendly insects like ladybugs and lacewings to groom your plants and keep them from getting re-infested. Basil and Cilantro both work pretty well in that regard and are tasty additions to spicy food.

Good advice here ^. I've found that keeping companion plants is the most important (only, for me) factor in keeping peppers free of pests. My okra plants always get a few dozen aphids on them each year, but then the lacewings find them and it's game over. 
     I've never used basil and cilantro (marigolds have always been my huckleberry). I may have to give them a shot in the name of biodiversity. For SCIENCE!

I was contemplating okra this year after trying and loving pickled okra. Sounds like I should keep it far away from my peppers. 

D3monic said:
I was contemplating okra this year after trying and loving pickled okra. Sounds like I should keep it far away from my peppers. 

No problems there, whatsoever. I can't remember the last time I saw an aphid, mite or whitefly on one of my pepper plants. I grow my okra immediately adjacent to some of my pepper plants in the same raised bed.
     But, yeah. Definitely plant okra. They like the same type of soil that peppers do (maybe a little more P) and never need any supplemental water. Even during droughts they grow like weeds. It's truly amazing how fast their fruit grows compared to capsicums. They will triple in size over night! I have to pick mine every two or three days. Pretty much a maintenance free crop. 
     I've had really good luck with Clemson Spineless the last few years. This season, I'm trying a different dwarfish variety (Jambalaya) with smaller pods - should be better for pickling.

Just found your glog Ben, yeah, been slacking. I see you've had your share this season. don't feel like the Lone Ranger! Believe me we have all been there. And still even though we "seem" to know better, we sometimes wind up there.

Already good advice given here. But I have to comment (yeah shoot me) for next season (I'm always looking ahead) start the germ process a bit later so things are a bit more manageable. One other thing, and please I'm not criticizing here. It seems to me, the ferts are a bit too hot. And while I'm digging myself a hole here; leggy plants are that way due to not enough light. I hope you see this in a most positive light ;)

With that said, I feel you have really healthy plants that still have the potential to explode!

Good luck this season! I'm pulling for ya!

I want to say thank you to all that have given me advice.  I sincerely appreciate it.  It really is a great community here.  I will need to sit down over the winter and do a better job planning things out.  I started germinating seeds early this year because I had have issues with aphids in the past.  The aphids either killed plants or severely stunted their growth.  This year, I got on the ladybugs early and wiped out the aphids.  Since I wiped out the aphids, the plants grew well this year.  Unfortunately, I didn't have any plans for the plants after they got to about 12" tall.  I expanded my grow area and started way too many plants.  They all looked great.  I put them in trays with 18 square pots per tray.  The problems started happening once they started growing into the lights.  I really didn't have enough light to cover the entire area.  I topped some plants but that really wasn't enough.  Then, out of nowhere, I got a whiteflies and they got out of hand quickly.  Plants that didn't grow as quickly as the others didn't receive the light they needed and when combined with the whiteflies, the plants started dying.  Other plants that started out great became leggy.  Next year, I will need to have a plan for a second transplant into larger pots and find an area where I can keep those plants and get them all the light they need.

For this season, I still think I should do fine (for me).  Some of the plants I have are still in decent shape.  For the leggy plants, I will plant them deep and hope to get a very good root system going.  Those plants will not give me early peppers but I think I will do well in the later summer months. 

I brought almost all of plants outside today and put them in my cheapo greenhouse to harden them off.  Before I put them in the greenhouse, I sprayed alot of the plants with water to remove the sticky substance left behind by the whiteflies. 

I took a couple of pictures.  Here is a pic of my three Peruvian Purple plants.  All three are doing well.  They all have at least two full size pods on them.  I had heard that they do not taste that great.  I will keep one plant and probably give the other two away.

rTMpYKg.jpg

This second pic is of a Bubba plant.  I got the seeds from the Scorched Seed train.  This plant is doing well.  Note the discoloration at the top.  That is due to the plant growing into the lights.

ylGaazi.jpg

Looking forward to getting these plants in the dirt!  Probably will do it during the week.

I will say this, your peppers look much better than mine. This year for me has been a disaster so far, poor germing, and critters. One thing I have going for me is a double season, keep em alive through the heat and in the fall they'll kick back in.
Can't wait to see the gals in the dirt! And yeah Aphids suck! I had serious Aphids last year in the grow station. Just where do they come from when you planted from seed and no foreign introductions? Part of the game I guess...

No picture alert!  I lost my phone.  Once it shows up I will post pics of the garden.

