• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

CaneDog said:
Here's a quick update on the bigger plants in the HLG100 tent.

First off, I'm still working to understand the HLG. It's my first main fixture LED light and I've had it for almost 6 months now.  I get great results for some things, but I'm still trying to figure out how to use it best for others.

This is an original cappy's red brain strain. It's well below the LED and growing the broad leaves one would expect from that, but it's internodal spacing is very tight, especially for the distance from the light source.  I'd think to elevate the plant toward the light given the appearance of the leaves (other plants dictate the fixture position), but I've seen some burn in certain other plants when I've tried that.  Plus the internodal spacing is already tighter than I'd consider optimal.

I follow your endeavors with the HLG light very closely! I have also experienced very different results with my HLG. Especially the chinense plants seems to have very tight internodal spacing just as you describe. Also some plants cant get enough of the light, others seem more sensitive. I usually never move the light during a grow out, and my seedlings do just fine with 110cm distance at the start. 

Heres a picture of my KGS LB under my 260w HLG and the next is when I moved it to a window:
IMG-5736.jpg

IMG-5863.jpg

I don't know if its apparent, but the leafs is all curled up in the first picture, and that isn't the case any more in the window.

My chocolate ghost had no such issues, but what seems to be the case for all my chinenses (except my biquinho) is that none of them produce pollen under the lights. Perhaps the rspec fixtures have wavelengths better suited for that? Hmm. 

Loved to see all the photos, its a true joy to visit this glog

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Nice CD, flexo is a flexing some big guns. That Aji Am is tall, are they typically a more taller than wide plant?

Thanks GPR.  This is my first time growing Aji Amarillo, but a common bacacatum growth pattern I see is to race for height initially and only later start the branching that turns them into massive bushes.  This is from PaulG's seeds.  Maybe he will chime in on what he's seen in his. 

wiriwiri said:
The Tovs  are enjoying  their new home &  as evident  by the new growth.

Thanks wiri!  Those clown buckets may not look great, but they do the job! 

I hope your 2 Tovarii are coming along well. My experience with them has been a slow start with germination and early growth, but once they hit stride they are just about unstoppable.   

Mildfruit said:
I usually never move the light during a grow out, and my seedlings do just fine with 110cm distance at the start. This seems to be a good safe plan.  Start them out at some distance while they're young and let them grow progressively into more intense conditions.

I don't know if its apparent, but the leafs is all curled up in the first picture, and that isn't the case any more in the window.  I get various funky results like the leaf crinkle and burning too, but I'm not sure whether it's really hurting the plant or how much. I suppose the middle of the plant is get good strong light.  I've seen indication that if a plant is at all deprived of water itt's reflected immediately - and permanently - in the leaves.

My chocolate ghost had no such issues, but what seems to be the case for all my chinenses (except my biquinho) is that none of them produce pollen under the lights.

Perhaps the rspec fixtures have wavelengths better suited for that? Hmm. 

So far this is what I'm seeing, but I haven't had a chinense go into a second wave of flowering under the HLG yet.  The murupi growing in the HLG tent never set under it and the other murupi that was starting to set under the T5HO's stopped setting immediately after being moved into the HLG tent.  I've never had any problem with fruit set under a multitude of light colors,  including all sorts of chinense varieties, but this is the first 4,000K I've used.  LED Gardener reported solid production under this exact light and the 3,000K version too.  Guess we'll just have to keep figuring it out.  It helps a lot that you and podz are sharing your thoughts and results.

CaneDog said:

Thanks GPR.  This is my first time growing Aji Amarillo, but a common bacacatum growth pattern I see is to race for height initially and only later start the branching that turns them into massive bushes.  This is from PaulG's seeds.  Maybe he will chime in on what he's seen in his. 

Thanks wiri!  Those clown buckets may not look great, but they do the job! 

I hope your 2 Tovarii are coming along well. My experience with them has been a slow start with germination and early growth, but once they hit stride they are just about unstoppable.   
The Aji Amarillo get about 5-7 feet tall, the pods are great, but production is kind of slow.

Here's a few plants growing from seeds that Bhuter shared with me. They were all late starts and will likely stay indoors as a result, but they'll definitely be worth the allocation of space. 

