• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

CaneDog said:
It does sort of look like scotch bonnet extra small, extra crinkly!  ;)

Yep, it's the old pepper lover SS.  Not super bhut-like, but a beast of a performer.

The galap finally started cooperating and it's crazy bushy, like laterals on the laterals of the laterals bushy.
Awesome! I have a wild Galapagoense but it's a Frutescens. Got it from pepper-guru who got it from a hiker on the island. Rich said crinkly until transplant. He was right. It went from cell to 4" pot.
F0Lu7b2.jpg

0wf4DLy.jpg

Bhuter said:
Awesome! I have a wild Galapagoense but it's a Frutescens. Got it from pepper-guru who got it from a hiker on the island. Rich said crinkly until transplant. He was right. It went from cell to 4" pot.

So I am confused now.  I know,  it don't take much but........how can a C. Galapagoense also be a C. Frutescens?

The Galapagoense I have growing looks like the one CD is growing.   

Tybo said:
So I am confused now.  I know,  it don't take much but........how can a C. Galapagoense also be a C. Frutescens?

The Galapagoense I have growing looks like the one CD is growing.
That's my fault. It's just a wild Galapagos, not Galapagoense. It's a wild Frutescens found on the Galapagos island. Sorry.

CaneDog said:
Some JZ x PJ F1's pods are starting to ripen.  I'm curious what these F2 seeds will bring.
attachicon.gif
20200531 JZxPJ.jpg

Old flower shot.  Will be cool if the purple and white mix shows up again in round II, but I'm not sure that's how it works.
attachicon.gif
20200326 JZxPJ-Flower.jpg
Good looking pod and plant, excuse me for not knowing but what is JZ and PJ cross short for?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peppergator said:
Good looking pod and plant, excuse me for not knowing but what is JZ and PJ cross short for?

Hey Gator.  I just sorta fall into shorthand.  It's a Jalapeno Zapotec crossed with a Purple Jalapeno.  I thought it might produce an interesting result.  I did a couple jalapeno crosses last year with this and with a Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec, hoping to get a big sweet "jalapeno" from that one with still decent heat.

CaneDog said:

Hey Gator.  I just sorta fall into shorthand.  It's a Jalapeno Zapotec crossed with a Purple Jalapeno.  I thought it might produce an interesting result.  I did a couple jalapeno crosses last year with this and with a Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec, hoping to get a big sweet "jalapeno" from that one with still decent heat.
Those are interesting crosses definitely following to see how they turn out. Are you going to immediately plant your F2 seeds, or are you waiting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peppergator said:
Those are interesting crosses definitely following to see how they turn out. Are you going to immediately plant your F2 seeds, or are you waiting?

Not sure how I missed your post, Gator.  I haven't decided yet about that.  Right now I couldn't really manage the broad F2 grow needed to see reasonably complete variation in the attributes that interest me, but I'm definitely temped to grow a plant. 

catchthebear said:
Everything is looking great as always, CD.  I'm jealous!  My stuff really suffered this season with the move.  I have one sad looking variegated Jalapeno left that I don't have the highest hopes for, so I'm glad you've had success with those. :)

Thanks, Bear.  It's going to be a fun season.  I just need to convince my local weather to get it in gear.

You look like you've gotten fairly well settled in now.  Good to see.  The new digs for the plants look great.  I expect them to take off like gangbusters once they get their roots dug into the new ground.

Mildfruit said:
Awesome cross! I noticed the rings on the stem of the peppers, are those to indicate the ones you isoloate? It looks like all the peppers in the pictures have them.

Thanks.  Yep, those are just short sections cut from a straw and split so they open and close around the pedicel.  Those pods were "isolated" while the plant was still inside in the HLG tent by turning off the fan and keeping some spacing during flowering until enough fruit had set.  I've had very good results with that method and it's easy. 

That JZ/PJ cross is going to be interesting. Let us know if you need some help with F2s as I could always grow a plant or two next year as well and send back seeds of interesting phenotype(s). Is looks the main decisive factor or also flavor? How were the purple and JZ in terms of heat and sweetness?

Smart idea with the straws cut open, something to keep in mind this year as I guess it 'grows' with the stem too?

Where are you in terms of planting out and deploying your new lot in the public garden? I'm so curious to see what an amazing grow you're bound to pull off there that it will be awesome to watch! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

The flexuosum on the back deck have bucked the crappy weather and seem ready to produce.  There's been the odd flower here and there for the last 4-6 weeks, but the big purple flex in particular is starting to load up and they all look serious now.

