• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2020

2020 is underway, so it's time to start the new season's glog!  Odd times though, as I'm still harvesting stragglers from last season while the earliest of my 2020 starts are already up.  Grow areas are a bit disorganized as a result  :rolleyes:

This season's grow should be a little more balanced than last season, though I'll still have a ridiculous number of rocotos - many OW's plus a bunch of new varieties - and quite a few carry-over OW wilds, too.

A big "thanks" to all who shared seeds with me for this season.  I'm appreciative and excited to have lots of cool varieties in the mix, many of which I got to watch you grow last season and can now try myself.  I think I'm current with everyone, but if by any chance you were expecting seeds from me that may have slipped through the cracks just shoot me a PM.

As I mentioned, things aren't super organized right now, but here's a few pics anyway.

I planted a few seeds early, just because I couldn't hold off the extra few weeks without planting something.

Amarillo de Arequipa Rocoto just popped- Thanks CTB!
20200102 Amarillo de Arequipa.jpg

Ecuador Sweet Rocoto twins - and a big shout out to the two peeps who sent me seeds for these. Both sources germinated and I'm really happy to have them growing.  Disclaimer: they may look overly wet, but these just got sprayed (to avoid HH's) and it's a very porous medium.
20200103 ESRs.jpg

Put another few rocotos in to soak today.
20200104 R3S.jpg

This is a galapagoense that popped a few days back, exactly 100 days after sowing.
20200103 Galap100#2.jpg

And this pod contains Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F1, one of a couple F1 JZ crosses I'll be growing out this season. The other is Tekne Dolmasi x JZ.
20200101 JZ x PJ #1.jpg

Finally, I got a solid recommendation on a new media mix I'll be trying out this season in a few variations. The mix is heavy in partially composted bark fines, a fir/hemlock mix as pine's hard to get locally. It's proving to be a veritable mycelium factory.  Bodes well for good symbiosis with the appropriate fungal species this year.
20200101 Fungi#1.jpg

20200103 Froot2.jpg

Heck, they're even fruiting out the drainage holes...  :)
20200101 Fungi#2.jpg

That's it for now.  Good luck to all in 2020!
CD

Tybo said:
Hey CD.  I was reading thru your glog to get caught up and see that you started some more seeds.  I know you said more wilds but didnt say which ones.  It'll be good to watch your new grow while waiting a few months to start my seeds.  
Too bad about now being able to cross the Rhomb and Lance yet.  Hopefully you get the chance.

I see you mentioned my galapagoense.  It has really put on some size.  I was unable to get any isolated pods from it though.  Every bud I isolated, whether by bagging or gluing ended up falling off!  

Good luck with your new wild grow.  

I actually don't know all the types I recently put down, as most were wild-collected and I didn't have much detail.  I'm excited to learn what they are, though - assuming I can get them to cooperate and sprout.  It's day 10 now, so I'm reaching the time an early one might pop, which has my anticipation growing.

Bummer you couldn't get ISO seeds from your Galapagoense.  I had that happen last season where it seemed like every flower I bagged, dropped.  My memory is your Galap was already big some time ago so if it's put on more size it must be becoming a monster.  Hope you'll post another pick of it before season end so I can see how big it got.  Do you plan to OW it or shut it down come the end of the season?

Quick shout out to CraftyFox.  I just tried your "Gurdy" chocolate habanero and I'm impressed.  It has the same smell and taste as the one I used to grow - one whiff and I could immediately identify it.  Plus it's higher-end Habanero heat and a heavy producer.  Good stuff!

I'm eating some as baked pepper slices on crackers with goat cheese, lime, and salt and they're definitely starting to light me up!

Way to pull in the pods, Doc! Nice variety and very colorful.
Good to see you taking advantage of the PNW weather  ;)

Looks good for a little more ripening weather according to
AccuWeather. Hoping that it comes to pass.

Still waiting for the Yaki Blue Fawn to show some ripening
pods. There are some gorgeous ones on the plant.

CaneDog said:
This year hasn't been my strongest for production - certainly not at the community gardens - but many of the plants at home are getting the job done. Some have really surprised me with how fast they've ripened after a late/slow start.  I've had some OK smaller harvests so far, but this is my biggest and with the most different varieties. Crossing my fingers that more of the pods hanging will ripen soon.

I could have written these exact words about my
grow, CD.

