• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Feels like it's been a while since I've posted any pics, so thought it was about time for an update image dump. Took some quick shots of some of the plants out back.

Here's a few of the rocotos.  None are producing or flowering yet.  Some started to, but stopped and dropped when I potted them up.  Most are in need of bigger containers, so I'm hoping to get to transplanting by this weekend.

Amarilla de Arequipa
20200519 AmDeAreq.jpg

OW De Seda
20200519 DeSeda.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto
20200519 ESR.jpg

Hyperpube-X
20200519 Hyper-X.jpg

A couple Montufar conveniently side by side
20200519 Montufar2.jpg

Orange Arequipa
20200519 OArequipa.jpg

Puna Amarillo
20200519 PAmarillo.jpg

Puna Pica Orange
20200519 PPOrange.jpg

San Pedro Amarillo
20200519 SPAmarillo.jpg

dragonsfire said:
Looking Awesome!

Thanks, DF.  I have a couple of your Pumpkin Hab's from the seeds you sent me that have just started to flower.  I'm psyched, though they're still pretty small and will need some time in warm weather before they get serious about producing.

HeatMiser said:
Great looking plants CD! Really jealous... :)

I can see you have some experiments going on with those Jalapenos

Thanks man, those rocotos don't mind the weather for ducks we've been having recently and have actually perked up a bit since those really hot days we had not long ago.  

I've definitely been messing around the jalap's a bit.  I have a couple Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec F1, too, which produce a bigger pod, but fewer.  It'll be interesting to see what the F2's produce from these.  I'm also pretty excited about picking up seeds from macmex for his chile rayado, which I believe to be a jalapeno, or at least very similar, and already have a few sprouts up.  I can assure you that no jalapeno pods will go to waste around here.  :)

Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec F1
20200519 TDxJZ.jpg

CaneDog said:

Thanks, DF.  I have a couple of your Pumpkin Hab's from the seeds you sent me that have just started to flower.  I'm psyched, though they're still pretty small and will need some time in warm weather before they get serious about producing.

Thanks man, those rocotos don't mind the weather for ducks we've been having recently and have actually perked up a bit since those really hot days we had not long ago.  

I've definitely been messing around the jalap's a bit.  I have a couple Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec F1, too, which produce a bigger pod, but fewer.  It'll be interesting to see what the F2's produce from these.  I'm also pretty excited about picking up seeds from macmex for his chile rayado, which I believe to be a jalapeno, or at least very similar, and already have a few sprouts up.  I can assure you that no jalapeno pods will go to waste around here.  :)

Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec F1
attachicon.gif
20200519 TDxJZ.jpg

ive got three plants of the Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec that made it to the dirt.  im hoping they do well.  ill get pics when they're big enough to show some progress.

all of your plants look incredible. maybe if I'm lucky mine will catch up.

wow you are R.O.L.L.I.N.G. mister McDoc, holy cow! Plants are looking lush and healthy, and that De Seda is simply a monster. I'm scare what kind of tree it's going to become and might even provide you firewood for the winter to come with that size! And lots of pods on the Orange and Lemon spice plants already, you'll be in for a treat soon and curious to hear your opinion. Also regarding the spice level of the Lemon spice as I'm hearing mixed opinions.

That chile rayado also sounds extremely tempting, from what I could find it's only grown in one region in Mexico and supposed to have a higher-than-average heat level? Smoked and dried it must make an excellent chipotle and get's my stomach juices going hahaha.

Nice looking pods on the Tekne Dolmasi x Zapotec cross - still looking a lot like jalapeños but those F2 should throw out some massively different phenos. Are you looking for an equal mix of the two or rather a bit more bias towards one or the other? My zapotec is flowering nicely and hope to have some pods setting soon, especially now that the weather is heating up finally, also at night.

Keep up the amazing work and photography, always a pleasure! :)

BDASPNY said:

ive got three plants of the Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec that made it to the dirt.  im hoping they do well.  ill get pics when they're big enough to show some progress.

all of your plants look incredible. maybe if I'm lucky mine will catch up.

