• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

consistency Can you use Celery to thicken your sauce?

Hi all,

I made a batch last week of hot sauce and wanted to make the consistency of the sauce more thicker and 'dip' like so I remade it and added in carrots which worked a charm.

I am just curious if celery would do the same thing as what the carrot does?

If not could anyone recommend me an alternative to carrots? Or is carrots my best bet with what I'm trying to achieve?

I could just go to the store and buy some celery to try but I'm in work at the moment so decided to get some opinions on it 😊

More peppers. Celery won't make it like a dip, it's mostly water so you will be adding a ton of celery flavor to get that consistency.

The trick is more peppers. When you look at your thick sauces the number one ingredient is usually peppers. Thin sauces, vinegar. Some may be tomato-based, etc. Vinegar may also be first, and it may be thick when using thickening agents (xanthan gum etc.).

Sriracha is peppers first, no agents.

If you are worried about adding heat, you can use more mild peppers (red jalapeno) and less hot (red reapers). Or you can use no heat peppers (red bell). People often forget about the bell. It is a capsicum.

What peppers have you used and what color and heat level are you trying to achieve? If like a dip, a dip for what? BBQ? Nuggets? Let us know.

That was supposed to be "natural thickening traits"...

But anyway, what ^^^said.

I've used carrots in the past with great success. It's no surprise that you find carrots in many sauces.

I would not bother with celery as it's mostly water so would not do that great a job of thickening. It would behave something like watermelon where you're adding more water than bulk.

But this has gotten me thinking - how about potato? I always cook my sauces so I wonder what would happen if I blended a potato with the peppers... hmm... gonna give it a go this weekend.

Most root veg will work. Also dense fruit like apple and pear if you want those flavors. Also if you have a juicer you can juice watery fruit/veg and just add the pulp to your sauce. Celery for example. But you must want that celery flavor. And you have to have one of those cafe/juice bar style juicers.

I think if I was going to use a potato I'd use the starch only. It should thicken like corn starch. In order to get the starch I'd grate raw potatoes into water, then I'd strain the shreds out and make hash browns! ;)

I've used carrots in the past with great success. It's no surprise that you find carrots in many sauces.

I would not bother with celery as it's mostly water so would not do that great a job of thickening. It would behave something like watermelon where you're adding more water than bulk.

But this has gotten me thinking - how about potato? I always cook my sauces so I wonder what would happen if I blended a potato with the peppers... hmm... gonna give it a go this weekend.

Kinda think that it has been thought of before and if taters was an option, others would have utilized it.

potato GIF

Kinda think that it has been thought of before and if taters was an option, others would have utilized it.
Iffin I recollect correctly, Blair’s Possible Side Effects hot sauce had potato in It. Not 100 positive but I think it did ( liked this sauce when it was around).

Good memory!
Ingredients: Red Savina Habañero chile, Cayenne chile, vinegar, orange juice, roasted green Jalapeño chile, ground pumpkin seeds, salt, potatoes and spices.

More peppers. Celery won't make it like a dip, it's mostly water so you will be adding a ton of celery flavor to get that consistency.

The trick is more peppers. When you look at your thick sauces the number one ingredient is usually peppers. Thin sauces, vinegar. Some may be tomato-based, etc. Vinegar may also be first, and it may be thick when using thickening agents (xanthan gum etc.).

If you are worried about adding heat, you can use more mild peppers (red jalapeno) and less hot (red reapers). Or you can use no heat peppers (red bell). People often forget about the bell. It is a capsicum.

What peppers have you used and what color and heat level are you trying to achieve? If like a dip, a dip for what? BBQ? Nuggets? Let us know.
Thanks for the replies everyone.
I was going for a lousinna style hot sauce but thicker.

I will keep the carrot in it and bring up the chillies.

Never noticed that when the first ingredients is chillies it's thicker vs thin sauces. Makes sense when I look at my sauce cupboard. Really appreciate the information.

Also I will be making another batch but with res bell peppers. Cannot believe that it didn't even cross my mind lol

Thanks guys.

I done another batch but added red bell pepper instead of carrot. It was perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. The consistency was there, taste was even better than before and the colour also looked very nice.

Thanks again for the input.

Back