• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

HeatMiser said:
Nice pics CD... that variegated Jalapeno looks awesome. Do you think grafting a branch from another plant (when this one is bigger) help with the chlorophyll issue you mentioned?
That hadn't occurred to me, but it's an intriguing idea.  Might look pretty cool wedge grafted onto pimenta de neyde root stock with a few lateral nodes left to grow surrounding dark foliage and fuel growth.

CaneDog said:

Hey Gator.  I just sorta fall into shorthand.  It's a Jalapeno Zapotec crossed with a Purple Jalapeno.  I thought it might produce an interesting result.  I did a couple jalapeno crosses last year with this and with a Tekne Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec, hoping to get a big sweet "jalapeno" from that one with still decent heat.
I posted a pic of the Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec seeds I got from you.  its really starting to take off in growth. only one in picture but ive got three of them growing.

BDASPNY said:
I posted a pic of the Dolmasi x Jalapeno Zapotec seeds I got from you.  its really starting to take off in growth. only one in picture but ive got three of them growing.

That's awesome!  Thank's for dedicating some of your space to these.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they do for you. 

I've kept the crosses in smaller pots, so I'm not going to see their full potential.  JZ x PJ produced a lot of pods (relative to size), but they're not particularly big.  The TD x JZ produced fewer pods and while they started off appearing not much bigger, they've continued to grow to a respectable size.  I think with yours in the ground the production and size should be good - and hopefully the taste and the pop will be as well!

CaneDog said:

That's awesome!  Thank's for dedicating some of your space to these.  I'm looking forward to seeing how they do for you. 

I've kept the crosses in smaller pots, so I'm not going to see their full potential.  JZ x PJ produced a lot of pods (relative to size), but they're not particularly big.  The TD x JZ produced fewer pods and while they started off appearing not much bigger, they've continued to grow to a respectable size.  I think with yours in the ground the production and size should be good - and hopefully the taste and the pop will be as well!
from the looks of it so far im expecting a reasonably large and bushy plant.  I put them in the very front of my jalapeno rows. when they get large and produce I should be able to take some nice shots of them.                                              

PaulG said:
Sounds like you are into the June Suck, too, CD.
Guess that's just the way it is here in the PNW
nowadays.

Wow, I was not expecting this.  It's freaking cold here in June.  I'm used to 90 degrees by end of February.  Nothing but tomatoes for me.  Not so different to what I'm used to growing them in, so it isn't a total disappointment. (although it's winter for me, usually)

solid7 said:

Wow, I was not expecting this.  It's freaking cold here in June.  I'm used to 90 degrees by end of February.  Nothing but tomatoes for me.  Not so different to what I'm used to growing them in, so it isn't a total disappointment. (although it's winter for me, usually)
This is a recent development, Seven. When I started
growing Chilis in 2012, the Spring weather was much
better. The last four Or five seasons have seen this sucky
downturn in growing weather, and it has definitely impacted
my grows negatively. I am seriously considering not starting
seeds until March first, and not planning on plant-out until
July first. My containers are all waterlogged, and most of the
chinenses, both wild and domesticated, look like puke!

PaulG said:
This is a recent development, Seven. When I started
growing Chilis in 2012, the Spring weather was much
better. The last four Or five seasons have seen this sucky
downturn in growing weather, and it has definitely impacted
my grows negatively. I am seriously considering not starting
seeds until March first, and not planning on plant-out until
July first. My containers are all waterlogged, and most of the
chinenses, both wild and domesticated, look like puke!

I've got 7 tomato plants, and one rocoto.  The tomatoes don't mind, they seem to love it.  But the rocoto got its salvation from the fact that I planted it in a cactus mix.  So until I pot it up, it's pretty free draining.  But I haven't seen a single day in a week get over 62 degrees here.

On the bright side, it looks like the weather's starting to come around and plant-out may be imminent.

Paul, pretty much every season it's a question of whether I slow things down and target plant-out when I'm sure the weather will be good or to roll the dice in the hopes of early good weather.  I'm not sure the "wait and be certain" approach has ever won out, though. ;)

CaneDog said:
On the bright side, it looks like the weather's starting to come around and plant-out may be imminent.