Mostly planted out in the garden.  Containers still not done yet.  I have planted out the following peppers in dual rows:

Row 1 (mix):
Naglah
Bahamian Goat
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Guajillo from Wicked Mike's Seed Train
Thai Hot Spezzano
Doux d'Espagne
Jalapeno Biker Billy from Scuba Steve
Serrano

Row 2 (mix):
Fatalii Cream from Scuba Steve
Bhut Jolokia Giant
Aribibi Gusano
Aribibi Gusano from CCN
Chupetinho from CCN
Pervuian Serlano from CCN
Jalapeno Giant from Scuba Steve
Big Bang

Row 3 (annuums):
Guajillo
Ms Junie
Big Jim World Record
NuMex Big Jim Heritage
Big Bang
Ancient Sweet
Ancho Poblano
Lombak
Cayenne Purple
Cayenne Golden
Cayenne Red OW

Row 4 (annuums):
Jalapeno Titan
Jaloro
Jalapeno Biker Billy
Jalapeno Farmers Market
Jalapeno Giant
NuMex Jalamundo
NuMex Vaquero
Santa Fe Grande
Fresno
Serrano
Hidalgo

Row 5 (baccatums):
Aji Ahuachapan
Aji Amarillo
Aji Golden
Peruvian Giallo
Aji Mango
Sugar Rush Peach
Jamy (died.  Replaced with a Aji Pineapple I cloned)
Aji Cito
Aji Fantasy
Aji Calabaza PL

Row 6 (baccatums):
Dedo de Moca
Aji Angelo
Aji Benito
Aji Colorado
Naranga
Aji Verde
Bubba
Kaleidoscope
Dong Xuan
Inca Red Drop
Aji Melocoton OW

Row 7 (chinense):
Bhutlah Brown SLP
Bhutlah Chocolate
Habanero Chocolate
CPR (Chocolate Primo/Reaper)
UMCD
Nagabrains Chocolate
Borg 9 Chocolate
Borg 9 Bleeding
Mystery Red
Numex Suave Red
Shabu Shabu

Row 8 (chinense):
Bido Tacana
Bonda Ma Jacques
Fatalii (Helvete's)
Habalokia Peach Lavalamp
Petenero
Fatalii Mortalii
Scotch Brains
Scotch Bonnet MOA Red
M.A. Wartryx
Hendrix Yellow
CGN 21500

Row 9 (crosses + chinense):
CGN21500 x Galapagos Island Red Hab
Juanito cross (supposed to be a White Hab but it wasn't)
PDN x Bhut Jolokia
Kung Pao x Super
Kpakpo Shito
Krootown
Cheiro Recife
Habanero Mustard

Row 10 (frutescens):
Prik Kee Noo Suan
Zimbabwe Bird
Peri Peri
Cabai Burung Ungu
Catacamus Hot
Tabasco
Duke Pequin
Malagueta

Row 11 (mix):
Thai Hot Ornamental
Thai Adaptive Early (Grex)
Thai Orange Spezzano
Thai Orange Large
Orozco
Trotolino Amoraoso (died due to strong wind. Replaced with a Wiri Wiri.  Made two clones)
Aci Sivri
Shishito
Fort Worth Chiltepin
Onza

Row 12 (mix):
Takanotsume
Yatsufusa
Super Chile
Bobs Pickling
Chinese Multi
Buena Mulata
Peruvian Purple
Ammazzo
Mini Red Bell
Prik Chi Faa

Row 13 (mix):
Aji Cristal (not the growdown variety)
CAP1220
Bishop's Crown
Trepadeira Werner
Aji Omnicolor
Pilange
Criolla Sella
Chupetinho
Bod'E

Row 14 (mix):
Peanut
Amarillear
Birgit's Locoto
Earbob
C02598
Aji Norteno
Rainforest
Coyote Zan White
Trinidad Perfume

Still to be planted in containers:
3 x D3's Aji Pineapple x Butch T Yellow
3 x C. Galapagoense
Cumari Pollux
2 x Manzano Orange
2 x Cumari do Para
2 x PI543208
Manzano Red
2 x CGN20800
3 x CGN24360
3 x Vladan's Beauty F2
2 x Blue Mystery
1 x Aji Jobito
1 x Aji Margariteno
2 x Aji Rosita Rojo

In containers already:
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate OW
Habanero White Bullet OW

Also planted some tomatos:
Golden Jubilee
Cherokee Purple
Purple Calabash
Black Krim
Amazon Chocolate
Dark Galaxy
Red Lightning
2 x Super Sweet 100

And three tomatillos:
Zuni
Grande Rio Verde
Toma Verde

Will be planting 30 or so plants at my Sister's place soon.

Ok plants.   Start growin'!

Wow!

You certainly will be a busy one!

Good luck will all the plants, and I can't wait to see the mountains of pods!

Picked up some of dis for mulch this year. Looks cool.

GEOHIPw.jpg

Put a first layer of mulch on the garden.  Here is a quickie first photo of the season.  Note the silly looking plastic Culti Cave greenhouse in the back.  I just put it up yesterday.  I need to figure out the temp in there during the day.  The far side window is mesh so there is some airflow.  I was hoping to put my D3 Aji Pineapple x Yellow Butch T crosses in there for isolation.  I will put a thermometer in there tomorrow and find out what is up.  I do have some pods forming but my single pod picture skills completely suck.  All the photos I have taken are blurry.  I will keep trying and post soon.

xkwVbkN.jpg

Back