• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Capsidadburn 2013 Less is more

Hello everybody!
This year I will be growing much less than previous season's. I have been reducing my pepper growing for a couple years now. I am germinating under 20 varieties and a month later than last year. I have between 25 and 28 overwintered plants that are out currently, but not to far from the back door. I think I put the first plants in the ground last year late Feb. and early Mar. I do not expect to exceed 50 to 75 new starts this season. Along with my daughter I am growing some veggies, herbs, flowers, and a few fruit trees. I will do my best to keep the grow log lively and entertaining. As always lots of pictures of plants and pods, but also some cool nature, and a few extra distractions from time to time.

Hope everyone has a great season!

Germinating:

All from saved seeds except store pods and Mini Mini from Finland THP member

Cumari do Para iso
Yellow 7 pod (Brain like)
Douglah cross F2 (small red uniform)
Chocolate Hab
Yellow Scorpion CARDI
7 Pot White
7 Pot Barrackpore
Chocolate Bhut Jolokia
Douglah cross F2 (red)
Quintisho
Douglah cross F3 (Brownish- maroon with bonnett-habish shape)
Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion iso
"Funky" orange habs from HEB
Manzano from Fiesta pods
Super Chilli
Trinidad Congo Red
Purple Flash
Smiter Q pequin like pods
Mini Mini

I will list my overwinters soon, can''t remember.

Here are some pics;
Germinating began Feb. 3rd. The three cells in the corner were all up on day 6. Douglah cross F2 small fat red pointy. I might post a pic from last year to show their shape. All my crosses are accidental nature.
IMG_0813-Copy_zpsd22c186d.jpg

Meyer Lemon bloom smells a lot like Jasmin
IMG_0810-Copy_zpsa5a1bae8.jpg

Coming out of hibernation, overwinters
IMG_0786_zpsa1c8e3dc.jpg

Found this guy in a Mountain Laurel by my driveway. Western Screech Owl I believe
02761fe0-3bfe-483a-9a65-57bc2922b900_zpsfb18433f.jpg

Owl be back!

Charles, occaisionally some that I leave out do survive, both in pots and the beds. This year I had a 7 pot primo make it through in the raised bed near the fence. It did not do well for me last year though so I will dig it up and put it in a pot to give the bed space to someone new.

The cross you mentioned sounds really crazy, is it a new cross for this year or have you seen the pods it produced before. Curious?

Later, and thanks for stopping by!
Mike

I made the cross last season and used up all the seeds trying to get it to germinate... only one sprouted, it is looking awesome...

Here's a crappy picture, but you can see the leaf shape and a flower!

IMG_20130312_222624_zps53898eba.jpg

I'll be spreading the F2 love when the time comes... that is if I don't do something stupid and lose the plant from now until then... it is already looking precariously poised in this pic isn't it :rolleyes:

Looking good mike! Plants look healthy and also love the stacked overwinter idea. I see you have Zapotec jalapeno overwintered. That is my nunber one fave jalapeƱo. Amazing flavors in that one. Cant wait to harvest this year.

Charles, That plant pic looks very interesting! I look forward to the F2 love.

PJ, Glad to hear from you, and thanks! I know it's a little silly to overwinter an annuum but sometimes it's hard to resist. I loved the flavor too.

Mike

Got some new seeds in the mail today! Don't really have room for these other than large pots. A couple of skate pics too.
IMG_0870_zpsba560f74.jpg

IMG_0871_zps84af2e97.jpg

Frontside 180 Varial Boneless at the airport ditch in Joplin, Mo 1986 Dogtown Suicidal board Independants and ? wheels
IMG_0833_zpsa33a2cda.jpg

My friend Steve carving a ditch in the late 70's. Bert Lamar board
IMG_0832_zps33be6e97.jpg

At a parking garage Bank drive through one block from my first apartment 1985 Dogtown Web board
IMG_0828_zpse0648058.jpg

My ramp 1986 Dogtown Web board
IMG_0827_zpseed5202c.jpg

Stylin' it out Mike! Thanks for the skate pix! I love the Tony Alva signature tail stall...

There was a ditch in Shreveport, on the LSU-S campus, where we had one of those parking block grind spots, in the 80s...It's still there, if I would just get off my ass and skate it...

Man, your pik brings back memories of that spot...slappy frontside lapover grinds...50/50 backside carve-grinds like your boy Steve is doing in that creamy long surf ditch...One of those spots where all the skaters from that side of town would just show up simultaneously, like we all had received a rad signal from the universe... :cool: Sessions would go for hours and hours, sweating and bleeding and grinding and laughing...

