• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

CaneDog said:

And just wait until they get far enough south they can meet up with the Africanized bees heading north.  

They're up near Washington's Canadian border, so the midway point would be what, somewhere around the Tualatin Valley?  ;)

Africanized Murder Hornets??!??!   :eek:  :)
If they come around here, I'll have to buy armor ;)

I have a lot, I mean a lot of honey bees around here. Lucky for me they are docile. Even so, about 7-9 years ago I "found" a nest whilst on the tractor. I quickly found out that even (then) in my mid 50's I could run like I was 16, uphill!

Devv said:
...about 7-9 years ago I "found" a nest whilst on the tractor. I quickly found out that even (then) in my mid 50's I could run like I was 16, uphill!

Shoot I bet!   And probably looking like this all the way   :fireball:

I got stung on the tongue a while back biking.  Bee went straight into my mouth and I instantly tried to spit it out like a cherry pit - you know, how you kind of roll it in your tongue before you shoot it out? 

I can't tell you the best way to spit out a bee, but I can sure tell you what it isn't!

Well the thing is that they are big enough that you should be able to easily smack them straight out of the sky given a heavy-duty metal swatter. Or build a big trap for them where you melt beeswax over a tea candle. They will smell that shit a mile away, for sure.

podz said:
Well the thing is that they are big enough that you should be able to easily smack them straight out of the sky given a heavy-duty metal swatter. Or build a big trap for them where you melt beeswax over a tea candle. They will smell that shit a mile away, for sure.
I like how you think, except I’d run a propane line to it with electronic ignition to torch each turd that flies in

PtMD989 said:
Those variegated jalapeños are crazy cool looking [emoji106]. So what did you have to trade to get the high ground plot? I say you should get some concertina wire to keep the critters out [emoji16].

I'd have paid good money, but all it cost me was a few minutes of my time talking with the new ranger (the garden's run by county rangers) and telling her how the peppers really needed a plot up the hill with full sun and better drainage.  Was amazed when I got the call.  I guess I was the squeakiest wheel.  :)

Concertina wire FTW!  Great idea.  It may look like the state penitentiary, but if you plan to steal my peppers you'd better pack a lunch! 

Back