• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2013 Less is more

Hello everybody!
This year I will be growing much less than previous season's. I have been reducing my pepper growing for a couple years now. I am germinating under 20 varieties and a month later than last year. I have between 25 and 28 overwintered plants that are out currently, but not to far from the back door. I think I put the first plants in the ground last year late Feb. and early Mar. I do not expect to exceed 50 to 75 new starts this season. Along with my daughter I am growing some veggies, herbs, flowers, and a few fruit trees. I will do my best to keep the grow log lively and entertaining. As always lots of pictures of plants and pods, but also some cool nature, and a few extra distractions from time to time.

Hope everyone has a great season!

Germinating:

All from saved seeds except store pods and Mini Mini from Finland THP member

Cumari do Para iso
Yellow 7 pod (Brain like)
Douglah cross F2 (small red uniform)
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White
7 Pot Barrackpore
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Douglah cross F2 (red)
Quintisho
Douglah cross F3 (Brownish- maroon with bonnett-habish shape)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion iso
"Funky" orange habs from HEB
Manzano from Fiesta pods
Super Chilli
Trinidad Congo Red
Purple Flash
Smiter Q pequin like pods
Mini Mini

I will list my overwinters soon, can''t remember.

Here are some pics;
Germinating began Feb. 3rd. The three cells in the corner were all up on day 6. Douglah cross F2 small fat red pointy. I might post a pic from last year to show their shape. All my crosses are accidental nature.
IMG_0813-Copy_zpsd22c186d.jpg

Meyer Lemon bloom smells a lot like Jasmin
IMG_0810-Copy_zpsa5a1bae8.jpg

Coming out of hibernation, overwinters
IMG_0786_zpsa1c8e3dc.jpg

Found this guy in a Mountain Laurel by my driveway. Western Screech Owl I believe
02761fe0-3bfe-483a-9a65-57bc2922b900_zpsfb18433f.jpg

Owl be back!

Killer pix, as always, Mike! It's great to see you back!

I'm glad you're growing Brian's Pequins....They didn't make the cut for me this year...

Got any special plans for Manzano? I'm interested to watch its progress. This year is my first try at C. pubescens: Cabe Gendot, from the volcanic western highlands of Java, where, according to indoChilli, it is cool and cloudy much of the time...I will keep mine in large containers so I can overwinter...

Gary

Thanks guy's!

Brian, I wish I had wall space so I could stack them like that. I had another 20 on my back porch where cats sleep. Allway's seem to lose a couple to urine box alternative. My best 3 year Butch T and a 3 year Chocolate Bhut were unfortunate casulties this time.

Gary, I almost didn't try them again (Brian's pequin) but I remember you saying that some of yours grew true. I collected seeds from a few different pods at the time so I might get lucky and get one. I've grown the Manzano's in the past with some luck and definately some not. It's just to hot here. They start out well in the full sun, but I have to move them by early July. I'm not sure if I can even get these store bought pods to germinate. I love the hot juicey flavor of these. I've got a few old skate pics I will fit in here too.

Jaime, I look forward to cooking up some more concoction's this season. I'll try to keep it enterntaining as well. Hope you have a great season too!

Late 70's. I still had cloth knee pads here and suffering from tube sock creep. This was a field behind a construction company in Joplin.
IMG_0816_zps4e988ebb.jpg

My friend Steve always looked better. He liked to fakie these pipes which I couldn't do very long.
IMG_0817_zps996cf511.jpg

Mid 80's. Joplin south main post office. One of my favorite banks to hang out at after getting of work at midnight.
b79cc945-ea8e-4657-a51c-0ba47b9c2e22_zps967676f7.jpg

I love the pipe pix! I think it's easier to fakie than kickturn...Anyway, those pipes are hard to skate...My reflexes were too slow to skate without flat!

The post office banks look mighty sweet, boneless daddy!

Thanks for the skate pix!

Gary, I almost didn't try them again (Brian's pequin) but I remember you saying that some of yours grew true. I collected seeds from a few different pods at the time so I might get lucky and get one. I've grown the Manzano's in the past with some luck and definately some not. It's just to hot here. They start out well in the full sun, but I have to move them by early July. I'm not sure if I can even get these store bought pods to germinate. I love the hot juicey flavor of these. I've got a few old skate pics I will fit in here too.

Out of the 6 plants that grew from Brian's seeds, one of them produced the nice Chile Pequins. I probably should re-sow it it every year, to try to stabilize it...I had planned to do that this year, but at the last minute decided to grow Chiltepin instead....I overwintered the one good Pequin plant, however, so we will have those spicy pods...I'll pot it up to something nice and big, like a whisky barrel, as soon as it turns warm.

Does the Manzano plant get big, despite the hot weather? My Aji Amarillo plants will get quite large, up to 5 or 6 feet tall, with huge, dark green leaves, but continue to drop blossoms until early October. At that point there are only about 6 weeks or so until the first freeze, at which point they will be loaded down with massive green pods, the size of large Anaheims...They don't taste bad green, but they are infinitely better ripe. The best luck I've had getting ripe Aji Amarillo pods is to over winter the full size plants so that they get a nice running start during the much longer stretch of temperate weather between the last frost, in March, and the beginning of the really hot weather, in early July...12 or 14 weeks at the beginning of the season, as opposed to the 6 or 8 weeks at the end of the season.

Looking forward to following along again this season! No PE shorts with those tubes?

