• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

BUMPER'S FLOG

Not wanting to photobomb other's fine food threads, I figured I would start one up of mine.  

Sunday roast seems like a good way to start.  Today is pulled pork.  

Rubbed pork shoulder, about to go in for a slow cook for 6-7 hours.  Rub is brown sugar, garlic powder, celery salt, onion powder, dried sage, smoked paprika and a few dried cayenne peppers blitzed.  

[/URL]">http://

grantmichaels said:
Probably the thing I'm most curious about ...

I have 8 yrs experience assisting in operating suites for intraocular surgeries (endophthalmitis is often blinding, and blinding malpractice is amongst the most expensive payout) - and we were VERY careful in this regard ...

I hope I have a little bit of an advantage over the everyday folk in this regard, in terms of brewing, but we'll see - certainly ...

I "scrubbed in" to brew ;)
Well that doesn't sound like a stressful gig at all, does it.  Scrubbed in to brew  :rofl: But better to be sanitary than not.

It will come in handy, but, to be honest, I started off pedantically sanitising everything, and have become more relaxed over time. Pre-boil for example, there aren't any common brewing bugs I know of that will handling a rolling boil over 100c. After chilling, I pay close attention.

Where it will come in handy is when you start wanting to harvest and wash yeast, to save you a lot of pennies on the more exclusive (wyeast etc) yeasts for specific styles.  

The main issue is doing anything in the fermenter when it is actively fermenting. Plenty of folk on aussiehomebrewer have picked up infections just from opening their brews to peak at them during this stage. 

Bumper said:
Well that doesn't sound like a stressful gig at all, does it.  Scrubbed in to brew  :rofl: But better to be sanitary than not.

It will come in handy, but, to be honest, I started off pedantically sanitising everything, and have become more relaxed over time. Pre-boil for example, there aren't any common brewing bugs I know of that will handling a rolling boil over 100c. After chilling, I pay close attention.

Where it will come in handy is when you start wanting to harvest and wash yeast, to save you a lot of pennies on the more exclusive (wyeast etc) yeasts for specific styles.  

The main issue is doing anything in the fermenter when it is actively fermenting. Plenty of folk on aussiehomebrewer have picked up infections just from opening their brews to peak at them during this stage. 

I would never open "the system" to look in it or smell or or whatever ...

I had a happy sterilized spray fest just to change from the BO tube the sanitized airlock ;)

Biggest concern I had there was just whether or not there's anough CO2 production in the stout to expel the oxygen from the change-over ... it's very low activity in the fermenter, perhaps from having been pitched into sub-optimal-temp wort ..

I'm definitely planning to get into the lifecycle of yeast etc ... in fact, a fully competent stir plate is the 1st next thing I added ...

My interest in this regard extends beyond beer, to other fermented food and drink items, though, too, certainly ...

Later on this week, I plan to figure out if I can fit two levels of 4x gallon jugs in the Cool Brewer unit ... that would definitely be helpful ... I'd need only to construct something non-porous, shaped like a spindle, that can support 4x full jugs, and preferably where the top disc can be separated from the pole support ...

I don't think it's a good idea to plop a frozen two-liter between the 4x jugs, because it's certainly to setup a cold spot on each of the 4x jugs where there's direct contact ...

I think I might look into some velcro straps for the lid, to see if I can't strap-in the two-liter bottle to the top ...

All things to look into w/ time ... that, or I'll just order the chest freezer sooner than later and get on w/ it ...

grantmichaels said:

I would never open "the system" to look in it or smell or or whatever ...

I had a happy sterilized spray fest just to change from the BO tube the sanitized airlock ;)

Biggest concern I had there was just whether or not there's anough CO2 production in the stout to expel the oxygen from the change-over ... it's very low activity in the fermenter, perhaps from having been pitched into sub-optimal-temp wort ..

I'm definitely planning to get into the lifecycle of yeast etc ... in fact, a fully competent stir plate is the 1st next thing I added ...

My interest in this regard extends beyond beer, to other fermented food and drink items, though, too, certainly ...

Later on this week, I plan to figure out if I can fit two levels of 4x gallon jugs in the Cool Brewer unit ... that would definitely be helpful ... I'd need only to construct something non-porous, shaped like a spindle, that can support 4x full jugs, and preferably where the top disc can be separated from the pole support ...