First is his Grocery Store Mystery, a chocolate super hot.  The seeds were from 2015 and had me waiting a while, but after 28 days I finally see what looks to be a healthy hook.
20200523 GSM.jpg

Here is an F5 7P Cinder.  It didn't sprout that long ago and is growing happily and quickly under the T5HO's.
20200523 Cinder.jpg

And last is a Purple Flower Baccatum.  I'm growing these from 2 sources this season and I'm really happy I added the genetics from Bhuter on this.  This plant absolutely STINKS like perfume.  It's at least as fragrant as any Rocoto or Purple Corolla Clade pepper I've grown and probably a fair amount more so.  Suggests some interesting possibilities about its genetics and will be a strong candidate for future monkey business.
20200523 StinkyPFB.jpg

Devv said:
The Aji Amarillo get about 5-7 feet tall, the pods are great, but production is kind of slow.

Exactly the reason I put it off growing it for so long given my shorter season, Devv.  I takes a good early start to get some of the slower baccatum to produce around here and it still involves waiting forever for ripening.  :)  I'm growing Aji Giallo Arancio too (thanks MF!), which are probably a better fit for local conditions, but I really want to add the Amarillo as a staple.

CaneDog said:

Exactly the reason I put it off growing it for so long given my shorter season, Devv.  I takes a good early start to get some of the slower baccatum to produce around here and it still involves waiting forever for ripening.  :)  I'm growing Aji Giallo Arancio too (thanks MF!), which are probably a better fit for local conditions, but I really want to add the Amarillo as a staple.
I passed on them this year because they take so long, maybe I should start them earlier. But in the previous grows I had to top them, as they get so dang tall.
I ran out of room height wise indoors. The pods are worth growing for sure ;)

A little update on the variegate jalapenos. They definitely fall into 3 categories.  All green and grow like gangbusters; mixed green and white and grow on the slow side, but okay; and almost all white and I'm hoping they will actually survive and produce.

Here's one of the mixed white/green that are growing okay. 
20200523 VJalap.jpg

The stems on these with the mixed bright purple anthocyanin and white and a little green are pretty cool.
20200523 VGStemCU.jpg

Here's one of the almost totally white ones, which I fear are surviving mostly off their cotyledons.
20200523 WhiteJalap.jpg

So far the stem is pure white above the cotyledons.
20200523 WhiteJalapStem.jpg

CaneDog said:
Here's a few plants growing from seeds that Bhuter shared with me. They were all late starts and will likely stay indoors as a result, but they'll definitely be worth the allocation of space. 

First is his Grocery Store Mystery, a chocolate super hot.  The seeds were from 2015 and had me waiting a while, but after 28 days I finally see what looks to be a healthy hook.
attachicon.gif
20200523 GSM.jpg

Here is an F5 7P Cinder.  It didn't sprout that long ago and is growing happily and quickly under the T5HO's.
attachicon.gif
20200523 Cinder.jpg

And last is a Purple Flower Baccatum.  I'm growing these from 2 sources this season and I'm really happy I added the genetics from Bhuter on this.  This plant absolutely STINKS like perfume.  It's at least as fragrant as any Rocoto or Purple Corolla Clade pepper I've grown and probably a fair amount more so.  Suggests some interesting possibilities about its genetics and will be a strong candidate for future monkey business.
attachicon.gif
20200523 StinkyPFB.jpg
Wow! Amazing and quick work with those already! Great stuff! First off...that variegated Jalapeño: STUNNING! Very beautiful!
I'm stoked about that Grocery Store Mystery! Here's a link for others who haven't heard anything about it.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/72588-grocery-store-mystery/

The 7P Cinder is notorious for taking 1-2 weeks longer to germinate. I only wanted 4 every year, but ended up with 8 because I didn't think they'd germinate. All 8 always have. Well, I think I caught on and waited longer on the initial 4 last year. Lol

I received that Purple Flower from Enrico Lai (mojo) of Italy. I BELIEVE he got them from a grower named Max in Germany. I am not quite sure, though, as Enrico's is tending to other things atm and a lil hard to get ahold of. Beautiful flowers on this plant! The pods are about 2-3 inches long, red, and almost "skinny-kidney" shaped. On the higher end of Baccatum heat, IMO. Not scalding, but warmer than most Baccatum's I've tried. Bright red!

