• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Bulgarian Carrot

Has anyone grown these? Supposedly they are not very hot but my son took various peppers to work. All the guys agreed it was very hot, at least hotter than a Thai Dragon or Pequin - by a significant amount.

Mike

A few weeks back I posted a "What type of pepper" thread, and someone suggested carrots. Never did find out what it was, exactly, but whatever it was, it was hot - but not any hotter than a really hot jalapeno. And it tasted amazing.

Hmmm.

I am growing some now, but have removed most of the flowers since germination back in Feb. I did let some grow and tried them, and I gotta say, I wasn't too impressed. Maybe because out of season, but the flesh wasn't hot, and the taste was like capsicum (bell pepper) in flavour.
the seeds had a bit of kick.
I am hoping that when I do let them grow that they'll look good as a low hedge, and be reasonable for filling with cream cheese and deep frying.

RS

theres plenty of people here that have grown BC. this is my 1st year & the 1 plant is not up to par (no thanks to CCN my other one was recieved dead!!) like what others have shown (big & prolific) mine is so so & no ripe ones yet to try.

I tried growing bulgarian carrot this year. I am using an earth box, and I planted it between two habs. It got crowded out and wasn't doing very well so I removed it. I tried a couple of unripe pods and was not impressed. They were not yet orange.

I was really excited to grow the BC this year based on the pictures I saw of it. Now I finally have some ripe ones. I like the taste and the heat level is decent but these things have the toughest skin I have ever seen. It's like biting through a plastic membrane. I hate that because every bite I'm pulling out chunks of skin. I think I'll just grind them up for powder.

I like this one but as said before it's just the seeds tat are hot. The plants re huge and look great when loaded with pods! These get used as kebab fillers, look wonderful!

Diabolus said:
I was really excited to grow the BC this year based on the pictures I saw of it. Now I finally have some ripe ones. I like the taste and the heat level is decent but these things have the toughest skin I have ever seen. It's like biting through a plastic membrane. I hate that because every bite I'm pulling out chunks of skin. I think I'll just grind them up for powder.

Seems to be a personal choice chilli as differing opnions on it..as for me found it very slow to grow and just waiting for pods to ripen :)

Back