• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Can You Make a Plant Bushier

This is my baby, a Red Savina I started from seed on the 12th of January this year. It is over three feet tall. I've been pinching buds in excess of two weeks.

Is there anything I can do to stop or slow down the vertical growth and get it to become bushier?

Thanks gang.

IMG_5288acre.jpg

Plants grow like that when they are not getting enough light, also called leggy growth.

Two things to do...

#1: Get it more light, like hang a CFL a few inchs above it.
#2: Pinch off the top buds of the plant, growth will resume from between leaf nodes, also known as auxiliary buds.

If you want a plant to be bushy, then cut all new growth at every, or every other node. You will get 2 stems at every node. Your plant is tall, with no side branching. Personally, I would cut it half way up, cut off all of the main leaves(the big ones), and put the new cutting in a glass of water. Change the water every 2 days, until you get a healthy supply of roots.

what they said Patrick...pinch the new growth off...

Not you QS, you're a funny guy.

I cut off the two top branches, stuck them in some rooting powder and into a glass of water. The main stem I trimmed the large leaves off starting at the bottom and going up half way. About broke my heart to do this, this is my favorite plant. Hopefully I'll have three of them in time.

patrick said:
Not you QS, you're a funny guy.

I cut off the two top branches, stuck them in some rooting powder and into a glass of water. The main stem I trimmed the large leaves off starting at the bottom and going up half way. About broke my heart to do this, this is my favorite plant. Hopefully I'll have three of them in time.

When you see the results, you will forget that moment forever.

Though, I must admit, when pruning, cutting back or pinching my plants, I get this horrible feeling inside, like I'm killing kittens or something :(

god_kills.png

Anyway, I'm sure you will like the resulting plant :)

Good luck!

Thanks RichardK.

I've done it to a couple of other plants earlier and they have come roaring back. I was just hoping there was an alternative. If it all works out I'll have three of these amazing plants from this one big baby.

The most of my plants that im growing right now are Red Savinas, ive cut the central growth (the 2 latest nodes) on all of them. Im going to take some pictures later today, all of them are getting bushy and thick. I prefer it that way, especially cause im growing indoors from start to finish

I apologize for not being more specific. Remove the big main leaves from the cuttings that are in the water, or at least cut the Big leaves in half. If you have too much vegetation on the stem, the cutting will not be able to sustain it AND produce new root growth. But it needs enough vegetation to fuel the new root growth. Lastly, keep it out of direct sunlight, and change the water every 2 days. And don't use the powder root stimulator. I sometimes will use the liquid root stimulator, but I dilute the hell out of it. Good luck

Here you go Cap'n.

First one is what's left of the original plant. It was a painful experience let me tell ya.

IMG_5294are.jpg

Here's the main stem after removing several large leaves.

IMG_5296re.jpg

Here's where the two top branches were removed.

IMG_5297re.jpg

Finally here are the two branches that I cut, sitting in water with a tiny bit of ferts and worm castings. Man I hope this works.

IMG_5300cre.jpg

I removed most of the big leaves off of the cuttings already. Too late on not using the rooting stimulator. Is this going to cause a problem? They are sitting on my kitchen table right next to the patio doors that face east. They will get some light sitting there.

Everyone differs on their approach to cloning, but I have done a lot of cloning. I would remove all of the leaves at the bottom...the ones sitting in or close to the water. I would also cut the large leaves at the top in half.

I know your pain in cutting the original plant. Remember that pepper plants do not produce fruits on the main stem. Fruits are produced at the nodes, on the branches. Every time you cut(or pinch) a branch on the main plant, do so above the node. This will produce two branches, where previously, there was one. Later, you will get flowers at most of the nodes.
Thank you for the pic.

Thanks for the advice origamiRN. I feel pretty confidant that this is going to work out for the best.

If I get any pods off of any of these three babies I'll be more than happy to share some with you.:)

What about putting the plant on its side?

I accidentally did that with one of my plants, and ended up getting quite a lot of side shoots shooting out from the sides in a matter of a few days. I'd rotate the plant as well, since I ended up with a chilli plant with all the shoots growing out of one side only...:(

The other thing to do is to aim your lights at the lower part of the plant. I use mylar in my grow room and my plants bush out plenty.

Back