• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Mr.joe said:
I bought a grodan gro smart tray. At about $15 it's probably more expensive than a cooling rack. The Gro Smart tray fits in 1020 trays and holds rockwool cubes or 1.5 inch plugs.

Mr.joe said:
I think the 1.5 are good for seed starting. The tray is also designed for cubes if you flip it over. I think it's a pretty cool design.

I'm gonna have to look into these trays since I use the 1.5" Grodan cubes and have plenty.

I have some interesting mycelium growth and fruiting happening in the poly port with the yaki seeds. Maybe they were in worse shape than I even thought, though they've actually looked better since hydrating - who'd have though imbibing would improve how things look, right? ;)

Anyhow, these things are pretty small, but I can see the hyphae threads among the seeds and connecting these little push-pin "mushrooms."

Pretty cool stuff! - unless the screw up my seeds, that is. 

Close
20200123 YakiMycoL1K.jpg

Closer
20200123 YakiMyco1K.jpg

Closest
20200123 YakiMycoCU1K.jpg

Hey CD, do you think those 'mold' spores
will affect your germinating seeds? I was
under the impression they were not a good
thing. Maybe I am mistaken?

In any case, an awesome set of pics!

Tybo said:
Nice close ups.  Are you still using the magnifying glass?

Haha!  Nice reference Tybo.  Less, recently, but I'm starting to break it out more again.

ChrisH said:
Really cool pictures in this glog.

Thanks Chris.  I'm really hoping those old seeds of yours germinate this next round.  It will be really cool to see what they produce!

EDIT:  Sorry about the mix-up, Chris.  Not sure how I got that in my head, but I wish you good luck with all your germinating just the same!

PaulG said:

I agree.  I think it's potentially harmful, but unfortunately it interests me with the visible hyphae and fruiting.  It's definitely different than mold.  I haven't had much faith in these few Yaki seeds anyway, and this might confirm that the pods suffered in the late season colder, wetter weather.  I contemplated a spritz of H2O2 and then rinsing, but decided against it.  This morning I scooched an as-yet unaffected one over to the side and (hopefully) out of the way.  I guess we'll see what happens.  

dragonsfire said:
U still use h2o2 in the water to moisten them ?

You hit on a key point, DF.  For the first time in I don't know how long I planted these without an H2O2 pre-soak.  I didn't soak the first scottex round because I intentionally sprinkled the seeds with myco and didn't want any residual interfering.  Then this second round of scottex I guess I got lazy and started 4 more varieties without H2O2 despite that I wasn't inoculating with the myco.  Perhaps that would have helped.

By the way, I bought a potato the other day to make potato dextrose agar for plating some seeds as you brought up.  I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I expect I'd create and autoclave the PDA plates, then try a couple with just seeds (after H2O2 treatment) and a couple with myco inoculation as the PDA is a great fungal medium. It's just an involved enough process that I haven't committed to starting it yet.

Im already already paranoid about the Yaki seeds not going so I do a few at a time and diff mediums lol
CaneDog said:

I haven't had much faith in these few Yaki seeds anyway, and this might confirm that the pods suffered in the late season colder, wetter weather. 

By the way, I bought a potato the other day to make potato dextrose agar for plating some seeds as you brought up.  I haven't gotten around to doing it yet, but I expect I'd create and autoclave the PDA plates, then try a couple with just seeds (after H2O2 treatment) and a couple with myco inoculation as the PDA is a great fungal medium. It's just an involved enough process that I haven't committed to starting it yet.
I remember doing the potato thing a while ago, I think I put some malt barley powder in their too but dont recall, have to see if I still have some.

Also not all Myco are bad, the white ones are a benefit, the ones from nature thats in the ground and helps all the plants/trees.

:)

PaulG said:

I tol' 'im, then I tol' 'im some more, those used petri dishes from CDC garage sales aren't going to make for health in a sprout...Some people, ya can't buy books enough!!

dragonsfire said:
Im already already paranoid about the Yaki seeds not going so I do a few at a time and diff mediums lol
I remember doing the potato thing a while ago, I think I put some malt barley powder in their too but dont recall, have to see if I still have some.

Also not all Myco are bad, the white ones are a benefit, the ones from nature thats in the ground and helps all the plants/trees.

:)

It certainly doesn't have an evil mold look, but I don't know what it is.  It'll get a pass though to see what comes of it.  Maybe it's a good one.  I hope your yakis do something. 

And hey, one of the Pumpkin Habaneros that popped on scottex the other day is hooking up in soil.  I'm pretty psyched about those and may drop one into Kratky to hurry it to pods indoors. 3 of 4 sprouted in a week.

Had the fastest of the most recent round Grodan cubes produce, this an Aji Amarillo à La PaulG after 4 days.  

20200124 AjiAmarilloPG.jpg

This guy has earned a spot through flat-out perseverance.  It's a JZxPJ that's radicle end died with fungal rot, yet for the first time I remember seeing this the radicle has send out multiple really healthy looking roots above the necrotic portion. I have plenty of this cross started already for an F1 generation, but you show me you want to play bad enough and I'll put you in the game.

20200124 JZxPJ RadicleRot.jpg

A few photos of seedlings, which always look cool to me when they're fuzzy:

Galapagos Habanero - not very fuzzy, but cool!
20200124 GalapHabHook.jpg

Eximium Not Buforum ("Skinny")
20200124 EximiumSkinny.jpg

Amarillo de Ariquipa
20200124 AmarillodeAreqAC.jpg

Inoks said:
Nice pics!!

Thanks, Inoks!  I find the young sprouts to be really cool often in close-up shots.

Bookers said:
Awesome! I planted these January 1st. Looking good so far...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Looking good, Bookers!  Those guys should be starting to pile on the growth soon.  What kind of cutting do you have in that pill container?

It's a 3 year Carolina reaper the planet is alive but looking weak decided to take a swinglish approach and cut the dead branches and start a fresh... not dead yet though lol... Thanks

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Here's the current state of what's up from recent starts. The first # means it's sprouted and above ground in a growing container.  The second "#s" is for seeds that sprouted in scottex and have been transplanted, but aren't up yet in their growing container.  I have a bunch of wilds and rocotos tented or on my back deck for OW, so I'll be starting fewer from seed this season.

7Pot - Brain Strain OG: 2  
Annuum - Galapagoense:  3      
Annuum - Indian PC-1:  0 - 1s 
Annuum - Jalapeno Lemon Spice:  1 - 4s
Annuum - Jalapeno Orange Spice:  1 - 5s
Annuum - Tekne Dolmasi x Jalap Zapotec F1:  2  
Annuum - Mr. Spaziano's Thai:  0 - 5s
Bacc - Aji Amarillo:  1  
Chin - Aji Panca:  1 - 3s
Chin - Murupi Large Red:  0 - 2s 
Chin - Reaper: 1 - 3s
Cross - CAP 1242 x CAP 1491 F1:  2