I have had the same ripening spurt which started
during the smoky days. Lots of pods very near ripe,
and a number i could pick today, but am going to
wait for a couple of sunny days as per the forecast.
Really keeping an eye on pods cracking and splitting
in the wet weather. So far not too bad. My Yellow
Scorpions used to split if it rained in your neighborhood!

Looking forward to a few decent pulls from my fave
varieties in the next couple of weeks. Here we are
harvesting in October, again!

Good luck winding down your season, my friend.
Of course, you will probably have a full-on indoor
grow this winter  :rofl: !

PaulG said:
Way to pull in the pods, Doc! Nice variety and very colorful.
Good to see you taking advantage of the PNW weather  ;)

Looks good for a little more ripening weather according to
AccuWeather. Hoping that it comes to pass.

Still waiting for the Yaki Blue Fawn to show some ripening
pods. There are some gorgeous ones on the plant.

Thanks, Paul.  It's certainly coming down the wire this season.  I'm cautiously optimistic to see sunny and 70F+ days in our forecast for next week.

Dragonsfire recently posted ripe Yaki Blues; hopefully yours will follow fast on their heels!

EDIT:  Looks like I posted at almost the same moment you did.  I don't know if the late-season hope will ever end up here.  Even if I achieve that elusive great early season, I'll probably just want more  ;)

CaneDog said:

Thanks, Paul.  It's certainly coming down the wire this season.  I'm cautiously optimistic to see sunny and 70F+ days in our forecast for next week.

Dragonsfire recently posted ripe Yaki Blues; hopefully yours will follow fast on their heels!
I saw his pic. Looks like a glazed ceramic sculpture!

I have some giant pods on the plant, but not one is
starting to color, yet. It's in a 20-gallon container, so
no moving!

I have ripe pods on my 3 "spice" peppers, Aleppo, Haskorea, and Urfa Biber.  They're smaller pods from seed plants I grew in little containers at home, but at least I'll have fresh seeds.  The bigger plants with bulk pods are at the community garden and with a little more good weather they might just make the finish line.

My plan was to make powder from each of these varieties this season so I could evaluate them side-by-side.

20200925 SpicePeppers.jpg

CaneDog said:
I have ripe pods on my 3 "spice" peppers, Aleppo, Haskorea, and Urfa Biber.  They're smaller pods from seed plants I grew in little containers at home, but at least I'll have fresh seeds.  The bigger plants with bulk pods are at the community garden and with a little more good weather they might just make the finish line.

My plan was to make powder from each of these varieties this season so I could evaluate them side-by-side.

attachicon.gif
20200925 SpicePeppers.jpg

I actually liked all 3 of those very much as culinary peppers.  They started to grow not so well for me in the later Florida summer, on account of that crushing humidity, and no shade cloth.  But when they were on, they were phenomenal.
Your Urfas look to have come in small.  Normally, those are stuffing size.  All of those, though, are just really nice flavored peppers.  I came out here last season before I got too many Haskoreas.  Probably try them again this month when I go back.

solid7 said:

I actually liked all 3 of those very much as culinary peppers.  They started to grow not so well for me in the later Florida summer, on account of that crushing humidity, and no shade cloth.  But when they were on, they were phenomenal.
Your Urfas look to have come in small.  Normally, those are stuffing size.  All of those, though, are just really nice flavored peppers.  I came out here last season before I got too many Haskoreas.  Probably try them again this month when I go back.

Yep, it'll be interesting to try them all in a sitting and see how they compare.  These pods are all definitely on the small size (they were grown mostly in Solo cups), but the plants were quick to produce and ripen.  I see bigger pods at the community garden on the full-sized plants.

So far I just know the heat ranking, which is Haskorea hottest (by a good bit), then Aleppo, then Urfa Biber.  They're just first pods though, so I'll have to see if later harvests bear out this ranking.

You've had some nice pulls there already CD, good on ya! Hopefully a few more mild weeks and then you can rake in the stocks for winter, one plant at a time! And I like your idea of trying the 3 powder plants next to each other to compare, that way you can really find their unique features.

I'm so glad to see your hard work paying off, and hopefully also the outdoor ones at the community gardens will start delivering now.

That does remind me, how about the BOC this year, any luck?

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

lespaulde said:
You've had some nice pulls there already CD, good on ya! Hopefully a few more mild weeks and then you can rake in the stocks for winter, one plant at a time! And I like your idea of trying the 3 powder plants next to each other to compare, that way you can really find their unique features.

I'm so glad to see your hard work paying off, and hopefully also the outdoor ones at the community gardens will start delivering now.