Purple Flex
2020-06-12 BigPFlex.jpg

2020-06-12 BPFlex.jpg

Standard Flex
2020-06-12 RFlex.jpg

2020-06-12 RFlexF.jpg

PdN has nice color to the back of the flower
2020-06-12 PdNBsck.jpg

But almost no color visible on the front of the petals - a testament to our recent lack of sun, perhaps.
2020-06-12 PdNFront.jpg

Giant Yellow Rocoto x Rocopica keeps getting taller and taller.  Hopefully the pods will start to ripen as the weather warms. I thought the early node activation on this looked kinda cool.
2020-06-12 GYx1491.jpg

Chile Rayado sporting some early fuzz
2020-06-12 Rayado.jpg

And the variegated jalapenos on the white end of the spectrum continue to grow slowly.  I keep thinking of Wile E. Coyote continuing to run after he's gone off the cliff.  Perhaps as long as they don't look down they won't realize they need chlorophyll to photosynthesize sunlight and continue to grow.  
2020-06-12 VJalap.jpg

And just because this guy was buzzing around the plants I grabbed a quick pic.
20200608 Fly.jpg

lespaulde said:
That JZ/PJ cross is going to be interesting. Let us know if you need some help with F2s as I could always grow a plant or two next year as well and send back seeds of interesting phenotype(s). Is looks the main decisive factor or also flavor? How were the purple and JZ in terms of heat and sweetness?

Smart idea with the straws cut open, something to keep in mind this year as I guess it 'grows' with the stem too?

Where are you in terms of planting out and deploying your new lot in the public garden? I'm so curious to see what an amazing grow you're bound to pull off there that it will be awesome to watch! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Hey LP.  I'm happy to send you F2 seeds to the JZ x PJ if you're interested in trying it - I have a few ripe pods now.  I also have Chile Rayado seeds and I'm expecting Tekne Dolmasi x JZ F2's shortly, if either interests you for your Jalapeno grow.

I never had the chance to taste the Purple Jalapeno - long story of hardship - it was all I could do to get pollen for a cross.  The JZ's though had great flavor (I harvested all of them red) and greater than typical jalapeno heat.

Plant out's been a mess, with just about everything conspiring against me recently.  I have a bunch of plants ready to go as soon as I can get my act together and the weather cooperates. My original plan was to have them out a full 3 weeks ago, but as cool, windy, and wet as the last three weeks have been I'm kinda glad I didn't.  Hoping to get them out this week.  They're definitely ready.  And I'm a bit tired of having so many plants on the deck. :)

CaneDog said:
You did it again, so pretty pictures! 

If I remember right the purple on the flexousums seems to be more pronounced this year than last?

And oh my gosh, that variegated jalapeño is probably the most beautiful pepper plant I've seen! I think you are right, please don't tell it about chlorophyll, we might be lucky here  :P

Wow.  Nice pics CD.  That variegated jalapeño is really cool looking.  Are you keeping it in a dark location?
My Chile Rayado's are about the same size as your's but I haven't noticed the fuzz.  I really need to get some new pics.  
Hope the weather turns off nice so you can get some planting done!

Sounds like you are into the June Suck, too, CD.
Guess that's just the way it is here in the PNW
nowadays.

That white variegated pepper plant is so cool.
What a beauty! My one specimen that survived
has lost all it's variegation on the new leaves.

Are those little flower buds on the stalk crown?

Mildfruit said:
You did it again, so pretty pictures! 

If I remember right the purple on the flexousums seems to be more pronounced this year than last?

And oh my gosh, that variegated jalapeño is probably the most beautiful pepper plant I've seen! I think you are right, please don't tell it about chlorophyll, we might be lucky here  :P

Shoot, MF, I'm not really sure about the purple this year versus last.  It might be that the purple is more consistently dark throughout all the flowers this season versus last, but there were some dark purple flowers last season too, especially late in the year - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/73148-canedog-2020/page-18#entry1676016.  I separated the standard flex from the two purple ones to minimize the likelihood of hybridization, with the goal of deriving a "most purple" line and one absolutely lacking in anthocyanin. 

I think the mostly-white versions of the v jalap's are getting ready to fork now.  I really hope they have what it takes to produce.

Tybo said:
Wow.  Nice pics CD.  That variegated jalapeño is really cool looking.  Are you keeping it in a dark location?
My Chile Rayado's are about the same size as your's but I haven't noticed the fuzz.  I really need to get some new pics.  
Hope the weather turns off nice so you can get some planting done!

Hey Tybo.  I have two of the mostly-white v. jalap's. One I moved outside into the gloomy June weather in order to get it natural sun, but the one in the picture is getting about 18/6 in the T5HO tent.  I'm assuming that with little chlorophyll, the longer and (within reason) the more intense light I provide it the better.   Thanks for the good wishes on weather.  Our June Suck, as Paul so eloquently terms it, has come with extra suck this year and I'm ready for it to be gone!

I have several sprouts of the Rayado and this might be the only one showing any noticeable fuzz.  I expect we'll both see a lot more once the plants start getting more into their grow.

PaulG said:
Sounds like you are into the June Suck, too, CD.
Guess that's just the way it is here in the PNW
nowadays.

That white variegated pepper plant is so cool.
What a beauty! My one specimen that survived
has lost all it's variegation on the new leaves.

Are those little flower buds on the stalk crown?

I sure am!  The weather over the past several weeks has been about as lame as I can remember, plus I've had more wind to contend with too.  I'm really hoping it turns the corner soon as expected.

I took a good look at the crown on the v. jalap. because it kinda looked that way, but nothing yet.  I think it's getting ready to fork though, so hopefully soon!

Back