• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

bpiela's 2016 Glog

Had a hard time following the weather reports here in NJ this year (actually didn't pay attention) and a frost killed the garden before I could dig up plants and bring them in to OW.  I did grow some peppers in containers so I decided to move the best of them inside.  Thus, I am OW'ing the following:

Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate grown from seeds from Baker's.  This plant did well in the container but really never produced any pods.  If I can keep it alive, it will kick butt next season.
Habanero White Bullet grown form seeds from Juanito.  Got plenty of pods from this guy and I am happy to OW it.  Still plenty of pods on it and I plan on harvesting them.
Cayenne Red that I purchased from a local store.  This plant was large for a store bought plant and did great.  I am still getting pods off of it after moving it indoors.  I definitely need to prune it back once I harvest all of the pods off of it.
Aji Melocoton grown from seeds from Pepperlover.  This plant grew true, it was not one of the Aji Penec's that some folks got (including myself) that were mislabeled.  I pruned it way back and the plant still is going strong. I can't imagine an OW'd baccatum. This should be fun.
Some unknown variety purchased from a local store that was mislabeled.  I will post pictures of the pods if anyone wants to guess what it is.  Large pendant pods that grow up and mature red.
Masquerade.  This plant was in a display that was at my father-in-law's wake.  We kept the display and I will do my best to keep this plant going.  These pods go from green to dark purple to red and grow upwards.  Nice plant and it will be a nice memory.

Other than that, I did start some seeds today as a first wave kind of thing.  I am using Park's starters as my planting medium.  Each starter block contains 18 cells in a 3 x 6 layout.  I planted three cells of the following:

Block 1:  Lindberg Figueroa peppers
Aji Jobito
Aji Llaneron
Aji Margariteno
Aji Pepon
Aji Rosita
Aji Rosita Rojo

Block 2: Seeds from peppers I grew or purchased.   The Thai Orange Large is from romy6.  The "Mel Unknown" are seeds from a pod a friend named Mel gave me.  He got the peppers from a trip to the Caribbean.  I have a picture somewhere of what a mature plant looks like and I will follow up with a post.
Thai Hot Ornamental
Thai Orange Large
Mel Unknown
Cumari Do Para
Peri Peri
Trotalino Amoraoso

Block 3: More seeds from plants I have grown in the past and a few from Wicked Mike's Seed Train from last season.
Aji Amarillo
Aji Colorado
Inca Red Drop
Criolla Sella
Guajillo
Birgit's Locoto

Not going with too many superhots up front.  Next rounds of seeds will get the superhots going.  I am liking the small hot pepper thing hence the Thai Hot Ornamental, the Cumari do Para and the Peri Peri.  I hope to get some CAP 691 seeds from Pepperlover.  Got some of them in a SFRB from Wicked Mike this season and I thought those peppers rocked.

Here is a pic of the Mel Unknown.  The plant grows very big it seems. I just have seeds. That is not a picture of any plant that I have.
5WVArEh.jpg

Postin' an update.  Plants are all growing strong.  Here is a shot of 3 chinense plants, a Borg 9 Bleeding, a CPR and a Red Scotch Bonnet MOA:

VX47mbs.jpg

Here is a Birgit's Locoto that had some problems early on and I had to prune it back.  Lots of growth all over and many flowers:

GLSXey3.jpg

Oops!  If I look close enough, I see a pepper growing!  Doh!

LZuO1cR.jpg

Lastly, a picture of an Aji Fantasy that is doing well...

bvXqG1H.jpg

My baccatums are all mostly too tall since I started them way too f'ing early.  I will prune some back and post some photos.

Looking forward to planting some Peruvian Serlanos!

Quick post update.  First, my three D3monic crosses.  I only have Aji Pineapple x Butch T Yellow.  I had an early problem with the Inca Berry cross and lost the one that I had.

Qt1UC2D.jpg

I went away for the weekend and I come back and the plants seem to have taken off again.  Here is a pic off my middle shelf with a Aji Pineapple growing up way past the lights.  I believe I will be pruning that one this weekend.

PSMl8ZD.jpg

So, I am posted these pics of my wiri wiri plants.  The leaves have always looked a little funky.  I did do a search on this forum and saw that kentishman had some issues with these kind of peppers a few years ago.   Anyone have any thoughts as to why these are growing this way?  Maybe they are sensitive to something I am doing....

Here is a standard pic of all three plants:

Ewv6ztT.jpg

So, we are seeing leaf curl and some leaf discoloration.  Here is a birds eye view of the three of them:

iV37sju.jpg

The leaf shapes are odd as well.  Here is one where I tried to get in real close.  I unfortunately do not have Meteora's photography talent so please bear with me...

CwIR8Hy.jpg

They are growing slower than other peppers I started at the same time, but I don't think that means much.  Any thoughts are always appreciated.

Thanks!

Did some pruning today.  Here are some before/after shots, including some poorly taken pictures.

