• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

CaneDog said:

Thanks Devv.  I'm in awe of what you've done with your garden. 

You've got me about ready to move somewhere around here with plantable land.
Hi CD, and thanks!

That used to be sand ;) But the amount of land we have is cool, we lucked out 31+ years ago when the wife said you need to go and look at this place...

Podz: I totally love your eye for photography. It just rules. You do justice to all us growers with the flick of the switch.
 Well said buddy!

It looks like the Murupi will be the first of the Chinense (hopefully) to set pods.  These guys just seem to have been trucking right along since the beginning and are at 11.5 weeks right now.  I'll try not to count my pre-chickens, but things are looking good to me.

Murupi #1
2020-04-12 MurupiPollen2.jpg

Murupi #2
2020-04-12 MurupiPollen.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto x Rocopica F1 also looking good to set.
2020-04-12 GYxRocopica2.jpg

Most of my Flexuosum have had an off-flower, but nothing's come of them.
2020-04-12 Flexuosum8.jpg

And the CAP 1491 x USDA Cardenasii that I put on the lat program is now outside on the deck and showing some better bushiness than before.
2020-04-12 CAP1491xUSDACard.jpg

Beautiful sunny weather locally today and projected same for days.  It's a little extra effort with the plants that are hardening off, but it's a trade I'll gladly make.

Happy Easter all.

No hardening off happening here.

The next 2 nights are forecast to be in the
34-35˚F range. Means putting the rocotos
inside at night for the next two nights.  We
have some more nice days coming, highs
in the mid-60s to low 70s, and nights mid-40s.
Will be able to leave the rocotos out, I think.

Beautiful flower on the rocopica cross!

Thanks Paul.  I'll be schlepping plants tonight as well with 38F forecast.  Only the OW's rocotos stay out for that.  Then we're on to > 40F nights with sunny days (not quite as warm as yours, though) and even my youngest rocotos can stand that.  During the sunnier afternoons lately I've had to moderate the sunlight for many of the pube's and bacc's, but hopefully that will be over after another week.

It won't be too much longer now. 

Nice pics CD, 

And it's great we've been having better weather recently - I'll also be trying to take some of my 5g plants outside to see how they perform and hopefully be able to expand my grows in the future. 

One question on Murupi #2 - is that edema on the leaf to the left of the flower? The Numex Twilight I have in a 1g container seems to be super susceptible to it and I'm wondering if that might play a role in the issues I'm having with that particular plant. Never thought much of edema, other than being a nuisance...

Hoping to see those Chiltepins soon!

thanks guys.  it does feel like things are starting to happen.

HeatMiser said:
Nice pics CD, 

And it's great we've been having better weather recently - I'll also be trying to take some of my 5g plants outside to see how they perform and hopefully be able to expand my grows in the future. 

One question on Murupi #2 - is that edema on the leaf to the left of the flower? The Numex Twilight I have in a 1g container seems to be super susceptible to it and I'm wondering if that might play a role in the issues I'm having with that particular plant. Never thought much of edema, other than being a nuisance...

Hoping to see those Chiltepins soon!

Yep, it's edema/intumescences.  I didn't notice they had it until I saw the picture.  It's usually a non-issue and will go away when the plants head outside.  I've never seen any correlation between it and leaf drop, even at its worst.  I looked at your thread on the leaf drop and was scratching my head until Tybo came in with his idea, which I thought sounded very likely.

I transplanted the first chiltepin into a fairly big container early and it just sat around seemingly doing nothing.  I also moved it from the T5HO tent to the HLG100 tent, so it's had some adjusting to do.  My hope is that it's been developing its roots and is getting ready to take off.  I've seen that with several of my rockwool-to-soil transplants.  Some root quickly and move right along, others take their DS time before finally  taking off.  In the meantime, the other 2 seeds from 2014 sprouted and 1 of the ones from your prior grow has too.  Maybe that will light a fire under the first one 'cause now it knows I got options!

CaneDog said:
thanks guys.  it does feel like things are starting to happen.

Yep, it's edema/intumescences.  I didn't notice they had it until I saw the picture.  It's usually a non-issue and will go away when the plants head outside.  I've never seen any correlation between it and leaf drop, even at its worst.  I looked at your thread on the leaf drop and was scratching my head until Tybo came in with his idea, which I thought sounded very likely.

