Calcium nitrate versus Calcium phosphate...Liquid Bone Meal?

Used by itself to treat Ca deficiency, is one better than the other? If yes, why? Any other pluses or minuses towards either one with regards to plant health? Are they interchangeable?

you can get organic calphosphate though. if thats a concern.

its called calphos or cal-phos, or something like that.

its cheaper than calcium nitrate, but far less effective.

calcium nitrate wont actually wash out of most soils quickly. unless your soil has a very low cation exchange... like mostly sand.

organic material tends to attract nitrate and especially calcium. this attraction slows the ion down as its flushed with water. its like chromatography. the strong attraction keeps the molecule up higher in the column.

if you have a clay rich soil, the above is even more true.

I might be wrong but by the time you realize that you have a calcium deficiency you can only prevent future damage. Curled leaves, BER, etc. can't be undone - only new growth will be what's treated.

Geonerd said:
Ca-nitrate is 60,000x more soluble in water than the phosphate.

If you're looking for a quick hit, Calcium  nitrate, chloride, acetate, and others are the way to go.
If mixing into your soil, Ca phosphate will do the slow release thing, while the nitrate will get flushed out fairly quickly.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table#C
+1

I put the above questions to Scott Ostrander, president of Oregon's Only Organics, makers of Nectar For The Gods nutrient line. They sell a liquid calcium phosphate product called Demeter's Destiny. Here is Scott's response:

"Delivery system and reactivity. Calcium phosphate, in our form, is a rock derived from natural bone. The calcium in calcium phosphate is reactive and wants to bond to and tie up salts and acts as a carrying agent of the other trace nutrients into the plant, but enters in as a rock molecule.

Calcium nitrate is a salt, based off a nitrate and is delivered to the plant through nitrogen molecule. Because the calcium in calcium nitrate is bonded to a nitrate, the plant can only accept that form in at a lower ph and ultimately adds water weight which will evaporate off during the drying stage after harvest.

Calcium in calcium phosphate aids in sugar production, and oil production.

Calcium nitrate does not."

Drying stage? I think Scott is referring to another crop.

Roguejim said:
"Delivery system and reactivity. Calcium phosphate, in our form, is a rock derived from natural bone. The calcium in calcium phosphate is reactive and wants to bond to and tie up salts and acts as a carrying agent of the other trace nutrients into the plant, but enters in as a rock molecule.

Calcium nitrate is a salt, based off a nitrate and is delivered to the plant through nitrogen molecule. Because the calcium in calcium nitrate is bonded to a nitrate, the plant can only accept that form in at a lower ph and ultimately adds water weight which will evaporate off during the drying stage after harvest.

I'm no scientist, but I know enough to be pretty sure that none of that ^ is science. That's one of the most bizarre takes on chemistry and plant physiology I have ever encountered.

Nice to see someone else here mention NFTG. I'm running that line on 12 plants this season just to see how it compares.. So far the plants are twice the size as the others and I'm highly impressed.

smileyguy697 said:
Nice to see someone else here mention NFTG. I'm running that line on 12 plants this season just to see how it compares.. So far the plants are twice the size as the others and I'm highly impressed.
Not to hijack my own topic, but, what are your other plants getting for nutes?

Roguejim said:
Not to hijack my own topic, but, what are your other plants getting for nutes?
I have a friend that used this last season http://theurbanfarm.com/tomatomagic.html...I was using teas and rabbit poo last year with killer results but his pods blew mine out the water for size and blisters. So this time I'm going to compare this vs nfgt.. I know nftg is going to win but this stuff is cheap and highly concentrated.

Roguejim said:
I put the above questions to Scott Ostrander, president of Oregon's Only Organics, makers of Nectar For The Gods nutrient line. They sell a liquid calcium phosphate product called Demeter's Destiny. Here is Scott's response:

Calcium in calcium phosphate aids in sugar production, and oil production.

Calcium nitrate does not."

Drying stage? I think Scott is referring to another crop.

ahahahaha i just read this for the first time. thats hilarious .

this man is so wrong in so many ways, but what ever. who cares really.

ill just say that its people like that that contribute to my organic racism.
http://www.gardensupplyguys.com/GSG02147.html

60 bucks a gallon. god does it pay to be a pandering ass clown.

i bet he isnt even as stupid as his response seems to indicate. i bet he knows exactly what hes doing here.

Hybrid Mode 01 said:

I'm no scientist, but I know enough to be pretty sure that none of that ^ is science. That's one of the most bizarre takes on chemistry and plant physiology I have ever encountered.

Looks more like an ad.

Bone is rock?

queequeg152 said:

ill just say that its people like that that contribute to my organic racism.

Trust me, none of what that guy said has anything to do with organic gardening. 
     But I guess this is that huckster's goal - to confuse and charge.

Back