Everything looks great!!!!! Holy moly! Great work, as always, Professor!

:woohoo:

Now those are simply stunning! 
I wonder if the plant is able to grow and set fruit? Perhaps the plant didn't learn about chlorophyll and its role in photosynthesis, and therefore grows anyway?  :P
I think everyone on this site is following them very closely this year

Mildfruit said:
I wonder if the plant is able to grow and set fruit? Perhaps the plant didn't learn about chlorophyll and its role in photosynthesis, and therefore grows anyway?  :P

Yep, I think it will be an uphill climb every step of the way to getting viable seed from the white ones, but they'll have to fail me versus the other way around.  :)

So, I suppose I'll continue spamming photos with a few more; these from the T5HO tent.

These 3 are baccatum "Fragilis."
20200523 Fragilus3.jpg

A closer shot of the biggest one showing the funky growth characteristics.
20200523 FragilusLarge.jpg

This pepper is showing an interesting growth pattern with a very early fork.  And nice character to the leaves IMO.
20200523 MysteryAC1K2.jpg

And lastly, my galapagoense is doing better again after being lethargic for a while.  I repotted it and moved it back under the T5HO's where it gets warmer conditions with more humidity.
20200523 GalapagoenseAC.jpg

I've run out of superlatives for
your grow, my friend    :clap:

CaneDog said:

That's right, they fork and get real tall then start sending up laterals.
They eventually get fairly dense. They set pods almost for every flower,
and continue doing so through any kind of weather! I'd sure like to grow
some in a longer season climate. 

Ghost Pepper Revolution said:
Ah ok CD, that makes sense then tall first bushy 2nd and pods take forever  :rofl:

Ha, yep!  That pretty much says "baccatum" to me. 

PaulG said:
That's right, they fork and get real tall then start sending up laterals.
They eventually get fairly dense. They set pods almost for every flower,
and continue doing so through any kind of weather! I'd sure like to grow
some in a longer season climate.

Thanks for the info on what to expect.  I do remember hearing about the height on these now that you and Devv remind me.  I may need to keep this one controlled in a container if i want to see ripe pods this season, but it's tempting to drop it into a raised bed and see what it can do.

CaneDog said:

Yep, I think it will be an uphill climb every step of the way to getting viable seed from the white ones, but they'll have to fail me versus the other way around.  :)

So, I suppose I'll continue spamming photos with a few more; these from the T5HO tent.

These 3 are baccatum "Fragilis."
attachicon.gif
20200523 Fragilus3.jpg

A closer shot of the biggest one showing the funky growth characteristics.
attachicon.gif
20200523 FragilusLarge.jpg

This pepper is showing an interesting growth pattern with a very early fork.  And nice character to the leaves IMO.
attachicon.gif
20200523 MysteryAC1K2.jpg

And lastly, my galapagoense is doing better again after being lethargic for a while.  I repotted it and moved it back under the T5HO's where it gets warmer conditions with more humidity.
attachicon.gif
20200523 GalapagoenseAC.jpg
Interesting growth habit on the Fragilis. Initial thought was along the P. Dreadie-MoA, yellow bonnet habit, until I saw the close up.

Great looking plats buddy!

Devv said:
Interesting growth habit on the Fragilis. Initial thought was along the P. Dreadie-MoA, yellow bonnet habit, until I saw the close up.

Great looking plats buddy!

It does sort of look like scotch bonnet extra small, extra crinkly!  ;)

Bhuter said:
Marvelous!!!!
Great stuff!
I LOVE the "Fragilis". Beaut!!!!!
Peach bhut SS is killin' it! Is that Judy's Select Strain? I have a Peach Scorpion from her (via Malarky) that I haven't tried yet.
Galapagoense is amazing!!!!

:woohoo:

Yep, it's the old pepper lover SS.  Not super bhut-like, but a beast of a performer.

The galap finally started cooperating and it's crazy bushy, like laterals on the laterals of the laterals bushy.

Back