• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Canedog Offseason Season 2022/23

Well, shoot. I don't know that I should start a new glog with as poor as I was about updating my last one, but here it goes. My offseason season started late, with most of my plants being probably four to six weeks old now. I'll start by posting a few of the newer ones.

This guy is an Oxkutzcab/Oxkutzcabian Orange Habanero. I have three of these growing and a couple Caribbean Red Habanero that are smaller. The Oxkutzcab seem to be out-pacing the reds, but they've also been around a little longer. In this pic I particularly like the transition in the stem at the cotyledons.
20221109 Oxkutzcab.jpg

@HeatMiser sent me some of his wild texas tepin seeds - what, a couple years ago now? - and I've been trying to grow the variety to production ever since. The seeds were collected off a wild-growing bush in 2014 and still sprout just fine. I have three of the plants growing that I've overwintered, but it's been a very long-season variety for me here in the pnw and between that and the impact of an aphid infestation last winter I haven't yet gotten any of them to ripe pods. I started this new one with the idea of getting it well-established inside and hopefully it will be mature enough to produce by next season. I may just keep it inside until it does.
20221109 TX Tepin 2014.jpg

Aji Guyana. I've grow this variety for a couple seasons now after Wiri Wiri shared seeds with me. I always end up topping it, so I got that out of the way early this time. I'm hoping once will be enough, but if it gets unruly it may end up seeing the scissors again. Great production out of these and pretty early for a baccatum.
20221109 Guyana.jpg

This is a second generation (with me) ollantaytambo amarillo rocoto. I was hoping the parent's pods would be more pale that they were, but it produced great-looking yellow pods this summer, which I thought had great flavor. I'm curious whether this next generation's pods will be unchanged, plus it's likely getting crossed with one or two other rocotos I have growing now that are close to the same age.
20221109 OllyWhite.jpg

Uvalde Pequin, from @CraftyFox - thanks man! It looked a little rough when it first came up, but it's looking much stronger now.
20221109 Uvalde.jpg

I'm working with several mexican culinary varieties, growing given varieties from multiple sources and in different variations to find out what I like best. Pasilla Oaxaca, Pasilla Negro Bahia, and Guajillo are among them. These guys are the most recent sprouts. The others have been growing a while and are more established.

Guajillo
20221106 Guajillo.jpg

Pasilla Oaxaca
20221109 PasillaOaxaca.jpg

Pasilla Negro Bahia
20221109 PasillaBahia.jpg

I'll close with this guy. I thought I'd run out of the orange arequipa rocoto seeds I'd acquired a couple years back, but I found one scraggly seed in the corner of a seed baggie and that scraggly seed has turned into this scraggly young plant. When it germinated I thought the roots might not be strong enough for it to survive, but I've tried to water it just right and it keeps getting stronger day-by-day. If it keeps improving like it has it might make a good match for the ollantaytambo amarillo rocoto.
20221109 OrgArequipa.jpg

Plants/pods are looking good CD. It's nice to see a tomato plant that doesn't appear to suffer from blight. Unavoidable in my neck of the woods.
Tomatoes look great here in the early season, though any blight we lack in the early season we're sure to make up for at the season end!
nice toms CD
:)
Wow, great success in the Seattle. Area, CD!
I’m glad your grow is so successful this season.
How are you holding up in the heat?
Thanks, Paul It's been a very nice summer so far and will reach only the lower 90's today (33-34c) at my location, toward the cascade foothills from Seattle.

Nothing like the 107F :shocked: I see in the Portland area forecast for today.

I took a few quick pics when I was out watering at the community garden plots the other morning.

Some Corbaci are ripening
20230827 Corbaci.jpg

Not sure what these poblano x scarlett's I got from Tybo look like ripe. This plant is off-pheno with non-variegated foliage, but the pods sure are dark!
20230826 PoblanoXScarletts.jpg

The Chile de Arbol are starting to ripen. I'll have a lot of CdA this season with multiple plants in 4 different varieties.
These are Sandia's version.
20230826 ChileDeArbol.jpg

This is one of the Er Jing Tiao I grew inside last winter and transplanted out.
20230827 ErJingTiao.jpg

Mr. Spezzano's Thai
20230827 ThaiSpaz.jpg

Turkish Cayenne. Not as hot as some other cayennes, but very good flavor.
20230827 TurkishCayenne.jpg

I have a few hungarian hot wax pepper plants like this and also a couple plants of sweet banana peppers.
I haven't grown either in a very long time and these are destined for pickle jars.
20230827 HotWax.jpg

Round II...

It hasn't been a great year for serranos in my garden. I'm growing hidalgo, tampiqueno, and huasteca serrano, as well as sinahuisa, which is either a serrano or very similar. All the plants stalled after transplant for a good while with only sporadic pod set and ripening. They've been doing better recently, though.