That does remind me, how about the BOC this year, any luck?

Hey LP.  It looks like the BOC may deliver this season - you definitely set me up with some winners!  Most of my chinense were late to develop given how cool the summer was, and the BOC was among those, but, like most, it's made big strides in the late season.

Here're a couple pics.  There're several smaller pods in there that are turning, so I figure it's close.  I plan to pick off the smaller pods today and let it focus its energy on the bigger ones.  If the 10-day forecast for favorable weather holds, I should still get a good harvest. 

It didn't get huge
20200926 BOCLP2.jpg

But there're still a bunch of pods in there
20200926 BOCLP.jpg

And just for grins, this BJh-M is starting to ripen as well.
20200926 BJh-M.jpg

What a treat to go through all those pages I've missed the last few months, its like catching up on a show you previously watched 1 episode a week  :P
Really impressive as always, how did those white jalapeños turn out? Or was that another thread? 

Looking forward to your review of the Urfa Biber, I have seeds for those as well. Did the Peruvian Giallo Arancio turn out good for you? I've been praising them ever since I first tasted them so I hope they was to your liking as well. 

The Wiri Wiri and Aji Guyana have been added to my neverending "future-growlist"  :P  How did you like the latter? 

CaneDog said:

Hey LP.  It looks like the BOC may deliver this season - you definitely set me up with some winners!  Most of my chinense were late to develop given how cool the summer was, and the BOC was among those, but, like most, it's made big strides in the late season.

Here're a couple pics.  There're several smaller pods in there that are turning, so I figure it's close.  I plan to pick off the smaller pods today and let it focus its energy on the bigger ones.  If the 10-day forecast for favorable weather holds, I should still get a good harvest. 

It didn't get huge
attachicon.gif
20200926 BOCLP2.jpg

But there're still a bunch of pods in there
attachicon.gif
20200926 BOCLP.jpg

And just for grins, this BJh-M is starting to ripen as well.
attachicon.gif
20200926 BJh-M.jpg
There's some really nice sized pods on there CD, awesomeness! :) And I think I can see one just starting to turn, get ready for that fruity smell and banging flavor! The shape and size looks like the parent plant for sure, so I'm counting on these being true - nice work!

Curious to hear how you like them once you get to that point - I still have a full ziploc in the freezer which I'm still deciding what to do with (powder, flakes or fermented hot sauce).

And couldn't agree more with MF, rereading your glog is always a treat for the eye, the mind and the soul :)

Mildfruit said:
What a treat to go through all those pages I've missed the last few months, its like catching up on a show you previously watched 1 episode a week  :P
Really impressive as always, how did those white jalapeños turn out? Or was that another thread? 

Looking forward to your review of the Urfa Biber, I have seeds for those as well. Did the Peruvian Giallo Arancio turn out good for you? I've been praising them ever since I first tasted them so I hope they was to your liking as well. 

The Wiri Wiri and Aji Guyana have been added to my neverending "future-growlist"  :P  How did you like the latter? 

Thanks MF.  Glad you enjoyed the binge-watch!  Also glad to hear you're finding more time again for things pepper.  The Aji Guyana was a very good experience.  Great-looking plants and pods with a good taste and modest heat.  Almost everything I grew this year I kept small, that included, but it still produced a bunch.  I plan to turn that one loose next year with a prime spot in a raised bed or the ground.  I think it would be impressive as a big bush with all those long, bright-yellow peppers.

The variegated jalapenos didn't do great for me.  I culled them back when I moved them outside and the ones I kept simply never develop much of any green foliage and never took off.  I saw some pictures of PaulG's, though, and his did great. 

The Giallo grew well, but I expect I'll have to bring it inside if I'm going to get ripe pods.  Next season it will get the same treatment as the Aji Guyana in the hopes I can grow one into a big, bushy monster.  BTW - I successfully crossed the it with PaulG's Aji Amarillo.  I've also been trying to cross it with my Tovarii and a few different types of Eximium, but so far those attempts have been no-goes.

lespaulde said:
There's some really nice sized pods on there CD, awesomeness! :) And I think I can see one just starting to turn, get ready for that fruity smell and banging flavor! The shape and size looks like the parent plant for sure, so I'm counting on these being true - nice work!

Curious to hear how you like them once you get to that point - I still have a full ziploc in the freezer which I'm still deciding what to do with (powder, flakes or fermented hot sauce).