I'm glad to hear you have a few of them planted.  I started mine indoors and kept them small mainly just trying to get ripe pods quickly for F2.  They haven't produced many pods, but I haven't given them much of a foundation for big production.  The way your jungle grows, yours should blow past mine in no time and it will be great to see their full potential.  Hopefully more even bigger pods. :)

dragonsfire said:
Well I hope the PHab's do you well :) Still praying for mine lol

:thumbsup:

lespaulde said:
wow you are R.O.L.L.I.N.G. mister McDoc, holy cow! Plants are looking lush and healthy, and that De Seda is simply a monster.  Thanks man, it's felt like just passing time these last few weeks - plus I've been insanely busy - so I'm happy to get through things again and look at the progress.   I'm wondering how big the De Seda could get in that 5 gallon bucket.  It surprised me a bit recently with how developed it was.  I think I'll move it to a prime space today and try to find out.   I'm scare what kind of tree it's going to become and might even provide you firewood for the winter to come with that size!  And lots of pods on the Orange and Lemon spice plants already, you'll be in for a treat soon and curious to hear your opinion. Also regarding the spice level of the Lemon spice as I'm hearing mixed opinions.  I'm curious about them too - and thanks again for the seed hook-up.  The lemon in particular grows a beautiful plant.  I'd like to find a few jalap's that I can grow each season and count on for great results. 

That chile rayado also sounds extremely tempting, from what I could find it's only grown in one region in Mexico and supposed to have a higher-than-average heat level? Smoked and dried it must make an excellent chipotle and get's my stomach juices going hahaha.  Exactly what I've heard.  Higher heat with a good sweet rich red taste would be awesome. Wish I'd started them in March, but macmex says it grows fast and so far it has.  Hoping they're as good as suggested and I should have plenty of seeds from harvest if they are.

Nice looking pods on the Tekne Dolmasi x Zapotec cross - still looking a lot like jalapeños but those F2 should throw out some massively different phenos. Are you looking for an equal mix of the two or rather a bit more bias towards one or the other? My zapotec is flowering nicely and hope to have some pods setting soon, especially now that the weather is heating up finally, also at night.   I hope you like the JZ's.  They weren't the biggest jalap for me, but good production, great flavor and good heat too - I usually ripen jalap's to red and haven't tried the JZ green.  TD x JZ would ideally hold good heat and decent productivity of the JZ while taking some size from the TD.  Both have great flavor IMO.  I'd like to get a good big pod suitable for poppers, but it's always rolling the dice with the crosses.  I plan to grow a bunch of the F2 next season and will hope for a good one to stabilize.

Keep up the amazing work and photography, always a pleasure! :)  Thanks man!  Here's to a great season  :cheers:  

PaulG said:
Woah, buddy, your pubescens make mine
look like dwarfs. 

Ugly ones, at that!

Really fantastic grow, CD!

Can't agree with all of that, but thanks, man!   I was able to get them out early this year and they seem to have enjoyed our weather.  Hope they take off for both of us real soon and we can catch that first wave of pod set before the heat of summer hits!

Devv said:
Well done CD!

You could take them to a pepper show and clean house ;)

I wish I could get more than 3 or 4 pods from the Pubes down here, I feel it's been more me than them, with a large garden and all...

Thanks Devv.  That hot TX weather has to be a killer on the pubes. Seems about everywhere has it's own weather challenges and for those lucky enough to have a near perfect climate, well they probably have tons of bugs.  :rolleyes:   Been enjoying how far along your plants are so early and looking forward to seeing lots of harvest.  My chinense in particular won't be doing much for a good while still, but I have some fun ones I'm looking forward too, Paul's BJh-2 and -M high among them.  Really cool seeing how your pods have turned out on his varieties.

CaneDog said:

Can't agree with all of that, but thanks, man!   I was able to get them out early this year and they seem to have enjoyed our weather.  Hope they take off for both of us real soon and we can catch that first wave of pod set before the heat of summer hits!
My Rocotos all dropped their flowers when I planted 
them out, as well, CD. They took a while to start putting
out new growth while the roots were growing into their
containers a bit, so are just starting to look up a little.

I think that I will start planting out some of the ​chinenses
on Friday. May19th was our 10% frost date.

Back