• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Candied peppers

PeppersCandiedJar.jpg

Here's the jar with the candied peppers in progress. The syrup has been reboiled twice. It will be reboiled three times more, than the peppers with the syrup will be boiled up once. Then i will keep the syrup as a sweetener for tea and for candying bananas, tangerines, apple rings etc.. The peppers will be dehydrated. Then they will be ready.
The syrup already has some heat. I had some in a cup of tea. NICE!!!

Yesterday's boiling thickened the syrup a bit too much so I seem to be a bit ahead of schedule according to the recipe. Anyway I decided to cook up the syrup with the chilis today. Then I strained them and put them in the dehydrator. I'll post pics when they're ready. I used the syrup to candy some banana and some apple rings. I will post pics of those too in a few days. Then I washed out the pot with some hot milk. Then it was hot not only by temperature. Nice sweet and hot! Forget about hot cocoa or malted milk! This is great!

Wow man I think I'm going to have to try the week-long method now. Looks great. Are they soft or hard?

Txclosetgrower said:
Wow man I think I'm going to have to try the week-long method now. Looks great. Are they soft or hard?

Some are a bit soft, the rest is crunchy. The heat is reduced compared to the raw pods and a lot of that heat is in the syrup now. I now use the syrup for candying some apple rings and banana pieces.

I too am candying some peppers. I found some nice Hungarian wax peppers at the market and i have them submerged in my ginger syrup. Wait til you see what i do to these bad boys! Should be pretty sweet (pun intended)! I'm giving them as part of a secret santa gift. The recipient is a junk food connoisseur (read: chubby bus driver who likes food) so i hope he likes them.

That's a great idea! Armadillo, that plateful of yummy candied pepper goodness is making my mouth water, I'm definitely going to have to try this!

Maybe a light smoke before candying? MUAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA...

Hinky said:
That's a great idea! Armadillo, that plateful of yummy candied pepper goodness is making my mouth water, I'm definitely going to have to try this!

Maybe a light smoke before candying? MUAHAHAHAHAHHAAAAA...

If you try smoking them first please let us know how it turns out. I'm not 100% sure the frutiness of the habs would work too well with smoke in candy form, but that wouldn't stop me from at least trying it if I could:)

fineexampl said:
beware candied bhut jolokias.

that is all.

Candied habs are really hot enough! And the remaining syrup is too!
I candied some apple rings and banana pieces with the syrup and even they were hot. I don't want to try it with superhots!

Armadillo said:
I candied some apple rings and banana pieces with the syrup and even they were hot. I don't want to try it with superhots!

I'm pretty sure it's against some weapons proliferation treaty to use superhots for this. The resulting syrup would make napalm look like a kids toy.

Txclosetgrower said:
I'm pretty sure it's against some weapons proliferation treaty to use superhots for this. The resulting syrup would make napalm look like a kids toy.

You bettcha! Critical mass!:hell:

100_2251.jpg

Here is the same sort of thing except cook it longer leave out the peppers wait till it hits 315f stir in hab flakes and pour into molds and you have hottieranchers yum yum.

Armadillo said:
It was pretty good tasting to be honest. I didn't think it'd retain any heat with the method i used, but it held up well. You should give it a shot. :mouthonfire:

VtPepper said:
100_2251.jpg

Here is the same sort of thing except cook it longer leave out the peppers wait till it hits 315f stir in hab flakes and pour into molds and you have hottieranchers yum yum.

Great! Looks yummy!

This becomes a prolific thread!

here we go!

Ginger candied hungarian wax peppers seasoned in the candying process with fresh bhut jolokia and multi-chile powder, left to sit in confectioners sugar, dipped in dark chocolate with cinnamon and cacao beans, and dusted with cocoa-chile powder.

Now that's we do it Jersey! *uck yeah!

IMG_0540.jpg

IMG_0541.jpg

Back