• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog 2021

Well, here we go again.  The indoor offseason got away from me around the turn of the year, so I decided to shut things down and start clean with the new outdoor season. 

I dropped all the wilds, rocotos, baccatum, chinense and frutescens earlier this month and, excepting wilds, pretty much everything is up and growing.  One thing I did different this year was I didn't presoak seeds, except for a few wilds.  I checked the days-to-germinate for the first round varieties against how they did last year and, based on a quick look, it seems they were generally maybe a couple days slower, which is about what I'd expect.

Today, I transplanted all the baccatum (except Berry Amarillo) plus a few Moz Piri Piri (thanks Tybo!), which are sitting on top of the lights until they root in a bit and can go back below. 
20210228 T54 Tent.jpg

I'm upping my tomato game this season - or at least increasing the varieties.  Usually I just grow San Marzano and Moskvich, maybe the occasional other.  This season I'm branching out a bit more with the varieties, which include Black Krim and Opalka from Dragonsfire and a bunch from Sandia.  I figure tomatoes usually germinate easy enough, so I just stuck them in a humidome toward the back of the T5HO tent where I hope they'll be happy. 
20210228 Tomatoes.jpg

The other big task today was dropping all the annuum into the Coleman.  After this annuum round I'll have just a final 2 varieties I'm waiting for in the mail, then I'll be done starting peppers for the season.
20210228 GermAnnuun.jpg

The last bit of news is I lucked out and will have access to two 10' x 40' plots at the community garden this year, which will include the better-located one that was new to me last year.  I was concerned I'd have access to only 1 this season, which would have significantly decreased my grow.  Anyhow, I'm super happy to have all that space and I'm sure I'll find a way to make it seem like not quite enough ;)

Thanks to all who contributed seeds and otherwise to my grow this year.  I hope everyone blows the doors off it this summer!

CD

Hey.......Welcome to the glogs CD!  I was wondering when you'd show up.  
I hope the Moz Piri Piri do well for you.  Mine were 100% germination so you will have no problem with them!
Congrats on the plots at the community garden.  800 sq. ft should turn out a pretty good crop so good luck with that this season.  Looking forward to watching the glog.

Glad to see you're starting your new glog CD! You seem to be off to a good start...

I'm growing some Piri-Piri too, but it's not the same that you and Tybo are growing. Would be interesting to compare during the season.

Good luck!

Tybo said:
Hey.......Welcome to the glogs CD!  I was wondering when you'd show up.  
I hope the Moz Piri Piri do well for you.  Mine were 100% germination so you will have no problem with them!
Congrats on the plots at the community garden.  800 sq. ft should turn out a pretty good crop so good luck with that this season.  Looking forward to watching the glog.

Thanks, Tybo. They went 100% for me too, so I ended up culling the last one.  I figure with 3 of those guys plus a few of my African Devil / Zimbabwe Piri Piri too, I'll have no shortage of pods.  I also have one of your Florida Datil growing, which should be a fun one.

dragonsfire said:
The tomato selection makes my mouth water :)

I'm hoping most will grow well in the PNW climate; we can struggle with some of the varieties.  I'll be very interested to see how that Opalka does, as it will be replacing the San Marzano Lungo No. 2 that I've grown recently as my go-to sauce tomato. They definitely look like winners.

ahayastani said:
It was about time you showed up :D

Black Krim is a good tomato, you won't regret.

Yeah, no kidding. I've been feeling left out of the fun recently, especially with so many awesome grows underway.  With March 1 on Monday I figured this was the weekend I needed to pull it together.  Good to hear that about the Black Krim - it's a new one for me.  Figure it's pretty much a lock to be good now with both you and DF endorsing it. 

Glad to see you're rolling CD!

DF hooked you up with two great tomatoes. In fact, I've grown them all and every one of them tastes great. No spitters there lol.

Best of luck for a very "fruitful" season!

PaulG said:
Alright, ‘Dog is in the house!

Good luck this season, buddy!

Thanks Paul.  Hoping the PNW weather does us solid this year.

DownRiver said:
Glad to see you're rolling CD!

DF hooked you up with two great tomatoes. In fact, I've grown them all and every one of them tastes great. No spitters there lol.

Best of luck for a very "fruitful" season!

Thanks, DR.  And right back at ya.  I figure 2021 owes us a whole lot of good to make up for 2020.

Harry_Dangler said:
Looking good CD.  Nice tomato selection.  Can't go wrong with those.   

Thanks, HD.  I pieced together some ideas based on what I've heard and read, but it feels a whole lot better getting the positive feedback from people who really know tomatoes.

Not too much going on yet, but this guy's kinda interesting with three growth tips right out of the gates.  It's an F1 cross of Mildfruit's Aji Giallo Arancio x PaulG's Aji Amarillo (each of which I'm also growing separately this season).  Of three F1 sprouts, two are like this with multiple growth tips and one appears to be normal. 

20210301 AAxGiallo F1 1K750.jpg

CaneDog said:
Not too much going on yet, but this guy's kinda interesting with three growth tips right out of the gates.  It's an F1 cross of Mildfruit's Aji Giallo Arancio x PaulG's Aji Amarillo (each of which I'm also growing separately this season).  Of three F1 sprouts, two are like this with multiple growth tips and one appears to be normal. 

attachicon.gif
20210301 AAxGiallo F1 1K750.jpg
That is going to be one heck of a plant, CD!

PaulG said:
That is going to be one heck of a plant, CD!

I sure hope so.  All 3 continue to be growing strong.

Here's a quick couple update pictures.  It's been like Christmas morning the past 3 days with so many annuum and tomato varieties sprouting.  I've been more aggressive with culling than usual and took some risks in culling down to just one plant per variety in many cases.  I find it's easier for me to cull sprouts, as once the plants reach a certain size I'm more inclined to let them continue to grow.  That's led to too many plants, especially the last couple seasons.  Even with the culling and opening up additional grow areas, I expect it's going to be pretty bushy around here before long.

Couple shots of the T5 nursery tent
20210307 T56Tent 2.jpg

20210307 T56Tent 3.jpg

HeatMiser said:
Looking good CD! Seems like you are going to be pretty busy soon!

I'm looking forward to an early spring. It's been a while since we had decent weather, but things do seem to be turning the corner.
I like your thinking, HM. Really pulling for
your prediction, my PNW brother!

CaneDog said:
I like your thinking too, HM!  If there's one thing this place can do though, it's tease us with some good weather in March and April and then drift back into an early season suck.  I'm really hoping the PNW produces for us this year.  We haven't had a real banger season for a while now and it's about time for it.
Ah, the ole ESS.  I hate those.

Back