• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Canedog Offseason Season 2022/23

Well, shoot. I don't know that I should start a new glog with as poor as I was about updating my last one, but here it goes. My offseason season started late, with most of my plants being probably four to six weeks old now. I'll start by posting a few of the newer ones.

This guy is an Oxkutzcab/Oxkutzcabian Orange Habanero. I have three of these growing and a couple Caribbean Red Habanero that are smaller. The Oxkutzcab seem to be out-pacing the reds, but they've also been around a little longer. In this pic I particularly like the transition in the stem at the cotyledons.
20221109 Oxkutzcab.jpg

@HeatMiser sent me some of his wild texas tepin seeds - what, a couple years ago now? - and I've been trying to grow the variety to production ever since. The seeds were collected off a wild-growing bush in 2014 and still sprout just fine. I have three of the plants growing that I've overwintered, but it's been a very long-season variety for me here in the pnw and between that and the impact of an aphid infestation last winter I haven't yet gotten any of them to ripe pods. I started this new one with the idea of getting it well-established inside and hopefully it will be mature enough to produce by next season. I may just keep it inside until it does.
20221109 TX Tepin 2014.jpg

Aji Guyana. I've grow this variety for a couple seasons now after Wiri Wiri shared seeds with me. I always end up topping it, so I got that out of the way early this time. I'm hoping once will be enough, but if it gets unruly it may end up seeing the scissors again. Great production out of these and pretty early for a baccatum.
20221109 Guyana.jpg

This is a second generation (with me) ollantaytambo amarillo rocoto. I was hoping the parent's pods would be more pale that they were, but it produced great-looking yellow pods this summer, which I thought had great flavor. I'm curious whether this next generation's pods will be unchanged, plus it's likely getting crossed with one or two other rocotos I have growing now that are close to the same age.
20221109 OllyWhite.jpg

Uvalde Pequin, from @CraftyFox - thanks man! It looked a little rough when it first came up, but it's looking much stronger now.
20221109 Uvalde.jpg

I'm working with several mexican culinary varieties, growing given varieties from multiple sources and in different variations to find out what I like best. Pasilla Oaxaca, Pasilla Negro Bahia, and Guajillo are among them. These guys are the most recent sprouts. The others have been growing a while and are more established.

Guajillo
20221106 Guajillo.jpg

Pasilla Oaxaca
20221109 PasillaOaxaca.jpg

Pasilla Negro Bahia
20221109 PasillaBahia.jpg

I'll close with this guy. I thought I'd run out of the orange arequipa rocoto seeds I'd acquired a couple years back, but I found one scraggly seed in the corner of a seed baggie and that scraggly seed has turned into this scraggly young plant. When it germinated I thought the roots might not be strong enough for it to survive, but I've tried to water it just right and it keeps getting stronger day-by-day. If it keeps improving like it has it might make a good match for the ollantaytambo amarillo rocoto.
20221109 OrgArequipa.jpg

The Antep Aci Dolma P2 pod from post 103 had really good flavor and produced an abundance of healthy-looking seeds, so I decided to plant a few and 5 days later had a handful of sprouts! Even though this phenotype doesn't have the impressive pleating of the desired one, it may turn out to be solid in its own right.
20230311 AAD P2.jpg

In other news, I'm happy to see the culantro seeds I planted have started to sprout. I first noticed yesterday - these guys are seriously tiny! - and snapped a few pics today.
20230317 CulantroM.jpg

20230317 Culantro.jpg

20230317 Culantro2.jpg

I'll lead off with a rocoto update and I have pics of a few others, too. The rocotos are much happier since being moved to a big south-facing window where it's cooler. They get a few hours of HLG 100 LED each morning then daylight for the remainder of the day.

Ollantaytambo Amarillo
20230323 - OllantaytamboAmarillo.jpg

Puno Amarillo
20230323 PunoAmarillo.jpg

Orange Arequipa
20230323 Orange Arequipa.jpg

Puno Blanco
20230323 PunoBlanco.jpg

Chocolate Habanero "Gurdy" - Lot's of flowers hidden under the foliage, but I haven't seen yet that any pods have set.
20230323 ChocHabGurdy.jpg

Bahamian Goat - Also lots of flowers under the foliage and unfortunately, also no apparent pod sets yet.
20230323 BahaGoat.jpg

Jalapeno Zapotec has 4/5 pods red ripe, now. I'll harvest the pods for true seeds - and maybe nachos ;) - then prune and pot-up in contemplation of plant-out in May.
20230323 JalapenoZap.jpg

Brazilian Starfish Orange has a couple ripe ones.
20230323 BStarOrange.jpg

Last is Aji Guyana. This guy's a great little bush. It didn't like the hot/humid conditions of the grow room early on - as reflected in the twisted condition of the foliage - but that never stopped it from developing well and setting pods just fine. I've never had any issues growing Aji Guyana and it produces ripe pods rather quickly; certainly by comparison to many other baccatum. Good flavor, too!
20230323 AjiGuyana.jpg

Aji Guyana pod view
20230323 GuyanaPod.jpg

All your plants look real nice. The Zapotecs look a little small. Is that how they grow or is that because it's in a cup?
Thanks, GS! The Zapotecs tend to be toward the smaller side for jalapenos, but these are a little smaller still due to the solo cup conditions. They do quite well in the flavor department though and can get a decent zip to them. :)

Looking good CD!
How's the Tepin doing? I sowed some seeds in dirt in mid Jan, but they haven't germinated yet. I started another batch in rockwool a couple of weeks ago in hopes I will be getting at least one plant to grow indoors during the year. We'll see how that goes.