Paul, pretty much every season it's a question of whether I slow things down and target plant-out when I'm sure the weather will be good or to roll the dice in the hopes of early good weather.  I'm not sure the "wait and be certain" approach has ever won out, though. ;)
Yeah, I know what you mean. My thinking is that rather
than spend five months in too small of a container, they
could be planted out when they are mostly in go mode.
Of course, if I do that we will have a sucky September/
October and wind up with no pods. Not growing chinenses
might be the ticket! Except for Purple Thunder and Trippaul
Threat, of course  ;)  Maybe limiting myself to 20 plants
might help, as well  :rofl:

Yeah damn peeps, sorry to hear about all the weather trouble up in PNW! Would it help to tell you you're taking one for the team as weather has been rather gorgeous over here? ;) I hope your weather will truly turn around soon as it should know it is actually summer by now; otherwise, I am sure we can do our part in EU and trade some of your crappy weather for some of our current sunshine... As long as we can trade back and forth, I think we can all benefit!

CaneDog said:

Hey LP.  I'm happy to send you F2 seeds to the JZ x PJ if you're interested in trying it - I have a few ripe pods now.  I also have Chile Rayado seeds and I'm expecting Tekne Dolmasi x JZ F2's shortly, if either interests you for your Jalapeno grow.

I never had the chance to taste the Purple Jalapeno - long story of hardship - it was all I could do to get pollen for a cross.  The JZ's though had great flavor (I harvested all of them red) and greater than typical jalapeno heat.

Plant out's been a mess, with just about everything conspiring against me recently.  I have a bunch of plants ready to go as soon as I can get my act together and the weather cooperates. My original plan was to have them out a full 3 weeks ago, but as cool, windy, and wet as the last three weeks have been I'm kinda glad I didn't.  Hoping to get them out this week.  They're definitely ready.  And I'm a bit tired of having so many plants on the deck. :)
Mr McDog, those three types seeds all sound super interesting for next year's grow, although I already had quite a few extras from you I was meaning to grow in 2021... Guess I will be slightly upscaling yet again, as this seems to be the inevitable trend on this forum... ;) I would definitely appreciate another trade and hope to have something on the table still that would be of interest, other than helping you get desirable plant traits out of your F2s.

I'm keeping everything crossed that's crossable for you and Paul to be able to plant out now very soon to accelerate those plants and production. Thanks for some gorgeous pics during the wait though, always fantastic to watch! :)

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Plants look great and the crosses all sound great. That variegated jalapeno really steals the show, what an amazing looking plant.
Best of luck on the weather, but with your weather comes those beautiful trees. The areas around there are simply beautiful.

Thanks for the good weather wishes, guys.  We rarely see extremes here, but we have no shortage of funks.  Things have been good the past couple days and I think we're turning the corner.

I saw in Tybo's glog that his galapagoense had started to flower - nice work with that, Tybo - so I took a closer look at mine, which recently started flowering too.  Maybe I shouldn't count my chickens, but the flowers are definitely dropping pollen and it looks like the first flower has set.  They're tiny though, so I'll probably have to get the plant into a bigger pot and beef it up some if I want any reasonable amount of production.  Seems to be a hallmark of my season that things aren't getting stepped up as much as they should; a result, I'm sure, of growing just too many damn peppers   :)

A few galap pics...

2020-06-20 GalapF.jpg

2020-06-20 GalapF2.jpg

and the tiny set one
2020-06-20 GalapS.jpg

Nice pics as always, CD.  
Are you gonna try to isolated any buds on that plant?
I've been keeping an eye on mine.  It only has the one bud so far.  Maybe I should slip a wedding favor bag over it?  Elmers maybe?  

Edited to ask.......How are the Rayada's doing.  Mine are coming along slowly.  Still inside at this time.  I'll try to post some pics on my glog later.

Hey Tybo.  The galapagoense is isolated inside with nothing around it flowering any time soon, so if I can get it to set some decent pods I'll be all set for true seeds.  The one flower that appears to have set is tiny - minuscule - so I'll have to do better than that if I want seeds :)

The Rayado have been interesting.  When they germinated they went from no sign of 'em to stretched and lanky in about 10 hours overnight.  I got the lights cranked up on them asap, but I've been having to mitigate since.  I staked them and they looked like they'd grow roots well up the stem so I sunk them a bit on transplant.  They're outdoors now and growing at a moderate pace.  I'll probably keep the best 2 of them.

Here's a few pictures.  I think they popped on 5/15, so they're at about 5 weeks.

Best prospect so far.  Never staked using a straw before, but I thought it might work well.
20200621 Rayado1.jpg

The rest.  The one in the Dixie shows how lanky they got at germination.
20200621 Rayado4.jpg

I left this one around after transplanting the others, just to watch it.  You can see how far up the stem I could sink them on transplant.
20200621 RayadoAdv.jpg

Back