• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

food BUMPER'S FLOG

grantmichaels said:
Pics, always ... for the glory!

Just for you big fella! 

Attachments

• IMG_1152.JPG
    IMG_1152.JPG
    107 KB · Views: 40
grantmichaels said:
Cool ... somewhat amazingly, really, I haven't yet done pastrami ...

One of these weeks!
I hear you.  As it is topside, this one will be a mash and cabbage, with leftover hash.. When I can find a brisket cut here (costco maybe)  I'll pull out the stops for pastrami...  This will be a good test of the base flavours though before committing to the brisket bells and whistles pastrami.  

Oh, and being gadget purchase week, I ordered one of these from amazon yesterday...  thanks for the rec!

http://www.amazon.com/Super-Peel-Pizza-Solid-White/dp/B001T6OVPO

tctenten said:
Damn... That looks fine. Posty up the recipe.
From Paul Hollywood's Bread:

Ingredients

400g strong white bread flour
7g fast action dried yeast
300ml cool water
2tbsp olive oil plus extra for oiling
7g salt

mix half the flour, water and yeast in a bowl with a wooden spoon until combined.  Cover and rest for 6 hours minimum (I did these for 12).

Put the dough in a mixer, add the other ingredients (avoid salt straight on the yeast) and mix for 15 minutes.

Put the dough in an oiled square plastic container (approx 20cm by 12cm high).  Rest for 2 hours or until doubled in size.

Fire up the oven to 220c

Tip the dough out.  Cut in half.  Proof for 15 minutes (did these in the banneton for 30 minutes) in a clean plastic bag

Bake for 30 minutes.

Tinnie said:
I havent had corned beef in years!! Yummo!!

Can i expect to see lashings of white sauce when its finished Bumper?
White onion sauce, potato mash and baby peas to be precise!  Going back to my childhood too, years since I have had one.  

Bumper said:
Dinner.  Forgot to add the balsamic vinegar shallots but went one better with Ange's homemade Piccalilli pickle.  God that is good stuff.   Oatmeal stout came before the glass of shiraz... Crabapple paste and a little red bhut jelly on my plate as well.
Nice spread!

Working on the chicken now.  Going authentic.  Using Rick Stein's India recipe for Butter chicken

4 large chicken breasts ( I am using two packs of thigh meat as it is better!) cut into large cubes

First marinade (add to chicken for 1 hour)

Juice of 2 lines
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp salt

Second marinade ( blend the ingredients and add to the chicken in marinade 1 and refridgerate for 4 hours)
50g yogurt
50g double cream
4 cloves garlic 
5 cm ginger
1 tsp garam masala
1 tsp tumeric
3/4 tsp ground cumin

Preheat the oven to 240c

thread the chicken on skewers and lay over a roasting pan for 15 minutes, turn once - not completely cooked but looking for a little char

While the chicken is cooking, make the sauce:

50g ghee or vegetable oil
5 cloves garlic - crushed
5 cm ginger grated fine
1 tsp chilli powder
400ml tomato passata
1/2 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp garam masala
1tsp dessicated coconut
1 1/2 tsp salt
200ml water
25g cashew nuts
25g pumpkin seeds
1 tbsp dried fenugreek leaves
1/2 tsp caster sugar
45ml double cream

method - heat ghee, add garlic, ginger, fry for a minute.  stir in passata and simmer for 5 minutes.  Add all the spices, coconut, salt and 100ml of water and simer for a further 10 minutes.
Blend the nuts and seeds and a little boiling water in a processor to a paste. stir this into the sauce, add the chicken and more of the water if needed.  
Simmer for 10 minutes, then stir in the fenugreek leaves, sugar and cream, stir for 2 minutes.  Garnish with fresh coriander.  Pics to come.. 

And dinner.  Ran out of time for naan breads, but best butter chicken I have had.  Finished with Ange's peach chutney and some broccolini.  Roasting the chicken on kebabs was well worth it, added more flavour as it sealed the marinade on the chicken.

Mine got 1/2 a dried smoked red bhut to finish.  Highly recommend giving this one a go.  

Attachments

• 20160430_081234406_iOS.jpg
    20160430_081234406_iOS.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 42
  • 20160430_084404047_iOS.jpg
    20160430_084404047_iOS.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 41
  • 20160430_090409493_iOS.jpg
    20160430_090409493_iOS.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 45
Back