• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Can anyone help me with a sauce ?

i have the following :

10 Scotch Bpnnets
1/2 large red onion
1 bottle of apple cidar vinegar ( how much do i use ? )... ended up using 1/4 cup ( guessing..lol )
1 bottle of sweet apple cidar ( small )
1 bunch of fresh Cilantro
Home made tomato sauce ( thinking of using this as a base )
1 Sweet red peppers
6 sundried tomato
1/4 cup of brown sugar

what else could i add and how much ?

wife is gone for the weekend, so i thought i would try a sauce..:lol:

can anyone make any suggestions ?

Well i dont know what the hell i made, but it wasnt bad...

a nice sweet sauce with a little kick, nothing major..

here are a couple of shots of my dinner :

sauce

February2009016.jpg

Pork Chops and Salad before and after :

February2009014.jpg

with sauce and a nice cold beer...mmmm.. pretty good !

February2009018.jpg

CARROTS!!! carrots in a habanero based sauce just works great the fruit flavor in the habs and in the carrot compliments each other nicely

with the vinegar keep testing your ph levels. When your ph level drops below 4.6 your good to go. (When a food product is acidified to a pH of 4.6 or less, according to FDA's "Good Manufacturing Practices," inhibition of growth of C. botulinum is assured. Hot sauce ingredients like chiles, other veggies and fruit are high in pH; i.e. they spoil easily without proper acidification.)

Also if you don't like the vinegar taste you can also try useing lime juice as well.

Sounds nice, like a barbecue type sauce. I personally don't like tomato as a base and I think the carrot has been abused but in the end it comes down to personal taste.

Dyce... I agree with you, lime works great in hot sauces

Hotpeppa said:
what else could i add and how much ?

wife is gone for the weekend, so i thought i would try a sauce..:lol:

can anyone make any suggestions ?

i think hot sauce i a lot like sex. whatever floats your boat. just experiment is the best way cause what someone else likes, you might not like.

Back