And couldn't agree more with MF, rereading your glog is always a treat for the eye, the mind and the soul :)

[SIZE=10.5pt]So I harvested the earliest of the BOC and, while most were small, a few were legitimate pods.  I baked those today and put them on crackers with cheese and such, plus I tried some plain slices to get the true experience.  There was about a medium chinense funk and they had a good overall flavor that came through.  Hot too.  I might have gotten a little bold with them and they started to add up on me, but fortunately I had a safety beer close-by :)  I'm definitely looking forward to the bigger pods ripening - though I expect those will be even hotter!  Now that you mention it I may try to flake some, but I think you'll have a winner whichever way you go with them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I've been enjoying your glog with all the recent activity, but it seems I never have enough time to post a response when I'm there - and by the next time I visit there's even more good stuff that deserves mention.  :rolleyes:[/SIZE]   :)   Was super happy to see your purple pineapple F2 sprout.  And those cotyledons are very cool and hopefully bode well for what the foliage will be like.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks again for helping me finally get passed my BOC jinx   :cheers:[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

Looking at your BOC pods confirms that mine had to be crossed with something.  I had no idea it was crossed (never grown one before) except that the pods were very floral tasting.  I mentioned that in one of my posts and Bhuter mentioned that it looked to be crossed with maybe a scorpion.  Your pods look totally different.  
Anyway, I have given up on that plant.  I didnt like them and tried without any success to give them away so it's season was 'cut' short.  Literally. :rolleyes:

CaneDog said:

[SIZE=10.5pt]So I harvested the earliest of the BOC and, while most were small, a few were legitimate pods.  I baked those today and put them on crackers with cheese and such, plus I tried some plain slices to get the true experience.  There was about a medium chinense funk and they had a good overall flavor that came through.  Hot too.  I might have gotten a little bold with them and they started to add up on me, but fortunately I had a safety beer close-by :)  I'm definitely looking forward to the bigger pods ripening - though I expect those will be even hotter!  Now that you mention it I may try to flake some, but I think you'll have a winner whichever way you go with them.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I've been enjoying your glog with all the recent activity, but it seems I never have enough time to post a response when I'm there - and by the next time I visit there's even more good stuff that deserves mention.  :rolleyes:[/SIZE]   :)   Was super happy to see your purple pineapple F2 sprout.  And those cotyledons are very cool and hopefully bode well for what the foliage will be like.

[SIZE=10.5pt]Thanks again for helping me finally get passed my BOC jinx   :cheers:[/SIZE][SIZE=10.5pt] [/SIZE]

Haha thanks for that nice description of your sampling of the first BOCs, that was a funny read! Thank god for the safety beer, although truth be told, I'm always bit in doubt whether the sparkling drinks help, or just distract from the pain? :beer:  :drunk: I hope the fruitiness came through, and my wife said she finds they smell of blackcurrants which I agree with. Those bigger ones should really do justice and I hope you get to enjoy them; cheers indeed to getting you some BOCs, and even from the original source of Denmark!  :cheers:  :metal:

And thanks also for the kind words; indeed I've been lucky with some activity lately besides the general harvesting of pods these days. Planning to more or less empty the greenhouse of most of the peppers, and only leave the pubescens until it freezes, and start planting some kale in there to see how that goes. The purple pineapple will be an exciting winter project, and I hope I get some more seeds germinating soon as I'd like to be able to pick the nicest pheno(s) for F3. Not counting on being so lucky that the first F2 to germinate gives me purple foliage and purple pods  :pray:  

Tybo said:
Looking at your BOC pods confirms that mine had to be crossed with something.  I had no idea it was crossed (never grown one before) except that the pods were very floral tasting.  I mentioned that in one of my posts and Bhuter mentioned that it looked to be crossed with maybe a scorpion.  Your pods look totally different.  
Anyway, I have given up on that plant.  I didnt like them and tried without any success to give them away so it's season was 'cut' short.  Literally. :rolleyes:

You know, Tybo, my attempt with the BOC last year turned up crossed pods too.  The plant was vigorous and productive, though, and the pods were actually quite good.  I think I still have a ferment of them tucked away in a cupboard. 

I didn't grow out the F2 this season, but I still have seeds and I may drop a couple next season.  It's interesting to me that the F1 was orange, rather than red as is so often the case with unintentional crosses.  They also had some bleed-through on the calyx.

The pods looked like this and were a bit bigger than they may seem in the photos. 

BOC-X1.jpg

BOC-X2.jpg

BOC-X3.jpg

Back