How much do you prune your plants after harvesting the pods? That is something I've never been able to do since there are always flowers all over the plant and I don't want to waste potential peppers! :rofl:

BTW - I got those 5.5 inch square pots and they are hefty! I think they are a great size to just try some plants out and still produce a decent-ish amount of pods.... thanks for the tip!

Looking good CD!
How's the Tepin doing? I sowed some seeds in dirt in mid Jan, but they haven't germinated yet. I started another batch in rockwool a couple of weeks ago in hopes I will be getting at least one plant to grow indoors during the year. We'll see how that goes.

How much do you prune your plants after harvesting the pods? That is something I've never been able to do since there are always flowers all over the plant and I don't want to waste potential peppers! :rofl:

The tx-tepin is doing great. It suffered a little defoliation from spending too long under the T5's in the grow room, but I have it on the south-window table now and it's happy there. No sign it wants to flower anytime soon, but this variety's been late season for me so far so no big surprise. I'm planning to keep this one inside as long as it takes.

Wow. Since mid January is quite the wait. You'd sure expect your seeds to have popped, but you never know with these types. Hope they come through for you soon and you can get one going.

For pruning the annuum now, as small as they are, pretty much all of them are getting sticked. They'll be okay with that and it'll make them easier to work with. Bigger plants I'd likely go above the fork. I hear ya about pruning off all that potential, but at least with these little guys there's not much potential showing to feel bad about right now :)

Man, we could sure use some good weather this season. There've been some awesome spring-like days recently, but I know the PNW well enough to know it's always got that suck card in its back pocket.

Wild TX Tepin - OG 2014 HM seeds. At 6 months.
20230323 TXTepin-HM.jpg

Uvalde Pequin. My only other actively growing wild. At 5 months.
20230323 UValdeH-CF.jpg

Healthy looking plants! Nothing to complain about :thumbsup:

Last is Aji Guyana. This guy's a great little bush. It didn't like the hot/humid conditions of the grow room early on - as reflected in the twisted condition of the foliage - but that never stopped it from developing well and setting pods just fine. I've never had any issues growing Aji Guyana and it produces ripe pods rather quickly; certainly by comparison to many other baccatum. Good flavor, too!
20230323 AjiGuyana.jpg

Aji Guyana pod view
20230323 GuyanaPod.jpg
I totally agree with the Aji Guyana. Had it last year for the first time and it is on the list again this season :)

I like seeing the difference in growth, from the bushy Aji Guyana to the more 'stalky' wilds.
It's cool to see the differences in growth habits among varieties. Many may simply look like generic chinense or annuum, etc., until the pods show up, but others can be sufficiently unique that the early structure alone is enough to clue one in as to the identity. I don't think we'll be running out of new varieties to pique our interest any time soon :)

It was a busy pepper weekend at the dog house. I transplanted 65 sprouts from jiffy pellets to Solo cups (yes, blue Solo cups), which seems like it shouldn't take all that long, but always seems to. Finding a space for everyone is a bit tough right now working with only 3 tables, but I'd really like to avoid setting up a fourth.

I found this odd sprout, a pasilla mixe. It didn't make the first team, but I'll keep it going in a poly-port cup for now and perhaps it will become an odd plant.
20230326 PMixe.jpg

And here's a couple canopy shots from the south window table:
Mostly Mari Wiri
20230326 MariWiri.jpg

Mostly Oxkutzcab/Oxkutzcabian with a little Chile Rayado p-bombing on the right side. The Rayado has set a few pods already, but I can't see any in the picture.
20230326 Ox&Ray.jpg

Look at them, all in formation. You trained them well.

I see you have half of the cups on the second pic elevated. Do they need more light than the other half?
Sometimes they're well-behaved; other times not so much. :)

The ones on the box have already had a little time to settle in after being transplanted. The ones that aren't, haven't. By tomorrow I'll be comfortable giving the more recent transplants full intensity light as well, so I'll be looking to remove the box and lower the lights, accordingly.

The problem is those several plants in the corner. They're too tall for me to lower the lights and I don't really have room left on the south-window table or window sill. Their pods have started to ripen though, so if I can just buy a little time my challenge will be solved.

Back