I don't think it's a good idea to plop a frozen two-liter between the 4x jugs, because it's certainly to setup a cold spot on each of the 4x jugs where there's direct contact ...

I think I might look into some velcro straps for the lid, to see if I can't strap-in the two-liter bottle to the top ...

All things to look into w/ time ... that, or I'll just order the chest freezer sooner than later and get on w/ it ...

Sometimes you don't see a lot of action in terms of CO2. With such a small volume, primary fermentation will likely be over. Given you had activity earlier, my bet is it is done and just cleaning up after itself.  

The yeast propagation aspect is fun and saves you a packet (offsets the cost of a second hand fridge or freezer pretty quick when you see what those smack packs cost you per go!).

Go second hand, you don't need a shiny fridge or freezer, just a working one, with as big a capacity as you can find - I can fit two of those fermenters in my fridge - you will be using it in the long term, and fermenting 10 gallons of beer at a time will keep those friends who seem to want to drop by a lot more than they did before from draining your supplies.   FWIW, I would go for a fridge with the fridge on top and freezer on the bottom like mine, so you can drain straight off into bottles or kegs without having to disturb you settled out wort.  
Houston, we have lift off...

So lunch was awesome.  Beer braised and hickory smoked beef ribs with rosemary potatoes, fetta, baked beetroot, walnut and rocket salad with balsamic dressing.  Here's how the cooking went.  

Initial braise in a litre of homebrew, onions, cayenne, bay leaves, and cumin seeds.  

Reducing the liquid after straining, reduced down to 3/4 cup.  Intense flavour.  This got mixed with some homemade bourbon bbq sauce rather than the original recipe.  

Ange made a tasty beetroot and hommus dip for casual starters

Ribs post braise and chilling

Hickory smoked, before the finishing sauce was added

On goes the finishing sauce

The final dish 

And with my home-brewed AIPA - cider in the background also home-brewed!  

Ange cooked my favourite cake for dessert.  Chilli pineapple upside down cake.  need to digest before we hook into this one! 

Yum.

Nice looking SR's ...

And beer ...

Awesome.

Oh, and black Weber ...

I think quite a number of us have black kettles in particular ... interesting.
ripples in the spacetime continuum tonight ...

blitzed ...

Did a test batch for sugars today, this juice is insanely high in sugars, coming in at 1.060, usually sits at 1.046.  Need to let the apples soften for the next couple of weeks, until they start to wrinkle on the skin a bit and and they are good to go.  Going to need some malic acid and tannin adjustments though to get a balanced cider.  Given the high sugars, I reckon this is prime for keeving (stopping the ferment early and racking for a slower secondary ferment, then racking again and crash chilling to get a medium rather than dry cider). Good times.  Here's a couple of pics of my gear.  It was damn near freezing outside today with the wind coming off the snowy mountains near by.

3 litres of juice, Ange is reducing it with some cinnamon for a dessert sauce - destined for vanilla ice-cream asap. 

I would like to thank the small asshole of a dog who crapped moments before the photo.  Thanks a bunch buddy.  

I was curious, and wanted to inquire as to whether you've done any batches of "no chill" along the way, which I see is far more popular w/ the Aussie folks ...

I realize this is your flog, but it's where you've posted your brewing, so I hope you don't mind my asking in here =)

I understand well the risks and required steps to minimize them, and don't enjoy hop-forward beers and are going to be doing some saison that way in the coming months ...

I was just curious if you'd done any using that technique thus far, really ...

I picked up 4x 2.5 gal square HDPE containers, a weldless kit + ball valve, and a high-temp line for this little sub-project last night =) ...

grantmichaels said:
I was curious, and wanted to inquire as to whether you've done any batches of "no chill" along the way, which I see is far more popular w/ the Aussie folks ...

I realize this is your flog, but it's where you've posted your brewing, so I hope you don't mind my asking in here =)

I understand well the risks and required steps to minimize them, and don't enjoy hop-forward beers and are going to be doing some saison that way in the coming months ...

I was just curious if you'd done any using that technique thus far, really ...

