• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

bugs

gardenkiller said:
Okay I work for a co-op. I had an agronomist come by today and told me that my problem was definately aphids. Dunno for sure how I am gonna get rid of them, but the damage to my plants looks very similar to yours.

Aphids wouldn't eat holes that large in the leaves. You may have aphids, but that's not what's eating the holes in the leaves.

Most pyrethrin and soap sprays or Neem will kill them, but you'll want to repeat the treatment in about 5 days, and then possibly a third time to make sure you get all the young before they can start reproducing.

Will the aphids stop eating on one particular hole and start another or is it possible that there is a group of aphids that will eat on the same holes therefore making them larger? When is the best time to see Aphids or is it if you have an aphid problem you won't be able to miss them?

Dale

Aphids

peachaph.jpg

Aphid damage

gpapepperssm.jpg

I just don't believe the aphids chewed the holes in those leaves. You may well have aphids, but something else chewed the holes in those leaves. Look under the new, tender leaves or at the growing tips of the plants and see if you see very small bugs.

Looks like what an earwig would do to leaves nasty looking bugs but I am not an expert. Just had them one time and that is what the leaves look like. I agree with Pam too
Dan

LET IT BURN

if they aren't slugs or snails...though some spiders might still eat those...you should get some spiders and let them live in the plants. they won't harm the plants at all, but will eat just about anything that is there to eat the plant.

xgrafcorex said:
if they aren't slugs or snails...though some spiders might still eat those...you should get some spiders and let them live in the plants. they won't harm the plants at all, but will eat just about anything that is there to eat the plant.

How do you get some spiders, and what kind would be the best?

Spiders don't squick me like they do a lot of people, but I don't know as much about them as I probably should.

peachaph.jpg

These are the little buggers I have on my plants. Anyone have a good sure fire way to get rid of them? Also they seem to come in tandem with some kind of green fly type thing? any clues?

Hmm Boags said:
Also they seem to come in tandem with some kind of green fly type thing? any clues?

Could it be a green lacewing you're seeing?

green-lacewing-1.jpg

'Cause that would be really good.

Pam said:
Could it be a green lacewing you're seeing?

green-lacewing-1.jpg

'Cause that would be really good.

Well if it's not a lace wine it's the lacewings younger brother. Thet do look just like that. Are they ok to have about?

Hmm Boags said:
Well if it's not a lace wine it's the lacewings younger brother. Thet do look just like that. Are they ok to have about?

They eat aphids, thrips, spider mites and whiteflies.

So, yeah, they're ok to have about.

pam - i started a thread on another forum to find out what type of spiders people recommend. so far it would seem that it really depends on what these pests are. i don't know if any spiders really eat slugs..maybe tarantulas. also i don't know where thepodpiper lives, so i don't know what kind of spiders are there either.

as for getting spiders...i would just catch local ones, or there is a website that you can order some species from that are very inexpensive. if they are flying pests, some type of orb weaver would be good since they make those nice round webs to catch food..other that, the first thing that comes to mind are Peucetia viridans or green lynx spider. http://www.richard-seaman.com/Wallpaper/Nature/Spiders/GreenLynxSpiderHeadOn.jpg

any luck finding out what exactly is behind all this podpiper?

xgrafcorex, actually I have put that on the back burner for now I have a much bigger problem that is affecting almost every pepper I have and it does'nt seem to be bug related. I am going to take some plants to my county extension office first thing in the morning. If it is a virus I will lose around 100 varieties. I hope there is a fix. I think I will take a pain killer tonight LOL.

Dale

Hmm Boags said:
peachaph.jpg

These are the little buggers I have on my plants. Anyone have a good sure fire way to get rid of them? Also they seem to come in tandem with some kind of green fly type thing? any clues?

Most soaps/sprays/powders will kill aphids. Most take at least 3 or 4 applications to kill all of em, maybe more, just read product directions. Biggest thing I have been told is to control the ant population of the infestation area because ants will actually herd aphids onto plants. Hope that is helpful.

Pam said:
They eat aphids, thrips, spider mites and whiteflies.

So, yeah, they're ok to have about.

I had some greenfly on one of my red savina's and one of those lacewing things. I thought the lacewing was big momma so I killed it.....DOH!!!!!!! ;)

bowhunter said:
Looks like what an earwig would do to leaves nasty looking bugs but I am not an expert. Just had them one time and that is what the leaves look like. I agree with Pam too
Dan

LET IT BURN

I hate earwigs, but they are definitely nocturnal munchers!

I had the same damage on many of my peppers but I noticed that since the weather just warmed up and there has been a growth spurt, there isn't any more damage. Either these bugs don't like more mature (tougher?) leaves or the season for this kind of bug is over (caterpillar?).

Back