I transplanted the first chiltepin into a fairly big container early and it just sat around seemingly doing nothing.  I also moved it from the T5HO tent to the HLG100 tent, so it's had some adjusting to do.  My hope is that it's been developing its roots and is getting ready to take off.  I've seen that with several of my rockwool-to-soil transplants.  Some root quickly and move right along, others take their DS time before finally  taking off.  In the meantime, the other 2 seeds from 2014 sprouted and 1 of the ones from your prior grow has too.  Maybe that will light a fire under the first one 'cause now it knows I got options!

Thanks CD,

Yes, I've always thought of it as a non-issue. The Twilight was dropping leaves, but it wasn't as bad as the chiltepin - must have been overwatering on both plants, which I have already addressed. Now it's just a waiting game.

Good to hear yours are doing well! Actually I didn't grow the 2019 seeds, I collected them the same way as I did the 2014 ones and this is my first time growing tepins. Seems like the germination rate was better on the 2014 batch. 

Some random shots.

The first to sprout of HeatMiser's  2014 Texas Tepin started slowly, but seems to be picking up steam.
2020-04-13 HMOGTeping.jpg

Mutant Twilight is still looking cool.
2020-04-13 Mutant.jpg

Really cool!
2020-04-13 MutantCU.jpg

I'm seeing some differences in the variegated jalap.  In this picture 1 (of 7 total) seems to have normal green true leaf.  The others all show white on the first true leaf, but have a mix of purple stems and green ones.  2 others (not in this picture) have variegated cotyledons, one with a purple stem and one with green. 
2020-04-13 VarJalaps.jpg

Variegated cotyledon Mutant with purple stem.
2020-04-13 Mut-VCoty.jpg

The Fragilis sprout had a little buddy pop up.  They're sharing a piece of rockwool so it won't be as easy to separate them.
2020-04-13 FragilisBuddy.jpg

Here's a collection of spice rack peppers, Haskorea in front, Urfa Biber back left, and Aleppo back right.  Plenty more of each of these.  I'll probably grow 3 of each.
2020-04-13 SpiceRack.jpg

This BJh-2 was taking up too much room in the tent, so it and the BJh-M next to it got up-potted and bounced outside today.  I figure I'll be bringing them in nightly for a good while still, but that won't be any big hassle once all the rocotos can stay out 24/7.  The back deck's starting to get pretty crowded :)
2020-04-13 BJh-2.jpg

CaneDog said:
It looks like the Murupi will be the first of the Chinense (hopefully) to set pods.  These guys just seem to have been trucking right along since the beginning and are at 11.5 weeks right now.  I'll try not to count my pre-chickens, but things are looking good to me.

Murupi #1

Murupi #2

Happy Easter all.

Im very jealous of all that pollen! The murupi red seems to be a great pepper in terms of growth speed so far, im impressed! 

Mildfruit said:
Im very jealous of all that pollen! The murupi red seems to be a great pepper in terms of growth speed so far, im impressed! 

The Murupi may be an outlier for the chinense as it's been highly vigorous from the start (Big Mike's Thai Hot Spezzano seems its equivalent from the Annuum).  Several other Chinense are nearing flowering in the HLG100 tent, including the Galapagos Habanero and Peach Bhut SS.  I'll be curious to see how they do for pollen production and fruit set. 

The Aji Giallo you sent me have been growing very strong.  I just potted them up from their original containers and moved them outside.  With overnight lows forecast at 47F/8C and nearly as warm the next few days I'm debating leaving them out overnight.

dragonsfire said:
That is  cool looking leaves lol

I'm a big fan of these - thanks to PaulG for setting me up with his hybrids off the original Trippa cross.  Apparently there's a dominant gene denoted "Fr" (frilly; leaf margins are marked by undulation) common in the Bhut's  and the resulting leaves on the purple thunder are just super cool with the additional variations in dark coloration.  Made me chuckle when I first read about it - the "frilly" gene.  :)

EDIT:  I was assuming you meant PaulG's cross, but it occurred to me the Mutant also fits that bill  ;)

I did a bunch of pot-ups yesterday.  Figured I'd post a few pics.  Many "thank youse guys & gals for the seeds" in this bunch.