I picked up 4x 2.5 gal square HDPE containers, a weldless kit + ball valve, and a high-temp line for this little sub-project last night =) ...
Ha not at all. I mean, beer is a food group, right? And damn near all my food gets posted in food threads… 

You've already picked up on the two issues that can arise with no - chill - IBU out of whack and increased risk of infection. I would add  cloudier beer to that list, but there are ways around it if you use finings 10 minutes before flameout and chill hard before bottling.  I am one for the classics, flameout, leave the hops in for 10 minutes, chill asap with the wort chiller.   Lot's of people do no chill successfully, usually as they don't have the gear for a quick chill or couldn't be f@*k'd (probably why it is so popular in Aus!).  If it is an interim solution you are after, then as long as you sterilise and keep the wort in the fridge until ferment, it will be fine.  

Sounds like you are amassing a good range of kit there Mr Michaels.  Speaking of collecting, I just bought 10 x 10gallon grow bags and about to push the button on 10 x 17 gallon grow bags.  The garden is so full I need to secrete them around the place… Chillies for everyone!!!! 

I bought a little immersion chiller and pond pump too, so no fear in that regard ...

But I am going to be doing some beers w/ room temp fermentation, and I thought I'd like to no-chill those, too ...

Most things in life, I prefer the "hard way" ... so when I find something where I can cut a corner, I feel compelled to take the shortcut ...

I don't like hop-forward styles ... I don't like IPA's, let alone doubles ... so I think I'll have less complications in that regard, using no-chill ...

I'm also planning to pitch them the following day each time, as I'm totally disinterested in storing wort ... which I know helps w/ the botulism risks, where apparently things get more iffy by the 4th day ...

I'm hoping this works nicely for the saison experiments, really ...

That's right, I recall the chiller pic. I have never heard of anyone getting botulism from a beer. It will be fine. Put a quilt over the fermenter, you need saison brewed warm... Like 29c warm

I
grantmichaels said:
I bought a little immersion chiller and pond pump too, so no fear in that regard ...

But I am going to be doing some beers w/ room temp fermentation, and I thought I'd like to no-chill those, too ...

Most things in life, I prefer the "hard way" ... so when I find something where I can cut a corner, I feel compelled to take the shortcut ...

I don't like hop-forward styles ... I don't like IPA's, let alone doubles ... so I think I'll have less complications in that regard, using no-chill ...

I'm also planning to pitch them the following day each time, as I'm totally disinterested in storing wort ... which I know helps w/ the botulism risks, where apparently things get more iffy by the 4th day ...

I'm hoping this works nicely for the saison experiments, really ...

Maybe a stein?

IMG_0317.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_6057.JPG

six_point_klankenstein01.jpg

grantmichaels said:
Maybe a stein?

IMG_0317.JPG

maxresdefault.jpg

IMG_6057.JPG

six_point_klankenstein01.jpg

Random stuff happens here, random… the stones reminds me of the stone and wood co. they do a stone brewed beer that they caramelise the wort on hot stones. Bit of a gimmick, not a bad beer though.  

Want to hear a sad story?

I went to the fridge to take out my final Saison Dupont - and when I did, I noted that it had been opened and 2/3 drank previously (that I didn't recall, apparently) ...

=(

Boooooo ...

LOL.

grantmichaels said:
Want to hear a sad story?

I went to the fridge to take out my final Saison Dupont - and when I did, I noted that it had been opened and 2/3 drank previously (that I didn't recall, apparently) ...

=(

Boooooo ...

LOL.

:rofl:

In unrelated sadness, dehydrating smoked chillies has been officially banned from inside for future activities. .  I'm working on her having a year to forget about it! 

I could have warned against it!

I'm wrapping up my last 20-30 minutes ... 86x hrs this week ...

BUT ...

I get to take both of the next two days to spray the plants and then brew, now, for having kept working through Friday night ...

I might have to smoke some meat, too, now ... to celebrate.

Monster week man, that's crazy.  I'm working on getting to a place where Ange and I can both do four days a week  (i.e. no mortgages), give it another year and we might just make it.  Then it is cooking and brewing like there's no tomorrow. 

grantmichaels said:
I could have warned against it!

I'm wrapping up my last 20-30 minutes ... 86x hrs this week ...

BUT ...

I get to take both of the next two days to spray the plants and then brew, now, for having kept working through Friday night ...

I might have to smoke some meat, too, now ... to celebrate.

Back