• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

BREAKFAST!!!

I was looking for a breakfast thread and never found one that seemed open-ended enough to post on. So here y'all go!

Posty up your breakfast if you like, even if it's cold leftover pizza.

No time for words? No problem. Show us your awesome yellowish cell phone camera pic. No obligation to write out a recipe here if you don't want to.

Forgot to take a picture until halfway through the meal? Perfect! Selfie photo-op.

Whoops! You made brunch instead? That's cool... it counts.

I'll go first with a take on a Cuban breakfast called Huevos Habaneros. It means Havana Eggs, but it's not made with Habaneros. In fact, it's not traditionally spicy hot. (Cuban meals typically aren't.) So, I had to SoFlo it up a bit and call it something different.

Huevos SoFlo

12696616545_24ec2f99e5_b.jpg

These are eggs baked over sofrito with butter on top in a custard cup for about 12 minutes at 375 F (yolks are still a bit runny). Then topped with more sofrito and garnished with some cayenne powder, but sofrito isn't spicy hot either. So...

Sofrito Caliente

(Enough for one serving)

1/4 cup chopped onion
1 Fresno pepper (cored and chopped)
1 green jalapeno (cored and chopped)
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp ground cumin
1/4 cup peeled, cored, chopped tomato
olive oil for sauteing

Saute the onion and peppers till the onion is translucent. Then add the garlic and cumin for a minute more. Then toss in the tomato for another minute or two. Salt and black pepper to taste.

Do it up y'all!

Let's see what breaks your fast.

Shallots,red bell,fresh garlic,purple asparagus,broccoli,shrooms,carrots,s/p,herbs de provence, sauteed in a little clarified brown butter
20160223_171627.jpg

Then when that was cooked I turned off the heat and added some of my Scottish smoked salmon that I smoked over sour apple wood
20160223_171817.jpg

Used 2 eggs and 1 egg white from my hens for the omelette 
20160223_174228.jpg

Hit it with some sriracha- man I really miss my homemade sriracha gonna make a couple gallons this year
20160223_174518.jpg

:cheers:

that would be a nice way to give salmon a try again ...

haven't traditionally liked salmon though ... or broccoli ...

okay never mind, pass me some homebrew for breakfast .... fuck it ...

grantmichaels said:
that would be a nice way to give salmon a try again ...

haven't traditionally liked salmon though ... or broccoli ...

okay never mind, pass me some homebrew for breakfast .... f**k it ...
Salmon is great but I prefer it smoked, rarely eat it any other way. 

grantmichaels said:

i childhood of being challenged by lox and caper bagels has me skrrrd ...

I understand - they call it smoked salmon but Lox is more cured than smoked, or at least it doesn't pick up much smoke flavor in the cold smoke process.  The fish Bum posted above has been hot smoked.  The fat slowly renders and the fish takes up a good amount of smokey greatness as it cooks.  The resultant piece of fish is great in pretty much everything, including w capers on bagels.  ;)

A couple pound filet brined overnight will take about 30-45 minutes or so in the smoker at 225 degrees, depending on thickness.  My favorite is to eat it hot right then with assorted pickles and some good bread.  The wife likes it best chilled overnight and served cold as a first course.  

SmokenFire said:

I understand - they call it smoked salmon but Lox is more cured than smoked, or at least it doesn't pick up much smoke flavor in the cold smoke process.  The fish Bum posted above has been hot smoked.  The fat slowly renders and the fish takes up a good amount of smokey greatness as it cooks.  The resultant piece of fish is great in pretty much everything, including w capers on bagels.   ;)

A couple pound filet brined overnight will take about 30-45 minutes or so in the smoker at 225 degrees, depending on thickness.  My favorite is to eat it hot right then with assorted pickles and some good bread.  The wife likes it best chilled overnight and served cold as a first course.  

i don't always like the item, but i'm good about periodically challenging myself with things i haven't enjoyed in the past, so i'll give it a go soon ...

certainly black beans, sauerkraut, coffee, beer, peas, zucchini, cabbage, and brussel sprouts are all things that i didn't like for most of my life =)

i've got this killer recipe for tequila cured gravlax I have always wanted to make. Wild king salmon is in fresh right now I think it's a good weekend to make some. You would like smoke over lox GM, to me lox is only cured no smoke. but some consider cold smoking lox also, either way its good. On the other hand you may dig tequila cured or vodka has a lot of citrus and fresh dill etc. 

grantmichaels said:
maple brine?
I use dark brown sugar or raw sugar usually 2 cups sugar to 1 cup kosher. cover entire piece of fish let sit over night- 12 hours. then rinse lightly dry and let sit un-covered in the ice box over night again, smoke at 210-225 until done. 

Par-boil cubed potatoes with a few tablespoons of white vinegar added to the water. Cook up some chorizo, then some poblano peppers and green onions. Fry the potatoes in the chorizo grease, then add the peppers and onions. Crack 4 or 5 eggs into wells and throw in the oven to finish. Top with cavocado, cilantro, and hot sauce of choice. I went with valentina black.
ehPMKD6.jpg

Made some "eggs in a cloud". Super easy, just separate 2 eggs, beat the whites to stiff peaks with a bit of salt & pepper. Spoon the egg whites onto some buttered bread (I used a split english muffin), make a little pocket for the yolk & dump them back in. Bake at 400F for 5-10 min til nice and golden.

Next time I'm going to fold in some crumbled bacon after beating the eggs and probably use something besides english muffins since they were hard to cut with a knife & fork and the end result was too tall to eat like a muffin. Still delicious though just a bit messy.

25XYOFfh.jpg

s3XEO67h.jpg

Back