First group:  CW from back left:  BJh-M; BOC; BJh-M; 7Pot Burgundy (Pecan);
                    Pumpkin Habanero; Pimente de Neyde; Chocolate Habanero (Gurdy).
20200414 Transplants1.jpg

Second group:  CW from back left:  BJh-2; Purple Flower Baccatum; Wiri Wiri; Wiri Wiri.
20200414 Transplants2.jpg

Roots on these guys seemed to be just about right for movin' on (BJh-M #2, above).
20200413 BJh Roots3.jpg

20200413 BJh-M Roots.jpg

Peach Bhut SS should be potted up, but I want to keep it under the LED to see how well it produces pollen and sets.  So far the HLG100 tent setup has set fruit on annuums just fine, but the coming days will give me feedback as to how the chinense do.
20200414 PBSS.jpg

Again, a big thanks to all who shared!

CaneDog said:
I did a bunch of pot-ups yesterday.  Figured I'd post a few pics.  Many "thank youse guys & gals for the seeds" in this bunch.

First group:  CW from back left:  BJh-M; BOC; BJh-M; 7Pot Burgundy (Pecan);
                    Pumpkin Habanero; Pimente de Neyde; Chocolate Habanero (Gurdy).
attachicon.gif
20200414 Transplants1.jpg

Second group:  CW from back left:  BJh-2; Purple Flower Baccatum; Wiri Wiri; Wiri Wiri.
attachicon.gif
20200414 Transplants2.jpg

Roots on these guys seemed to be just about right for movin' on (BJh-M #2, above).
attachicon.gif
20200413 BJh Roots3.jpg

attachicon.gif
20200413 BJh-M Roots.jpg

Peach Bhut SS should be potted up, but I want to keep it under the LED to see how well it produces pollen and sets.  So far the HLG100 tent setup has set fruit on annuums just fine, but the coming days will give me feedback as to how the chinense do.
attachicon.gif
20200414 PBSS.jpg

Again, a big thanks to all who shared!

beautiful plants bro and the Rhizomes are nuts on those roots

CaneDog said:

The Murupi may be an outlier for the chinense as it's been highly vigorous from the start (Big Mike's Thai Hot Spezzano seems its equivalent from the Annuum).  Several other Chinense are nearing flowering in the HLG100 tent, including the Galapagos Habanero and Peach Bhut SS.  I'll be curious to see how they do for pollen production and fruit set. 

The Aji Giallo you sent me have been growing very strong.  I just potted them up from their original containers and moved them outside.  With overnight lows forecast at 47F/8C and nearly as warm the next few days I'm debating leaving them out overnight.

Well I'll be sure to keep a very close eye to the murupi, looking forward to hear how it tastes. Have you tasted the regular white/yellowish version? I only had a few pods last year due to extremely low production, but the taste was really something. If this pepper also taste good, it will have it all, looks - taste and fast grow :D 

I unfortunately have no experience with outdoor grow as you know, but sounds like you have a backup in case it should be too cold :P . Im really glad they are doing well, now when pods are setting you'll endure the same feels-like-an-eternity feeling of waiting for them to ripen up :D But well worth the wait imo. 

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
beautiful plants bro and the Rhizomes are nuts on those roots

Thanks GPR.  I like seeing the roots fuzzy and white like that.  I'm enjoying watching your AeroGarden "popcorn machine" in your glog.  Seems like it's about that time it should really start popping!

Mildfruit said:
Well I'll be sure to keep a very close eye to the murupi, looking forward to hear how it tastes. Have you tasted the regular white/yellowish version? I only had a few pods last year due to extremely low production, but the taste was really something. If this pepper also taste good, it will have it all, looks - taste and fast grow :D

I unfortunately have no experience with outdoor grow as you know, but sounds like you have a backup in case it should be too cold :P . Im really glad they are doing well, now when pods are setting you'll endure the same feels-like-an-eternity feeling of waiting for them to ripen up :D But well worth the wait imo. 

I haven't tried the yellow. It was already on my short-list for next season before your comments; it's about a certainty now.   I suppose I'm going into this backwards, growing the red first, but it intrigued me and I conveniently happened into a few seeds from a very reputable source. By description, I thought the yellow in particular might make an excellent powder.

So...  I chickened out and brought the Aji Giallo inside overnight.  Despite that Baccatum seem to handle lower temperatures well for me, I just didn't want to risk it or slow them down.  Ugh, I know that feels-like-an-eternity feeling of ripening baccatum all to well.  :rolleyes:   But it sounds like the wait will be worth it!  :)

Back