I've got some 80s pix of me skating in PE shorts, and some in the Daisy Dukes, like Mike is sporting...A different time for sure!

Thanks Pia! I hope to see a big stack pile of them in your garage this winter!

High school PE... There's something I'm happy not to think about to much Prodigal! Thanks for watching!

Gary, a few years back I had some big furry plants. Thats always a good thing! I overwintered them in very large pots hoping for huge production next season. They did not last long at all. I have heard that they grow very tall and big in the Andes mountains. Very cool temps there. I grew some Aji Amarillo last year. I read a lot of people stranded with green pods come winter. I've got an overwinter of one that I hope to see more from this season. Pic below of a pod that I just picked in early Feb.

I am sure I can find a few more skate pics for later. Cut-offs were definately the rule back then. I cringe now at how short those were! I think me and a friend went to that 85 Little Rock contest not knowing it had been canceled or postponed. A long way to drive for no contest and speeding ticket on the way home. We didn't have the latest Thrasher info I guess.
Aji Amarillo pod. Nice tall plant, just slow
IMG_0783_zps8768cd58.jpg

Later everybody, have a great day!

Love the look of the OW’s stacked up, da owl - imagine if that was in a pepper bush, classic, and that pic of the Aji Amarillo pod is down right smexy mon! Keep on dat path to a fantastic 2013 grow … Oh almost forgot, love the tube skating pics, we did the same while they were building the nuke plant in Jensen Beach, FL, also skated numerous ditches at lot at Hypoluxo road Lake Worth, & pools … dem days gone, authorities shut them all down :/

Overwinter list:
Trinidad Moruga Blend
Cheiro Do Norte
Lemon Drop
CGN 22207 Chocolate Hab
Douglah Cross F1
Douglah Cross F1 Yellow (unstable variant of above cross)
Douglah Cross F1 Red
Aji Lima Roja
Yellow 7 Pod
7 Pot Barrackpore
Costeno Amarillo
Zapotec Jalapeno
Douglah
Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate
Inca Red Drop
Aji Amarillo
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Trinidad Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White

Probable casulties:
Trinidad Scorpion Butch T
Quintisho
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia

Volunteer overwinters: Don't think it got below mid 20's.
Tepin (of course)
Chaco
7 Pot Primo
Dorset Naga
PI 360727
Purple Flash
Murupi Amarela
Maybe a Butch T?
Also: Strawberry's

Fruit:
Papaya
Meyer Lemon
Goji Berries

Tinidad Yellow Scorpion CARDI
IMG_0817-Copy_zpsf3dd6df5.jpg

Aji Amarillo
IMG_0819_zps38566028.jpg

Zapotec Jalapeno
IMG_0823_zps9438f0cf.jpg

For any old school skaters here; 77 or 78 Fakie on my first ramp I built
IMG_0836_zpsf3fa5270.jpg

Same year and ramp. Why I put plexiglass at the top I don't know! Like seaworld dolphin viewing gallery or something. Not sure why I didn't make it skinnier and taller! These were polaroid pics too.
IMG_0837_zps0cd23a79.jpg

IMG_0835_zps80901fdd.jpg

Thanks Charles and Gary!

Today my family was in town (Austin) for a while so I had planned on cooking out some fish (Tilapia)and chicken. My triglycerides are high so I am medicated as such and have been yearning for some fish. The chicken was for fajita's for the family when they got home. I made a marinade at lunchtime and grilled when I got off work. It is the most awesome fish I have ever had! When my wife got home she informed me she had a migraine and went to lay down. Bummer all around!

The marinade and baste, uses the hot Meyer Lemon marmalade I made last year. Yummm! Please ignore the sugar for my triglycerides! Been looking at sugarless recipe's of late.

I also found this amazingly sweet pepper at HEB, marketed as "Sweet Twister". Has anyone seen it before? Pics to follow.
IMG_0854_zps952ee1f9.jpg

"Sweet Twister" sold in three pack, "Product of Mexico" No dissapointment here, seeds germinating! I had not seen this orange color before. Usually they are a funky light bright green and sold in bulk (Banana's).
IMG_0851_zps64b0ca85.jpg

As I finish this my wife is up and sampling the fajita's and the fish!

Later Mike

Cool, plant, food and wheel shots.
The OW's look healthy............I like to see cars in the backgrounds of the photos..........they really date the scene !

March update; Seedling progress, and more over winters in raised beds.
Lighting is strange in these two flash only pics of some seedlings.
IMG_0867_zpsbd403123.jpg

IMG_0866_zpsbb578b88.jpg

This is an above ground bed straw lined that is 4 x 4 and 1.5 feet deep. Trying a potato in this. Oxidized chicken samples the spicey globe basil.
IMG_0861_zpsd15d24a5.jpg

Two raised beds complete. Overwinter Costeno Amarillo, Zapatec Jalopeno, Aji Amarillo, Inca Red Drop 2x in one and the other 7 Pot Barrackpore, Lemon Drops 2x, Douglah cross Red 2x. Also 2x Armenian Cucumber
IMG_0862_zpsd1eab8a7.jpg

One of my best producers last year now in it's 3rd year, 7 Pot Barrackpore
IMG_0857_zps293bff55.jpg

Wow, three-year-old Barrackpore! Do you just leave it in the ground? I only grew one of these this year, I hope it grows true. I have a Sonoran Chiltepin x Barrackpore right next to me in a 1-gallon pot as I type... the genes live on...

Back