• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Breaking Bread

Started baking some bread for both Christmas Eve and Christmas Day dinner. Here are the first couple out of the oven.

image.jpeg

Fife is my main staple since people with gluten intolerance can eat it, works just like regular flour. The other one I want to get is Einkorn flour, triple the price here but very taste, oldest ancient grain their is.

dragonsfire said:
Fife is my main staple since people with gluten intolerance can eat it, works just like regular flour. The other one I want to get is Einkorn flour, triple the price here but very taste, oldest ancient grain their is.

I'm not sure whether fife wheat is available at this end. And I presume you mean red fife wheat? (this is what comes up when I do a go0gLe search)

But I'm almost certain that einkorn is. I'll have to try it. it could take me a while because I'll have to get a new starter going, but there's fun in that too.
(and for this purpose gluten intolerance is not quite the same as celiac disease, correct?)

Einkorn is 18% protein, full body and real food, great taste. The Red Fife is from Scotland, brought over to Canada and grown in a nice amount.

dragonsfire said:
Great Looking Bread.
Rosemary Garlic my next bread :)
I put Rosemary in everything. The lemon zest in here adds something great to the loaf. Makes great grilled cheese sandwiches.

@BamsBBQ - How does the olive oil in the bread change the texture / taste? And when do you add it?

Great looking loaves BTW!

nice.chili said:
@BamsBBQ - How does the olive oil in the bread change the texture / taste? And when do you add it?

Great looking loaves BTW!
I add it at right away with all the other ingredients. Depending on the quality of your olive oil and how much you add. I never measure so can be stronger one time to another. It doesn't effect the texture for me.

dragonsfire said:
Depends on the oil and how you are with Olive oil, some people dont like it. I add it at the beginning.
same

wiriwiri said:

Great looking bread Bams...I'm impressed. ;)
Thanks. We are always experimenting. Some of these were cooked in my Dutch oven while others were cooked in my Emile Henri

So I got the einkorn starter going and tested it out today with an einkorn sourdough half-boule:
sourdough-5-1.jpg

sourdough-5-2.jpg

There wasn't so much rise with it, but the crumb was still good. The starter has been going for 2.5 weeks, so it might still need a little more time to really shine. However I've read that einkorn doesn't have the same gluten structure, thus maybe not surprising. Sour in taste and very good!

Management and sidekick (the dog) indicated their approval... I now have half a half boule after just one sitting.

Zucchini Bread

Zucchini
Fife Flour 2 cups
Eggs 2
Welsh White Cheddar
Nutmeg
cinnamon
ginger powder
Fancy Molasses 1/4 cup
butter 1/2 cup
Powder buttermilk
baking powder.