Huasteca Serrano with a handful of ripe pods.
20230827 HuastecaSerrano.jpg

Tampiqueno Serrano is getting there.
20230827 SerranoTampiqueno.jpg

These are RFC's Chile de Arbol "Baha." The pods are much beefier than the Sandia pods. It'll be interesting to compare the 4 de Arbols in terms of flavor, growth, and production.
20230827 deArbolBaha.jpg

I didn't get good production from my Guntur Sannam last season, but they're doing better this year.
20230827 GunturSannam.jpg

This is one of a couple pasilla apaseo I grew indoors this winter and transplanted outside. They're strong plants with great pods. I haven't tried them dried yet - only fresh when i was harvesting seeds - but if the flavor is there these guys are definitely winners.
20230827 PasillaApaseo.jpg

Indian PC-1 Frutescens.
20230827 PC-1Frutescens.jpg

And lastly, a big lesya pod. I've had only one ripe pod so far and it was super sweet. So much so I'm going to be careful to pick these as soon as they turn red to prevent them from being too sweet. Cool shape. Dense, heavy pods. I wonder how a hybrid of these and tekne dolmasi or antep aci dolma would turn out. 🤔
20230827 Lesya.jpg

Last edited:
@CaneDog Things be lookin good CD. It's funny, as I started looking through these last few posts, I was thinking "I grew that one a long time ago", like 10 years or more. Then I read you hadn't grown some of them in a long time either, lol. I like the nostalgia of it. Maybe I'll try and germinate some of the old favorites of yesteryear, ha. How about Bulgarian Carrot? There's a blast from the past.

Last edited:
@CaneDog Things be lookin good CD. It's funny, as I started looking through these last few posts, I was thinking "I grew that one a long time ago", like 10 years or more. Then I read you hadn't grown some of them in a long time either, lol. I like the nostalgia of it. Maybe I'll try and germinate some of the old favorites of yesteryear, ha. How about Bulgarian Carrot? There's a blast from the past.
Thanks, DR. I went all-in on the annuum this season and that had me looking at older varieties that had sat out of the rotation for a while as cool new things took up the roster spots. Bulgarian Carrot is definitely a missed opportunity, as it would have been a good spicy addition to the hot wax and banana for pickling. Might have to put it on the list for next season.

Your grow is looking awesome, CD!
Firing on all cylinders. I hope your Seattle
weather is holding for you.

I've been chasing those upward growing De Arbol for awhile but always end up with the standard variety. Maybe I'll order from Sandia and test my luck. I haven't seen good PC1 in forever! The last ones I grew out ended up with more of a pequin size/look.

Yeah, it's interesting because Taviche pods in pictures I've seen are as you describe. These seem to match the dried pods the seeds came from suggesting stability, but maybe not the expected type.

Or climate... If the pods came from CF, the source should be OK.
I've been browsing youtube for tabiche and have indeed spotted some individuals that are longer and narrower compared with the "traditional" phenotype. It seems I'll be going to Oaxaca in a month or so, I'll check the market 😊

Or climate... If the pods came from CF, the source should be OK.
I've been browsing youtube for tabiche and have indeed spotted some individuals that are longer and narrower compared with the "traditional" phenotype. It seems I'll be going to Oaxaca in a month or so, I'll check the market 😊
Yep. CF hooked me up with pods of those and also the Tuxta - which is showing some interesting immature pod coloration.

Definitely don't miss out on checking the market in Oaxaca! :)

Chile Tuxta
20230909 Tuxta.jpg

Last edited:
Antep Aci Dolma looking nice and chunky!

I wish I’d grown them again this year. Need to make space for some next year along with some bigger sweets.
They did alright :) I was concerned as they started out rather small, but they kept growing and got to a decent size. I have two nice fat ripe ones at home now that I'll be trying in a day or so. I hope the flavor is on with this batch.

Side note. I ran a cross of AAD x Tekne Dolmaci and have two F1's growing inside now. I'm hoping that's a good one. I haven't done much crossing lately, but it's been great fun following your projects.

Here's a fun shot of one of my indoor Solo-cup plants. This is a Scarlett's Chili x Poblano, unknown filial generation; the best looking phenotype of 3 indoor and 1 outdoor plants I have currently growing. Seeds were from @Tybo (thanks, Tybo) - do you know which "F" generation this is? The cross was created by PollenNut. There're a couple pods in there that have set and are deep purple in color, but they're pretty small currently so I'll wait 'till later to get some better pod shots.

Scarlett's Chili x Poblano (F?)
20230913 - Scarletts-X-Poblano.jpg

Last edited:
Back