• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Bye Michigan ....Hello Austin Texas

Friends,

Last evening my son announced that he has finally accepted the offer from Dell and he would be ready to join 3rd week of May.
So it is decided and certain that I am going to cease being a Michiganian and will become Texan.
We may move there lock stock and barrel in August 2nd week.

Do I leave my old faithful Toyota Camry 1996 model in Detroit or take her there is a million dollar question.
I would hate to lose her and get married to Corolla.

Let me see what happens.

NJA

MrArboc said:
Why do you have to move because your son got a new job? (Ignore the question if it is too personal.)

We Indians live in a joint family. (Generally)
When parents are old, they are always cared for by their sons.
I have only one son and he naturally looks after me and my wife.
We in turn take care of the house completely including cooking etc. and look after our grand daughter.

I am now retired .

Hope this answers your question.

NJA

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
Friends,

Last evening my son announced that he has finally accepted the offer from Dell and he would be ready to join 3rd week of May.
So it is decided and certain that I am going to cease being a Michiganian and will become Texan.
We may move there lock stock and barrel in August 2nd week.

Do I leave my old faithful Toyota Camry 1996 model in Detroit or take her there is a million dollar question.
I would hate to lose her and get married to Corolla.

Let me see what happens.

NJA

come on NJA... suck it up.. you're moving to AJ's land of chilli heaven!!! screw the camry and get yourself some new wheels :)

all the best with the move :)

How can I forget my Camry?
Yes, the lure of chilli land is overpowering.
I am already planning next season's grow list.

NJA

You can't live in TX w/o a truck. Sell the Toyota Crapolla. Buy a pick up.

thehotpepper.com said:

Naga Jolokia Addict said:
THP,
Now you are frightening me.
Really you mean that?

THP is telling the truth! in texas by law you need at least 1 truck in the driveway & at least 1 firearm per person in the house!
so ya better plan accordingly.

This is a yawl, y'all....

118519-004-4E34F965.jpg

A pre-welcome to Austin NJA. Once you get settled in, let us know what part of town you're in, and we'll let you know what to do with the soil. Austin is a weird city in that we're on a fault line (Balcones) that divides VERY different soil types in the East and West.

If we can help with anything, please let us know.

And don't sweat the Texas talk TOO much. Austin is a little different than the rest of the state. Some love that. Some don't. You can decide for yourself once you get here. If your boy is working for Dell, you may be close by and up North.

G'luck and we're happy to have you.

Eeuphus Man,

Thanks buddy.

I will be near Round Rock. I might love Austin because I stayed in a similar climate city in India which is Bangalore for 10 years..
I hope to love it there except for initial period because I have come to love Detroit climate since last 5 years.

I am looking forward to longer growing season in 8 and 9 belt.

One last question.
Can I sow some peppers in June and hope to carry the plants thro' next season?

TIA

NJA

NJA, Absolutely. In fact, if we have a late freeze (not till January), which is not unusual, you may actually get short-season annums to fruit pretty late into the Fall/early Winter.

You *will* have to protect them during the Winter, though, by bringing them indoors, or in some milder climatized area (greenhouse, sunroom, etc.). The 'Winter' is short. Usually from late December till late February. We get freezes in March occasionally, but nothing a fully grown plant can't handle with relatively minimal protection.

I lost all mine last year, but mainly because I was simply lazy. :)

When you get here, if you have any questions about getting around and finding what you need, please PM me. I'm happy to help. If I have pepper questions, I'll do the same to you. You likely know much more than I do...

Good luck in the land of Beef. Remember, they are not Hindu sacred cows- they are American Bulls (this was told to me by an Indian acquaintance).

Hopefully the diversity P. Dreadie mentioned will give you more opportunity to find fresh spices.

thehotpepper.com said:

yeah your definatley gonna want to get a truck, oh and the vegetarian thing... you might wanna keep that to yourself around some of those Texas boys ;) just teasing ya.
but on a serious note. I hope your move goes well, best of luck, I think you'll enjoy it down there.

Celeste said:
Hopefully the diversity P. Dreadie mentioned will give you more opportunity to find fresh spices.

I hope so. I'll be the first to admit that there is no dedicated Indian spice source here, that I know of.

Certainly there are a few more general sources, though.

Good news is that there is no shortage of good produce, vegetables, and restaurants.

Back