• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

PtMD989 said:
They both pop at the same time. That would be good , eh. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You might even say "ducky," Mr. PT.

Just had the radicle pop on a Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1 I put into a scottex poly port 2 days ago.  I'd been concerned the seeds might not be in great shape (from a very late season pod), but apparently at least this one is raring to go.

PtMD989 said:
They both pop at the same time. That would be good , eh. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hey, wait. Both? What about the one in the middle?

CaneDog said:

You might even say "ducky," Mr. PT.

Just had the radicle pop on a Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1 I put into a scottex poly port 2 days ago.  I'd been concerned the seeds might not be in great shape (from a very late season pod), but apparently at least this one is raring to go.

Maybe that's a good omen for your grow this
season, CD! That cross should be a super
Jalapeño!

PaulG said:
Hey, wait. Both? What about the one in the middle?

Maybe that's a good omen for your grow this
season, CD! That cross should be a super
Jalapeño!

I hope so.  Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1 and Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec F1 are my Jalap crosses from last season to go forward.  It'll be interesting to see what they produce. 

I dropped another round today, these in Scottex poly ports. Instead of a H2O2 pre-soak, which I almost always do, I put these straight into the cups with a drip of distilled water and sprinkled them with myco.  The annuums and 2 frutescens I'm planning to keep inside rather transition outside later like the rest.

Wiri Wiri - Wiri Wiri
PC1 - CTB
7 Pot Yellow
Pumpkin Habanero - Dragonsfire
Galapagos Habanero - CTB
Chocolate "Gurdy" Habanero - Crafty
Reaper
Jalapeno Lemon Spice - LPDE
Jalapeno Orange Spice - LPDE
Murupi Large Red - Bhuter
Spezzano's Thai - Wiri Wiri
Piri Piri African Devil - Crafty
7 Pot Chaguanas
7 Pot Burgundy - PaulG
Aji Panca
Chacoense Purple Flower - Wiri Wiri

The germinator is getting a little  crowded.

Well, it appears it was just a slug egg that came in with the bark, as I found this guy this morning.

20200118 Slug1-1K.jpg

When the flash hit him, he immediately rabbited, turning, first...
20200118 Slug2-1K.jpg

Then diving.
20200118 Slug3-1K.jpg

I turned away for a moment and he was GONE - keep in mind this guy is tiny, like maybe 5mm.  I had to look at the picture to locate where he dove in order to dig him out, but he's now "chilling" atop one of my T5HO fixtures.

PaulG said:
Sure you can't squeeze a few more into your
custom Coleman germinator? I may have to if they don't speed up!

Can't wait to see lots of green poking up from
those cells!  thanks, me too, but they always like to test my patience.

PtMD989 said:
That is one cool germinator[emoji106],it beats my cardboard box. I think I’m gonna have to try to dig out an old cooler now[emoji16]
attachicon.gif
IMG_0027.jpg

Definitely do it!   Anything else would be, well, Loonie...

dragonsfire said:
Petri dish with agar works real well in starting seeds :)

I have plates and agar agar on hand for streaking yeast cultures for brewing.  I've tried the plates for Scottex-style germinations with coffee filters before, but they had a tendency to dry much faster than the poly port cups.  I haven't tried agar for them, though.  Do they get enough accessible moisture just sitting on an agar layer?  What is your agar mix?

Haha.  Lots of questions :)

Had a few rockwool cubes hook last night.  These are the first of the recent Grodan cube batch, hooking at 7 days:

Rocoto Orange Arequipa
Rocoto San Pedro Amarillo
Rocoto Gelbe Riesen x Eximium CAP 1491 F1

I also had a Rocoto Puna Amarillo hook in a solo cup of soil mix.  This guy was toward the slow end, though, at 14 days.

I'll be working on a method for the Grodan cubes to get strong "air pruned" root development in the cubes and proper nutrition to the plants during that time before transplant.  When I've worked with rock wool before, it's the proper extended maintenance of the cubes after sprouting while I'm trying to get the roots to "completely" fill out the cube that's proven the challenging part. I'm hoping using slightly bigger (2" x 2" x 1.5") and wrapped cubes will help.  I'm going to leave these guys in the germinator as long as possible, as I'll be creating a new, isolated environment for them and that project currently doesn't have priority. 

lol, yes plenty moisture (lid on), dont recall the mixture, haven't made any up for a while now.

CaneDog said:

I have plates and agar agar on hand for streaking yeast cultures for brewing.  I've tried the plates for Scottex-style germinations with coffee filters before, but they had a tendency to dry much faster than the poly port cups.  I haven't tried agar for them, though.  Do they get enough accessible moisture just sitting on an agar layer?  What is your agar mix?

Haha.  Lots of questions :)

Well, had some downtime while watching the 49ers manhandle the Packers and found this about air-pruning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ajQyY6OVb8 

I must admit this is new to me, but I'm interested to try it out with a Twilight that I still have in its rockwool cube and compare with the other two that have already been transplanted to a Kratky container.

Thanks for the tip CD!

Yeah, HM, that game got away quickly!  SF's a good team this year.

And that video you post is exactly what I'm going for.   I bought a cooling rack that fits in an old baking sheet I have and figured that might work well to go under the cubes.  By having bigger cubes and more of them, I'm thinking the mass will hold water/humidity a lot better than the few isolated and smaller (also unwrapped) cubes I was using before. Plus the wrappers should prevent any tendency of the roots to grow into neighboring cubes in the even I leave them in place for long.  I think the process should be really straightforward.  I've seen impressive root systems on some other THP growers' cubes and I'd like to achieve similar with mine.

Now I just need to figure out my feeding program!

Back