• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Uncle_Eccoli said:
Excellent photos!  Love the mushrooms. 

I was surprised to see so many.  They just started popping up within only a week or so of starting with the mix.  If you look closely at 8:00 on the mushroom in the second to last pic, above, there's a confused aphid trying to feed on the it.

Yeah, I got the aphids...  The overlapping outdoor/indoor season has all sorts of things off-kilter around here.

Tybo said:
Nice start for your 2020 glog.  Can't wait to see more!

Thanks Tybo.  Been enjoying yours so far and feel the same!

dragonsfire said:
Good Luck !!
Hoping for a great year :)

I appreciate it DF.  Hopefully this year will make up for so many of us getting gypped this last season.  Was glad to hear you're setting things up at your place so you're less at the mercy of the fickle weather.  Looking forward to seeing how it looks when you get it all set up!

bpiela said:
So, for your soak you are putting seeds in a H2O2 mix for a day or so?

You are the most patient grower with that 100 day galapagoense.  I would have given up a long time ago.  Best of luck with your grow this year.

Hey bpiela.  I almost always soak for 18-24 hours in a ratio of 3% H2O2 to water, typically somewhere in the 1:3 and 1:9 range.  I tend to go with a higher concentration where I want chemical scarification and more dilute when I'm simply trying to hyper-oxygenate.  In this case I'd just shaken the vials so it looks extra foamy.

TBH, I sorta lucked out with the galapagoense.  After I transplanted the first couple that popped I just set the container in a corner under the lights and spritzed it with the spray bottle every now and then.  Was pretty surprised to see it pop after all that time - and with it looking even healthier/stronger than the first two!

Happy New Year and best of luck with your season this year too!

Hi CD...Off and running...great photos as always esp., the mushrooms.Isn't it a great feeling to see a much desired seed pop
even if it takes 100 days. ;) ...we know how those wilds like to take there own sweet time to show...up..The galap & tovs seem to get
a big kick out of doing that! Wishing you a great growing year & look forward to your photos etc. as we move on in 2020.

wiriwiri said:
Hi CD...Off and running...great photos as always esp., the mushrooms.Isn't it a great feeling to see a a much desired seed pop
even if it takes 100 days. ;) ...we know how those wilds like to take there ownsweet time to show...up..The galap & tovs seem to get
a big kick out of doing that! Wishing you a great growing year & look forward to your photos etc. as we move on in 2020.

Thanks Wiri!  I have a killer line-up of seeds you sent me that are just biding their time until plant date.  Really excited about them.  Looking forward to your grow this year too - here's to a better 2020!

Alright, Dr. McDog! You are having success before
you even start! Really looking forward to seeing
how your grow turns out this season.

+1 Ben!

I'm with you hoping for a better grow season this
year. It has to be our turn, my friend   :pray:

^^ :drooling: ^^

In the immortal words of one Gandalf the Grey, "So it begins..."

I'm glad to see success on your end, 'Dog, sorry for the aphids. Bastiges.

I'm vascillating on planting day. I'll likely put something to ground this month, but zone 3 is a learned skill with these exotics...Plant-out Day is practically June here, that requires a lot of indoor growth where my OWs reside...

Lots of jealous goin' on at my house.

Hey, your 'Hawks done well yesterday. Carson Wentz is a porcelain queen, thank your stars that Foles moved on, McCowan made it easy for Seattle to chalk it up. 

PtMD989 said:
Do you have to wait, to plant seeds, in your new shroom factory mix,eh [emoji848].

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, I'm not waiting :) so hopefully I won't find out there was any need to!  ATM I'm using it with a lazy mix (with some perlite and a handful of container mix) in starter Solo cups. I'm playing around with sieving to remove some of the smaller particles to get the drainage right.  Next weekend I'll be doing more to learn about a better mix for the duration of the season. It's partially composted and the pH seems to be ok. So far, so good.

skullbiker said:
So, are the shrooms MAGIC, or just unexpected?[emoji848]

Ha, I think this guy is wondering the same thing.  If I see him back again tomorrow with all his buddies we might have our answer!
20200103 MMAphid.jpg

Back