• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

stettoman said:
^^ :drooling: ^^

In the immortal words of one Gandalf the Grey, "So it begins..."  

I'm glad to see success on your end, 'Dog, sorry for the aphids. Bastiges.

I'm vascillating on planting day. I'll likely put something to ground this month, but zone 3 is a learned skill with these exotics..spamant-out Day is practically June here, that requires a lot of indoor growth where my OWs reside...

Lots of jealous goin' on at my house.

Thanks man.  The aphids are a pain.  I usually prune and treat my OW's when I bring them in, but on seasons like this where I can't cut them back properly because they're hanging ripening pods the aphids are more likely than not to appear.  What's particularly bad this time is the ripening overlapped some seed starts and they've gotten to a few of the very young plants, which are tough to treat effectively until they're bigger.  I just started treating the now-pruned OW's (spray-off with water a couple days ago followed by a spay with Dr. Bronner's yesterday) and I'm moving things around into different areas to isolate, but it's a pain.

"Learned skill" is right.  And with new and different pepper varieties, unpredictable weather, etc. it's not easy to get it 100% right in a hurry. Hopefully domestic harmony prevails while you're working it all out.  But if not, just think how many peppers you'll be able to grow!  JK  ;)

stettoman said:
Hey, your 'Hawks done well yesterday. Carson Wentz is a porcelain queen, thank your stars that Foles moved on, McCowan made it easy for Seattle to chalk it up. 

Ha!  Seems like nothing's ever easy for the Seahawks, but I guess that keeps me from expecting too much.  How many games have they won this year that could easily have gone the other way, whether against good teams or bad ones?  They're far from great, but they play with heart and I'd rather have a team of overachievers than underachievers.  Philly's year has been just ridiculous with the injuries and then Wentz going down. Wow.  I was impressed with Josh stepping up and how he handled it, though. He gave it all he had, but there's only so much you can do in his situation.

You a Viking fan, Stetto?  I've been a Viking fan my whole life and was happy to see them get the W.

PaulG said:
:party:  Yes! Go 'Hawks!

I also didn't mind seeing New England
and Dallas go out   :D

I was a lot happier they faced Philly rather than if they'd had to play Dallas!  Dallas seems to always bring it against Seattle and it's been tough for the 'Hawks to get the W.  It'll sure change the complexion of the AFC playoffs with the Pat's out.  Amazing how competitive the games have been so far and I think we've got some great ones ahead.

Green Bay has to be cringing at the the thought of playing Seattle again.  They're rightfully the favored team, but with the history of Seattle "stealing" victories from them when the game seemed all but over they can't help but be thinking about it.

CaneDog said:

You a Viking fan, Stetto?  I've been a Viking fan my whole life and was happy to see them get the W.

Actually, I'm an Adam Thielen fan. True quality player and great guy, came to visit my brother after his stroke, that was kewl. And I went to school with one of his uncles. Kid's family is thick up here.

The team is poorly managed. It's sort of a tradition for them, going for bargain basement coaching staff and boutique players just don't make winners out of them. Zimmer's ok, but he has the voice of a 12 year old with a vicegrips on his nurtz....

I was sad your guys got rid of Sherman, he had spunk....

internationalfish said:
Wow, CD, you've got a great variety on the way. :)

Definitely interested to see how that Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno turns out.

Thank, 'Fish.  You and me both on the JZ x PJ.  The seeds didn't look in great shape, unfortunately, as sometimes late season seeds don't.  I've been thinking about maybe dropping a bunch ASAP and hoping for the best. All I need is a single F1 to get plenty of F2's, and the F2's are what really matter.

Really stoked to see this guy pop a hook today.

Eximium not Buforum Chiaro.  As the name suggest, it's not Capsicum Buforum, but it's a super cool Eximium that has white with greenish yellow splashed flowers and appears to have just a hint of purple.  Pics at https://www.pepperfriends.org/dbpf/eximium-notbuforum-chiaro_001.asp?param=1&

Big thanks to CTB (catchthebear) for hooking me up with seeds. I know he didn't have many so I really appreciate the share and I'm so psyched to see it germinate.

20200107 NotBuf.jpg

Yay CaneDog, off we go to a good 2020! :dance: I stocked up on popcorn to be able to enjoy all the gorgeous pics again, and you're off to a good start on that front will all them mushrooms! ;) I'm sure those aphids will not get the better of you, may they burn in hell...

