• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

shopping Calcium product question?

Hey all... I have noticed bumpy and slightly deformed leaves sprouting from my plants. From what I know this is a sign it calcium deficiency. If I am wrong please let me know. I had a rough few night with sudden rains and wind. My plants yellowed so I treated them with epsom salt and they greened right bak up after a couple days. I have this product and was wondering if anyone had any experience with it... Will this help?

http://www.organic-gardening-shop.com/agorganics/Product_Details.aspx?ProductID=389

I am open to suggestions

Some of my seedlings have bumpy leaves, personally i'm going to try egg shells sprinkled liberally on top of the soil. Another option is dolomite lime but i don't want to mess with my soil ph (haven't tested it and don't have a testing kit at the moment).
That product looks good but i'm a newbie :)

LancelBracken said:
Some of my seedlings have bumpy leaves, personally i'm going to try egg shells sprinkled liberally on top of the soil. Another option is dolomite lime but i don't want to mess with my soil ph (haven't tested it and don't have a testing kit at the moment).
That product looks good but i'm a newbie :)

I was thinking about the egg shells too, but didnt want to wait till eat a ton of eggs, I have 45 plants! I am a newbie to growing also so not sure if I am being overly cautious.... I am growing my plant in containers. Mine are not seedlings anymore. They looked smooth and healthy until about 2 weeks ago...

P6270121.jpg

P6270122.jpg

P6270123.jpg

P6270124.jpg

You can see they are a healthy green color, and the "older" bottom leaves are straight and not bumpy. Maybe I am being paranoid as this is my first real garden? Maybe they need something? Opinions are VERY appreciated! Thanks all!

I'm with u there Razorback? I've had that exact problem in the past (exactly the same)... and have seen it developing again recently. Would love to know what folks think it is... it didn't seem to adversely affect my chilli crop tho.

I asked around at a few nurseries (took some leaves with me) and one person thought it was fertiliser burn as i'd been sprinkling tomato food and potash on the soil and then watering in, instead of disolving in a bucket first.

Another nursery guru said it looked like not enough sun... At the time it was full summer and my chilli's had been gettin burned (too hot), as a result i'd watered them heaps, and moved all my chilli's under the shade of the patio (2-3 hrs arvo sun only).

In response to what they both said, i started dissolving the ferts in water first, and also moved em so they got a lil more sun... eventually it went away...slowly.

Recently, i repotted my chilli's in a new soil concoction containing potting mix, pine bark and small amounts of the following: chicken poo, potash, mag sulphate, blood n bone, and sulpher. The past 2 weeks, its rained and rained and rained....and rained! lots of water, and little sun... i've noticed a few leaves starting to crinkle again.

it could be too much water? too litlle sun? or fert burn? Calcium? Dunno.. V annoying tho.

RazorBack said:
You can see they are a healthy green color, and the "older" bottom leaves are straight and not bumpy.

Thats not a healthy green color, thats a yellow color and is a sign of the plant needing several things, Nitrogen, Magnesium and Calcium. Also note that, putting a plant outside in sun from a low light area will tend to make it lighter in color as the leaves will rearrange the chlorophyll, which is not a sign of a nutrient problem.

Heres a Light Green, not as green as you'd like but close.

YellowGreen.jpg

Heres an Ideal Green, just right.

IdealGreen.jpg

Here is Dark Green, time to get the plant more light and hold off the feeding.

DarkGreen.jpg

bigt said:
Egg shells take a while to break down. They are a nice long term amendment, but not great for fast results. Liquid Bone Meal might be a solution that's faster. http://www.cleanairgardening.com/liquidbonemeal.html
Check a few of those leaves for aphids too. They cause a bunch of leaf distortion.

Aphids and Thrips can do that, he should look inside his flowers for the thrips, they are very small, head of a pin small, elongated things.

What are everyone's thoughts on watering with milk? I have heard that is a faster way of introducing calcium, plus some micros.

Thanks!

Bing

Binganero said:
What are everyone's thoughts on watering with milk? I have heard that is a faster way of introducing calcium, plus some micros.

Thanks!

Bing

It's also the fastest way of introducing BSE into your ecosystem :rolleyes:

Binganero said:

Thanks!

Bing

Try a few tums instead

Binganero said:

Wouldn't it stink up the yard and attract animals?

Your better off getting some calcium carbonate in bulk form and just mixing it and using it as a foiler spray. I had the same problem and treated with calcium, Epsom salt, and a little lime and it went away fast. Mine however was to the point where the leaves looked like a corkscrew. You can get 5lbs of calcium carbonate for a few bucks instead of buying an off the shelf product that's mostly water and a few scoops of calcium. Here is a site that sells 50 lbs for $10.00. I also got some of that Diatomaceous Earth as well.

http://www.truefoodsmarket.com/index.php/cPath/100_102

You can also add wood ash to your soil, or if its actually a problem with mobility of calcium in the soil, you can foliar spray with an all purpose fertilizer with micronutrients or plain calcium carbonate. Also a foliar spray of epsom salts(magnesium)) can sometimes help calcium uptake

RichardK said:
Aphids and Thrips can do that, he should look inside his flowers for the thrips, they are very small, head of a pin small, elongated things.
I actually found some aphids today. The first I have found ever. They are only on plants near my tomatoes. Which I assume is the reason? And I did have to keep them inside for about 2 weeks because of the weather, they have been back in the sun for about a week. That might be the problem. Maybe I will get some ladybugs and wait it out before adding anything to the soil. And as far as the color of the plants...they look a quite bit lighter in the pics because the flash was on auto....

The first pic looks like aphid damage when they get on the small leaves - emerging growth.
The fourth pic looks like a bit of extra calcium in the ferts would straighten them out. I've seen worse. Much worse.

Back