Sawyer, A friend of mine recently pointed me in the Baker Creek direction. I had seen the Rareseed website before but was unaware of where it was. Drove right past it more times than I can count (if it was there in the 70's) going back and forth from Joplin to Arkansas. I look forward to growing these.

GAGrowhead, We all cope the best we can! Sorry. :confused:

Gary Thanks! All I can say is that there was nothing more satisfying than skating with friends and laying out the lapover frontside grind! I enjoy these memories too.

Later Mike

That curb is begging to be lapped! You guys were some style mongers, Mike! I don't really know how the kids are skating today, but from the little I've noticed, there's very little stylin' going on....Seems like it's all about big air and twirling around up above the lip....

I forgot to mention that Baker Creek was my first seed vendor, from back in my tomato obsession days. (There's nothing quite like the Purple Calabash.) It was from them I bought my original Thai Garden Birdseed packets, the descendants of which are growing in my garden as I type this.....Gorgeous catalog, too.

Oh yeah, sweet ramp! I like the way you had the coping attached...PVC or steel?

The coping was steel and maybe a little to protruding on the opposite side. Kind of abrubt poping over it. I built this ramp with insurance money from a wrecked vehicle. Hey my priorities were in order! I ended up giving the ramp to a younger skate friend. We built a trailor, (no license plates) and haulded it in 3 sections after midnight to his house (20 miles). Great morning welcome for the neighbors!

IMG_0824_zps35f1c89a.jpg

Sweet, I can hear in my head the ring of Indy 169's slapping Schedule 40 pipe...even better than pool coping!

I liked for it to stick out a little...The board would pop up and go weightless, increasing the gnarliness and facilitating the slappiness...

I dig the fish!

Your coping looks prefect. I like it sticking out a bit. Love bouncing the back wheels off on fakie ollies!
I built a ton of ramps. Was always trying to score the best pipe for coping. I hated that fence piping (1.5" or less i think) that was readily available and ended up on most ramps, including a few of mine. I scored a 3" piece before and it was the best, but 2" and bigger is dreamy. I dug steel more than pool back then. Pool coping was like parking curbs here. Some grinded well, some didn't. The new stuff they use at the parks is best pool coping ever, grinds like crazy.
Anyway... awewome photos! Wish i could have skated your ramp with you. And lol at the d.i.y. trailer story. You could never get way with that nowadays!

Thanks Gary and GA Grow! I will certainly put up more skate pics soon.

Working on the 3rd raised bed this weekend. A Chocolate Bhut Jolokia in it's 3rd or 4th year, (can't remember). Thought it was a casulty to cat pee on my back porch but is now showing signs of life. It should make a monster plant this year. Also a 2nd year yellow 7 pod and a Chocolate Trinidad Scorpion originally from Cappy, a Chocolate Hab and a White 7 pot, both from Eric, Eephus Man last year. Better try to squeeze in a tomato too.

Here's a pic of the yound sprouts for the "Sweet Twister" store bought pods.
IMG_0876_zps2b91f5fe.jpg

IMG_0875_zpsf6ab588a.jpg

A couple nights back I dropped off a couple dozen seed varieties to Sean at this fine establishment in Austin. If you live close you should check it out.
IMG_0874_zps21bf818c.jpg

I germinated some other store bought pods that were ordinary orange habs. As you can see in the pic they were not quite normal so I got several going to see what happens. Calling them Funky Orange Habs
IMG_0785_zpsfabe139f.jpg

Funky Orange Habs
IMG_0877_zpsa8d0e66a.jpg

It post a pic of bed #3 tomorrow when I finish. Also moved out the Papaya trees today and Plumeria. The Papaya are entering their 3rd year, hopefully fruit.
IMG_0880_zpse9244a08.jpg

Pics of this weekends raised bed;

After transplanting before mulch. Mesh to help deter cats digging,ours and neighbors.
IMG_0885_zpsb598c12d.jpg

The 3rd year chocolate bhut and the 3rd year Red Devil's Tongue it replaced
IMG_0886_zpsa1f245da.jpg

My progress so far this season with the over winters. After the 4th bed is complete I will probably start laying some sod.
IMG_0887_zps035ac1cc.jpg

Yellow 7 Pod
IMG_0884_zps6b50038d.jpg

Thanks Guys! I tend to be envious of the continuous season farther north than the pause of production we experience here. Some season's are not so bad. All we can do is hope. The overwinters are key to dealing with the hot summer.

Laer Mike

Back