Looks like you're gonna be in for plenty of good peppers this year, and wishing you a very fruitful season (pun intended)!

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
Yay CaneDog, off we go to a good 2020! :dance: I stocked up on popcorn to be able to enjoy all the gorgeous pics again, and you're off to a good start on that front will all them mushrooms! ;) I'm sure those aphids will not get the better of you, may they burn in hell...

Looks like you're gonna be in for plenty of good peppers this year, and wishing you a very fruitful season (pun intended)!

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Thanks LP!  I feel the same about the aphids - and fungus gnats too.  Hey, I just noticed you started your glog today.  I'm looking forward to checking it out in a few.  With your greenhouse all set up from last season you should be in great shape for an early start this season.

Alright, hooks ahoy! Now your season has
officially gotten off to a good start!

I am looking forward to seeing what kind
of bonkers grow you come up with this
season!

I haven't really started my main grow yet, but I have a handful of starts underway and plan to do another small round this weekend, with Grodan cubes scheduled for delivery today.  I'll need to decide which few varieties I'll drop.  Main plantings should start the following weekend.

Here's a little setup I'm using in a small spare room to isolate recent sprouts from some aphids, elsewhere.  The aphids just started getting treatment, but I'll need to keep them away from any new sprouts if I expect to eliminate them.  Odd, I've seen many winged aphids recently, which I don't remember seeing like this on previous indoor infestations, though it's been a while since I've had one.

Basically, I put a decent sized pan over a heat pad then a small hand towel in the pan with the heat pad probe between layers and the solo cups on the towel.  Over top is a small CFL.  The micro-environment  stays around the upper 70's.  I bottom water by removing the towel and pouring water into the pan for them to soak up. The towel gets replaced once they drink up most of the water and holds a little water at all times, which raises the humidity of their environment. 

20200110 IsoSprouts.jpg

The players...

Galapagoense - no problem with stretch here!
20200110 GLPS100.jpg

Eximium not Buforum
20200110 ExNB.jpg

A solid ecuador sweet rocoto, and a not-so-solid looking one next to it
20200110 ESRS.jpg

Rocoto Amarillo de Arequipa
20200110 ROC AdA.jpg

Another ESR looking scraggly, but happy
20200110 ESRNSS.jpg

A close-up from above, I'd thought this ESR pulled its head off sprouting, but under glass I see it retained its growth tip, so I'm now expecting it to survive.  In the past I've seen fungal rot develop on these, so I've treated with H2O2 to prevent it from transitioning from the cotyledons back to the separation point of the cotyledons at the growth tip, but I'm not sure that's going to be necessary here.  It doesn't quite have the same wet/mushy look to it that I've seen on other occasions.  I'll keep an eye on it though.
20200110 ESRNSSCU.jpg

Getting ready for my next preseason round.  My shipment of Grodan cubes didn't arrive today, so I'm glad I waited to put these to soak.  Tracking now shows them at the local facility, so I'm confident they'll be in for planting tomorrow.

On the roster are:

CAP 1242 Rocoto x CAP 1491 F1
Giant Yellow Rocoto x CAP 1491 F1
Rocoto Hyperpube-X (Yellow) x CGN Cardenasii F1
Eximium CAP 1491 x USDA Cardenasii F1
Rocoto Orange Arequipa
Rocoto Puno Amarillo
Rocoto San Pedro Amarillo
Rocoto Puno Pica Orange
Rocoto San Pedro Orange

20200110 Preseason R2.jpg

Also, I found this weird egg that apparently came in with the bark fines.  It's about 7cm in diameter and I can see an embryo IRL, but it doesn't show as clearly in the photo.  Any ideas what it is?  I figure I might move it in a sealed container with bark fines and see if it hatches.

20200108 WeirdAssEgg.jpg

Soaked seeds are moving forward in Grodan cubes.  I've always been more of a soil/media grower, but I'd like to get a good handle on rockwool cubes for use with the slower germination varieties in particular.  When I've used them in the past I never really got as far as having a method with them.  I'd like to accomplish that this season.

20200111 RockwoolCubes.jpg

Rocotos and crosses
RockWoolChart.gif

Back