Here is a Jamy before/after:

FzZmsjr.jpg
7M5gkJF.jpg

Next is another baccatum (possibly Aji Norteno) that I cannot read the label from my horrible photos. I had to hold it up...:

Z4YEj5L.jpg
7HNnLcO.jpg

Here is an Aji Pineapple:

MkWedfN.jpg
XJcw9Yv.jpg

A blurry before picture of a Pilange and after:

LiK8IIJ.jpg
mZ3W92h.jpg

Another Aji Pineapple:

uV9SSei.jpg
6nTaoJl.jpg

Here is a Aji Calabeza that grew into the light and got burned, before/after:

mrotKtz.jpg
8mMR6sN.jpg

Lastly, an Aji Amarillo:

1yBEATD.jpg
MbNqvOj.jpg

Updates:

My shelves on the left contain my OWs on the bottom.  They are doing well.  Can't wait to move them outside.  Up top are the last peppers that I have started.  I have the Peruvian Serlano's in the dome in the middle.  In the plastic cups are clones I am experimenting with.  They are the tops of the plants that I topped last week.  Most are taking.  A couple of the left there didn't make it.

U5YNJPG.jpg

Here is a pic of my main shelves.  Totally out of control.  Not exactly sure what to do with a month and a half before plant out.  I have peppers growing so I think I will let the plants concentrate on the fruits instead of more growth. 

6fQXZVr.jpg

Here is a Trepadeira Werner that I had topped but is growing a pepper nonetheless.

IAkbBBL.jpg

I am concerned that all of my plants that I started in Jan and before are root bound.  I am thinking about talking to a nursery down the road to see if they have any space in their Greenhouse to rent.  If I could do that, I could re-pot into larger pots...

Got a lot of "S" shaped plants.  Can I assume that my fan situation is lacking?  The plants are top heavy and if I pull the trays off of the shelf for maintenance, many of them tip over.

Also, some plants have a sticky substance on the leaves.  Could that be something that fungus gnats leave behind for their young?  I do have a decent amount of gnats...

Some picture updates.  I have pods!  Here are a few:

For starters, we have a couple of CGN 24360's.  Tons of blooms and a singular pod on the plant on the right...
NwwvI1S.jpg

Here is a baccatum CAP 1220 seeds from Fatalli.net.  I am laying it on its side so that the poddage is better viewable.
7iiUtMA.jpg

Lastly, for today, we have an Ancient Sweet, seeds from the Scorched Seed Train.  If you look at the upper right, you will see a very large pepper with a little light burn.
wNHZ0SC.jpg

Here is a better angle, although the picture sucks.
SrhRVxk.jpg

I took the lights off of the top shelf and put the physically on the top most shelf in order to give me some more room.  I went through alot of plants and found a bunch that were tall and moved them to the top shelf.  Here is how it looks now.  The C. Galapagoense are the tallest plants I have right now, although they are not showing any blooms.

jAllfSW.jpg

I have more plants with pods but the pics I took were blurry.  One Jamy plant has like 6 pods growing and my one Mortalii has a large pod growing on it.

Healthy looking plants. Have you popped any of them out of their pots to see how the roots are doing? You might have to be really aggressive in breaking them up when you transplant.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:
     Healthy looking plants. Have you popped any of them out of their pots to see how the roots are doing? You might have to be really aggressive in breaking them up when you transplant.

I have not done that yet.  I do see that as an issue.  Personally, I have never had good luck starting peppers so I didn't expect this to happen.

Not sure what to take pictures of.  Plants are too big, growing into the lights, probably need bigger pots, I do not have the room.  Hoping the next month speeds by so that I can get this stuff out into the ground.

Anyways, here is a pic of a Peruvian Giallo Arancio from Fatalii.net seeds.  We have poddage:

efJpoKM.jpg

Here is a pic of my cloning experiment.  Awhile back, I topped a bunch of plants.  I took about 10 of the cuttings and tried to use them as clones.  Two of them didn't make it but the rest look great.  Too bad I didn't label anything...

aQAkbsQ.jpg

I am starting to not enjoy this.  Plants are starting to die.  My baccatum's are all too tall and unable to stand under their own weight.  I have some kind of crazy small white bug that is not an aphid that I know of that is killing the old growth.

Here is a great photo of some plants that were in the back of a shelf that died due to being next to larger plants that blocked out the light.

w4aWMlw.jpg

I decided to bring some plants outside today and that has been a freakin' waste of time.  These plants suck!

IDT3pco.jpg

O4NiE60.jpg

Here is a crappy photo of a plant that is growing sideways in an S-turn.
AsFGsx9.jpg

On a side note, here is a photo of the D3 Aji Pineapple x Butch T Yellow.  They seem to be doing well.
r0o1C5h.jpg

All is not lost Ben! The leggy plants aren't going to do well if you plant them as deep as they are in the pots now, but plant them deeper, so the leaves and stems are only a few inches above the ground, and the plant will put out roots from the stem deeper down. I always do this with my peppers and tomatoes if they need it, and they all seem to work out fine. Good luck with the rest of your season!

Some the early on leaf damage looks similar to spider mites. I often have a hard time telling the difference between spider mite damage and calcium deficiency. If you're having problems with plants growing too tall don't fight pod growth. I personally welcome it on my larger plants, helps slow them down. If plants are too droopy a fan helps strengthen them or you can use a small stake and tie them up. 

I've lost a few plants this grow as my work schedule has me barely ever home. Same issues with baccatums growing too tall too early. Can't wait for another month to plant out. 

Maybe put some thought into a small cheap greenhouse to put on the porch. Get them out from under the lights. Just make sure to harden them off to the green house first so they don't get sun burned. 

Back