wanted Canadian seed train P.R.O.J.E.C.T. ROUND 4 (looking for more members)

Well hello all!
Just a quick post...
I started my seeds this year on Feb. 16 and for the most part have had a GREAT germination rate (on 2 varieties did not germinate, Butch T and 1 row of Indonesian Basar). They are getting big too! My tomatoes are over 1' high and the peppers, though not tall, are getting big enough to need transplanting from the seed tray.
I started my seeds a different way this year. I boiled some distilled water and put it in a bunch of baby food jars (the jars/lids are cleaned and sterilized!). Then when the water was about room temperature, I put the seeds I wanted in each jar (about 6-12 of each variety in each jar), marked them with the name and left'em to germinate. This way I can see what germinated and what didn't, no guessing. I put the lot in a closet that has a hot water heater and the residual temperature was just right for germination!
The only thing I did wrong was I didn't sterilize the seeds...should'a rinsed them in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution or a 10% bleach/water solution.
Hope everyone else is doing as well as me on the seed starting.
Though this morning it was -20, feels like -28 up here in Moosonee! BBBBBBbrbbbrrrrrrrrr!!!!! Later this week it gets much warmer (like +8 with a low of -2...YEAH!!!!!!!!)

Talk again soon!
Mark

Not to worry, this is either a very hot time or a very slow time for users. The train will not be leaving the station until after this grow season is over and we have time to proof our new seeds. Don't worry, time will fly by... and once you get it, you will have so many seeds you wont know what to grow.

Thanks to all train members.  Because of you all, I have 16 varieties growing, distributed over ~300 plants!  The Jamaican Mushrooms (from Fireface) are first to develop pods.  I'm also starting to see some Aji Colorado's (thanks, Penny) well on their way.
For 2013-14 train members only: if any of you want a few JMoA phenotype Scotch Bonnet Yellow seeds, just message me and we'll coordinate for you to send me a SASE.  These seeds ARE directly from the JMoA, not from local grow efforts.  About a year ago, I arranged for a few hundred of these seeds.  To this Canadian train membership ONLY, I am willing part with a few of them.

Andrew

seedsfromJMoAredacted_zps94233295.jpg

marclocas said:
How is everybody? ;)

If things go well I may have enough seeds from my Brown Naglah, Red Habanero and Naga Jolokia by the end of the season (or a bit later) to feel comfortable enough to join in on the train. I may end up with some milder varieties as well - though they are more of generic, store-bought types (i.e. Cayenetta, Cayenne, Sweet Heat). I just put my Reaper & a few others outside in the past week, so maybe I'll luck out and some of those will put out some pods, as well. :)

marclocas said:
How is everybody? ;)

Great!! Season is going great and I have tons of green pods. One ripe Cumari do Para so far. Ate it fresh as soon as I saw it. They are awesome. Little bush pod-producing machines. Expect to see isolated seed on the train! I think most of my train seed is growing true. Reapers from a stateside THP memberseem right. Hope I have the guts to eat the first ripe one right off the bush! Also, I cannot wait for ripe Jalapenos. Have 6 going from two different nurseries.

I think next season I'd like to add more annuums and other species to the grow list after I figure out my fav supers and other Chinense.

I see a lot of poppers, puree, powder, and pickles in the not so distant future! (I have vowed this year to leave the sauces to the gurus because mine never turn out quite right).

Hope everyone else is doing well and the season is treating them decent.. even with all this rain. What's everyone planning to do with their harvests?

Super Hots Canada said:

If things go well I may have enough seeds from my Brown Naglah, Red Habanero and Naga Jolokia by the end of the season (or a bit later) to feel comfortable enough to join in on the train. I may end up with some milder varieties as well - though they are more of generic, store-bought types (i.e. Cayenetta, Cayenne, Sweet Heat). I just put my Reaper & a few others outside in the past week, so maybe I'll luck out and some of those will put out some pods, as well. :)

Dude! You can join with very little as long as you give back the # of seeds you take. You are in. You have to be.

Hey Marc and all,

All is well here.  I have about 250 plants going, covering about 15 varieties, thanks in part to the train.  Wishing it was hotter and dryer, though.
Andrew

I have 3. All others died. I have no clue what is going on around this area but we are all having a hard time this year. Stunted growth, very low production of fruit.... no real rhyme or reason as soil checks out fine. Maybe next year.

Back