• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CaneDog - Off-Season Season 2018/19

Thought I'd post a few pics of what I have going on indoors this off-season.  I used to do a winter indoor grow about every season, but this will be my first in a couple years now.  I went a bit over-board with the number of plants, as usual, but I've culled a few already and I have expansion room if needed.

I'm using a handy little extra walk-in closet to start things out. Keeps temp well and makes it easy to chill and work with the plants.

20181008_PWalk30.jpg

Most everything's potted up into 1g Boxer Browns now.  Here's a few of this season's players.

Baha Goat
_20181119_BGoat.jpg

Fatalii
_20181119_Fatty.jpg

Bhut Jolokia White - topped it early on as it was already wanting to branch like crazy
_20181119_BJWhiteTopped.jpg

Butch T
_20181119_TScorpBT2.jpg

Kathumby starting to bud up
_20181119_Kathumby.jpg

And this guy is a 7 Pot White that sprouted late right up against another plant, so I yanked it out.  It had what seemed like only about 2mm of root still attached, but I stuck it in Kratky and it not only survived but seems fairly happy.
_20181119_7PW_KratkyTop.jpg

CD

Yes...theoretically. The growth would have to come from where the plant healed. Nearly impossible to make happen on purpose...but it happens.

Awesome graft, thanks for the great close-up views!
Will be following this for sure!

Things are starting to get hectic, as I knew they would dealing with many varieties at once indoors.  The Bahamian Goat continues to be the most cooperative indoor plant ever. After growing compact with a level canopy, it blossomed, set pods, and now seems to be shutting down on the bud production and focused on growing big (relative to its size, that is) pods.  3 good ones so far and a handful more have recently set, so I should get plenty of true seeds for the bank.

20181217%20GoatPods%20800.jpg

Doing what it needs to and keeping a small footprint.
20181217%20Goat%20800.jpg

CaneDog said:
The Bahamian Goat continues to be the most cooperative indoor plant ever. After growing compact with a level canopy, it blossomed, set pods, and now seems to be shutting down on the bud production and focused on growing big (relative to its size, that is) pods.  3 good ones so far and a handful more have recently set, so I should get plenty of true seeds for the bank.

Excellent! Those are some big, gorgeous leaves. And those should be some really cool pods; looking forward to seeing them.

I have 5 locations I can (reasonably) effectively isolate small plants, and all 5 are now in use.  The B Goat will rotate out shortly with any remaining or growing blossoms pinched. I have the current lineup set for the first group of producers, which I expect to include a Fatalii, BJ White, Scotch Brain, Scotch Bonnet Chocolate, and Tobago Scotch Bonnet Yellow.  There's another few that might get into the early rotation, but everything else got topped to save space and delay fruiting or is far enough behind to not need topping.

I'm growing Pd Neyde for the first time and it flat out grew like a stick. It's topped now and seems as though it will show a better indoor growth profile going forward.  I won't sleep on pruning this one again though.  Has great looking foliage when young! - the picture doesn't really do justice to the color contrast.

20181217%20PdN%20Topped.jpg

internationalfish said:

Excellent! Those are some big, gorgeous leaves. And those should be some really cool pods; looking forward to seeing them.

Thanks iFish, I'm just hoping this isn't "hybrid vigor."   The Goat and a good number of other plants in my current grow came from non-isolated seed.  Hopefully most will grow true anyway and I'll have my isolated seed stocks built back up with proven and predictable varieties.

So, I did a few Kratky plants this grow and have just one remaining.  It's a 7 Pot Chaguanas and the plan is to leave it in Kratky - or maybe DWC it - rather than pot it into soil.  I moved a 7 Pot White from Kratky to soil and I must have done something wrong because it went into a shock for a couple weeks and has only recently started growing well again.  Chag just got moved up from a 4oz beer sampler glass to a bigger jar.

Complete with high-end Jerry-rigged foam support.
20181217%20ChagKratky1%20600.jpg

Top view.  Plant looking pretty good as I'm getting a better handle on my solution EC/TDS, pH, etc.
20181217%20ChagKratky2%20600.jpg

Roots with room to grow.  Shout out to Dragonsfire - His GLOG showed me the Kratky water can stay algae-free despite light exposure. Mine's been clear for some time now without any cover.
20181217%20ChagKratky3%20600.jpg

+1 Jacques!

How's that B Goat doing, CD?

Thanks Karoo and Paul.

The Goat's doing great. I took the trimmers to it yesterday and left it with 10 pods set and about a half-dozen strong flowers.  All the other buds and flowers are gone.  I hope rather than trying to blossom more, it puts its energy into growing what's already set.  It did look like it was starting to shut down the bloom already before I pruned it.  I'd be perfectly happy with just a handful of good pods from this guy, true-to-type and full of healthy seeds.

CaneDog said:
Thanks Karoo and Paul.

The Goat's doing great. I took the trimmers to it yesterday and left it with 10 pods set and about a half-dozen strong flowers.  All the other buds and flowers are gone.  I hope rather than trying to blossom more, it puts its energy into growing what's already set.  It did look like it was starting to shut down the bloom already before I pruned it.  I'd be perfectly happy with just a handful of good pods from this guy, true-to-type and full of healthy seeds.
You have the indoor thing down 'Dog! 

Can't wait to see those ripe pods on the
vine!

Using the 1 gallon grow bags for this grow has been an interesting experience (I've generally used 2g - 3g bags indoors).  They do seem to help me achieve stabilized growth profiles that meet my purposes, but plant health can really turn on a dime with the demands of maturing plants in such small containers.  It's definitely requiring a high level of maintenance.

I need to stagger production, so I plan to put a good number of plants into Bonchi.  I figure that will allow me to hold them indefinitely at a manageable size.  When it's time to produce, my experience has been that Bonchi pod well under surprisingly small lights, so that should help me with isolating them to set true pods.  If some of them turn out particularly well or are varieties I want to keep inside indefinitely, I might move them into nicer containers, but this is about function first and aesthetics will have to take a back seat.  So, now, and without further ado, I introduce to you, the 15-for-$8 food storage Bonchi container.

5.5" internal L & W drilled for drainage
20181220_01.jpg

2.125" depth
20181220_02.jpg

Kathumby Black, roots trimmed and myco inoculated
20181220_03%20Kathy.jpg

PdN given the same treatment
20181220_04%20PdN.jpg

Kathy & PdN potted and leaf trimmed.  I'll trim these guys more again soon, but I think I want to grow out some of the lower laterals first then strip the low leaves to lift the canopy. Both these plants got tall with minimal lateral development, so I topped them a week or so back to force it.
20181220_05%20PdN%20&%20Kathy.jpg

* Container saucers included at no extra charge!

Brain Strain Red (NOG) and Bonda Mahala.  Both these plants grew very well and had sufficient lateral growth to work with right away, so I feel like I can see where I'm headed with them already.  The main goal remains functionality, but I wouldn't mind them looking decent too.
20181220_06%20BSRSLP%20&%20BMH.jpg

Anyhow, these are the first 4 into Bonchi.  I haven't done this in a good 4 or 5 years, so I'm hoping I didn't make any silly mistakes.  I'll try to be patient and watch how they respond before I do the next batch, but I do want to get the rest processed quickly to reduce my grow maintenance and recover some space.

Cheers.
CD

Great project, 'Dog! Bonchi do take some care and
attention, but they will grow for a number of years.  
My Fatali boinchi finally bit the dust, but one season,
it had over a dozen 'miniature' pods that looked like
big Fatalis. Looking forward to seeing how yours do.  
They should be rock solid since you started with great
material.

Back