Canuck Chilly Head

Welcome and hello from Germany! Enjoy your stay!

Good luck with your plants!!!!

smilie_ga_005.gif

Because this is my first shot at growing indoors (always relied on buying plants for the outdoors) my selection is limited.
I've got some peppers that I brought with me from a recent cruise in the carribean, some Orange Hab's (Big Sun) that I bought seeds for and I also ordereed some Bhut Jolokia's from eBay. Based on what I've read I hope they are the real thing...

POTAWIE said:
Strange that they'd have an African scotch bonnet(or possibly hab?) in the carribean.
You have African, Caribbean, Asian and many other chiles... you live in Canada. ;)

:rolleyes: I'm a hobby grower not an industry!
Why would they have African Scotch Bonnets when they are having trouble enough keeping Scotch bonnets "true" in Jamaica

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave2/bonnet.asp

"Other Caribbean islands have tried to cash in on this demand by exporting the peppers, but importers in the USA who know the product say the quality is inferior to the true Jamaican Scotch bonnet"

"The Jamaican government is currently working with agronomists at the Scientific Research Council and the Ministry of Agriculture to save the Scotch pepper which is under threat from the use of inferior seeds, the use of the name Jamaican Scotch bonnet to describe peppers that are not real Scotch bonnet, inferior quality products and inability to meet demand. In addition, the fumigation that is required for entry into the United States results in quicker spoilage"

"The Scotch bonnet's history has been traced to Central and South America; however, there is no concrete proof as to where the chile pepper was first cultivated. Although frequently confused with the habanero, the Scotch bonnet or Jamaican Hot is definitely not the same as its stout cousin. So how do you know a Scotch bonnet pepper? The mature pepper measures between 1 1/2 and 2 inches in diameter. The color of the immature pepper is green, but the mature Scotch bonnet has an attractive range of colors: bright yellow, orange or red. One of the defining features of this type of pepper is its sweet aroma and unique flavor. In fact, the Scotch bonnet was the first Caribbean hot pepper to be known by a specific name in the export market.

It's the human nature to trade. the origin should not limit the availability and selling a "bonnet" will make 'em some big $$$.

Your either missing my point or I'm missing yours Omri because I see less $$ and more change of threatening the industry. I can see a small grower trying different seeds as all of us do but I can't see why farmers would grow an unnative scotch bonnet and a poor grade too, according to their grading sytem.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/dave2/bonnet.asp

Scotch bonnet graded according to quality of the product. Grade A (or Grade 1) is better than Grade B (or Grade 2). A Grade A Scotch bonnet is expected to:

--have a cup and saucer shape or look like a Scottish man's bonnet (tam)
--have four or five lobes
--be 1.5 inches wide
--have a stalk no longer than 1 1/4 inches long
--be without blemishes on the skin
--be free of chemical residue

The fact it's hard to find a pure bonnet tells you that by one or more aspects it's cheaper to grow "other" bonnets. could be availability of seeds, or whatever...
They grow impure or a totally different chile called a bonnet and sell them as plain "bonnets".
It's also possible that the bonnets are not native to this specific place.

Its not hard to find a pure bonnet, just hard to find enough grade A Jamaican bonnets to meet demand. Personally I'm glad the government is stepping in to help this threatened industry.
I think unless the Bigsun seeds were bought from a small informative grower then it's likely not really a Bigsun just a large "bonnet type".

POTAWIE said:
I think unless the Bigsun seeds were bought from a small informative grower then it's likely not really a Bigsun just a large "bonnet type".

Ironically, the seeds that I received came in an professional package that was originaly produced in France. :rolleyes:

I too thought that the purest "Scotch Bonnet" fruit would actually look like a "bonnet" - but these say "Big Sun Orange Hab" on the package.

Back