• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Buffalo Fried Okra

Has anybody ever tried this?It was pretty tasty,I don't think I'll ever fix it plain again!I used a corn flour instead of cornmeal.I don't like the grainyness of the cornmeal.
pix0424.jpg

Looks good.

I used cornmeal, a little flour, salt, cajun seasoning and naga powder for my last breading mix. I have some masa harina and will try that next batch and see how it goes, but I'm from the deep south and it's hard to beat Martha White cornmeal. ;)

Martha White rules for cornbread.I would think the Masa Harina would be good.It's ground pretty fine.Just don't like the Fried texture of corn meal.I'm like that with fried oysters and shrimp.Corn flour,perfect.I forgot to mention I blanched the okra first,and then soaked in buttermilk before breading.I wish I'd grown more of the okra now!

Looks damn good! Only have five okra plants going here and wish I had some more too. The last few times I've used panko when fried just because it's what I have here.

I've got more okra than I can consume and have started freezing a lot. Okra really likes the heat and humidity here. There's over 10LBs sitting in a bag in the kitchen right now.

I wet mine in egg/milk wash before breading and no blanching. I've found that buttermilk makes the okra too slimy. Never wash your okra until you're ready to cut it up and cook it.

So you don't like your chicken fried in cornmeal either?

Silver_Surfer said:
I wet mine in egg/milk wash before breading and no blanching. I've found that buttermilk makes the okra too slimy. Never wash your okra until you're ready to cut it up and cook it.

Balnching seems to have corrected this.I only have 2 Burgandy plants so I have to stockpile(freeze)it.Peppers were my priority this year.

So you don't like your chicken fried in cornmeal either?

No,but onetime at the beach I dropped it...I imagine it tasted similar...Do you use it on chicken fried steak also?
We need a chicken fried steak thrownown!I use crushed saltines for that.Awsome crust!Chunky white gravy!

All you need is some lettuce and a big-ass hook. Some people try to catch them by running them over with their boats, but there's no sport in that. Too easy!

...and when you get 'em on your boat, you have to dress him up with a hat and a tropical shirt in case you get stopped. Just tell the cops its your fat buddy and he's passed out.

The OKRA looks damn good, Scoville! I haven't done fried okra since new-years, I think I'll have to give it a try using your recipe! Bet it was great with the wing sauce!

scoville said:
I only have 2 Burgandy plants so I have to stockpile(freeze)it.Peppers were my priority this year.

No,but onetime at the beach I dropped it...I imagine it tasted similar...Do you use it on chicken fried steak also?
We need a chicken fried steak thrownown!I use crushed saltines for that.Awsome crust!Chunky white gravy!

I probably have 200 plants, dunno never counted em.

I always use cornmeal for chicken and it is just perfect. If yours is still so grainy maybe you aren't double dippin. :D

I don't cook chickeb fried steak that often but when I do I use Martha White flour and seasoning of course and make a milk gravy.

Here's an old pic of my 2 okra rows. It's over head high now.
80x40-7-1-09.jpg

Nice looking garden!A couple waves of corn is always a good thing.I remember shucking a lot more than that back in the day.Yes,it looks like you have the okra covered also!Mine are starting to branch so I'm hoping to get a bit more.
4' now.Things are kind of different here.I'm starting my fall/winter tomatoes now.

Sickmont said:
It's frowned upon highly if you catch them

If you can catch em-ride em!
Sorry,I grew up out west...

I worked with a Dominican guy who said they were very tasty,but then he liked Tarpon also!
One day I was just chillin' in the surf at Honeymoon Island(surf,Ha!)
I saw a large wave pushing towards me about 100 yards off,paralelling the shore.No fin,no problem.It kept comming,right towards me.I stood ground.It passed by just 3' away,the thing was almost a grander I guess,the push from the water almost knocked me over!Just kept cruisin!

scoville said:

You sure about that? :hell:

I've been known to make a wicked chicken fried steak or 3. ;)

And this thread might make me give okra another shot.

I haven't tried it rolled in hot sauce first, I like the small whole pods fried, I was thinking about injecting them with a little crab boil b4
frying.

Silver_Surfer said:
I wet mine in egg/milk wash before breading and no blanching.
And it's not tough? Okra is so fibrous, even when you stew it you have to slow cook it for a good while.

Looks good scoville.

Silver_Surfer said:
Looks good.

I used cornmeal, a little flour, salt, cajun seasoning and naga powder for my last breading mix. I have some masa harina and will try that next batch and see how it goes, but I'm from the deep south and it's hard to beat Martha White cornmeal. ;)

Yeah, man...I can dig it.

I got two of these when I found 'em for .99 ea.

S6303878.jpg

Back