• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Caribbean Red chile facts

I've grown every possible chile with the name "Caribbean Red". there's no confusion... you're insisting on calling a chile a true Habanero when it isn't. you even used NMSU to back up your statement, but their chile is even more non-habanero-like. only very specific chiles are actually Habaneros and treating the Caribbean Red as one, is to say all C. chinense with X shape are Habaneros. that is not true.

That is all.

Having the right pod shape and origin makes the CR two steps closer to being a real habanero, and since they are habanero mutants and not crossed, thats another step closer.
You could easily argue that the Caribbean red is a real Habanero and you could also argue that real habaneros are only orange, but then what are you going to call the red ones to keep everyone happy? :)

Having the right pod shape and origin makes the CR two steps closer to being a real habanero, and since they are habanero mutants and not crossed, thats another step closer.
You could easily argue that the Caribbean red is a real Habanero and you could also argue that real habaneros are only orange, but then what are you going to call the red ones to keep everyone happy? :)
Kanna? maybe these?
image001.jpg

I've grown every possible chile with the name "Caribbean Red". there's no confusion... you're insisting on calling a chile a true Habanero when it isn't. you even used NMSU to back up your statement, but their chile is even more non-habanero-like. only very specific chiles are actually Habaneros and treating the Caribbean Red as one, is to say all C. chinense with X shape are Habaneros. that is not true.

That is all.

All Caribbean Reds are Habaneros, but not all red Habaneros are Caribbean Reds.

After re-reading your posts again, the above quotes clearly contradict each other. I feel like you are desperately trying to prove me wrong about something, and I just don't get it. Either you believe the CRH is a Habanero or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

There seems to be some grey area here with the CRH anyway, because if there was a clear answer, this thread would have died long ago. My last post merely stated that perhaps there is a Caribbean Red AND a Caribbean Red Habanero. This could have arisen from people misnaming things over time...who is to say. In case you were interested, the picture of the CRH used in "The Complete Chile Pepper Book," which was co-authored by Paul Bosland from NMSU CPI, looks exactly like Potawie's picture of his plant, and it is what I hope mine look like as well. Like I said earlier, I'll let you know what it looks like when it grows out.

Bottom line, without DNA tests, there is no way to authoritatively back up any claims on whether or not the CRH shown in Potawie's pic (Which I think even you would agree is true to type) is a true Habanero. The best we have to go by are phenotype and origin, and to me, it looks damn close to an orange Habanero, but red. You have your opinion and I have mine.

I don't know if you have noticed but throughout this thread, my posts are not geared toward proving you wrong, but more about finding out a bit more information on the origins of a pepper I am growing this season. I am fine with people stating their opinions, and I welcome them. Potawie brought some interesting information to the table about the connection to Monsanto that neither you nor I knew about. I'm sure there are some other things you don't know about as well. How about we just keep the focus on bringing more information to the table, yeah?

I have gotten a kick out of this thread...and I gotta say I hope you all are giggling about it like I am... :rofl:

these discussions are hilarious...

Guys, I've been growing CR's since 98 and only until now do I really think I'm beginning to understand its history. Thank you for the thread!

After re-reading your posts again, the above quotes clearly contradict each other. I feel like you are desperately trying to prove me wrong about something, and I just don't get it. Either you believe the CRH is a Habanero or you don't. You can't have it both ways.

There seems to be some grey area here with the CRH anyway, because if there was a clear answer, this thread would have died long ago. My last post merely stated that perhaps there is a Caribbean Red AND a Caribbean Red Habanero. This could have arisen from people misnaming things over time...who is to say. In case you were interested, the picture of the CRH used in "The Complete Chile Pepper Book," which was co-authored by Paul Bosland from NMSU CPI, looks exactly like Potawie's picture of his plant, and it is what I hope mine look like as well. Like I said earlier, I'll let you know what it looks like when it grows out.

Bottom line, without DNA tests, there is no way to authoritatively back up any claims on whether or not the CRH shown in Potawie's pic (Which I think even you would agree is true to type) is a true Habanero. The best we have to go by are phenotype and origin, and to me, it looks damn close to an orange Habanero, but red. You have your opinion and I have mine.

I don't know if you have noticed but throughout this thread, my posts are not geared toward proving you wrong, but more about finding out a bit more information on the origins of a pepper I am growing this season. I am fine with people stating their opinions, and I welcome them. Potawie brought some interesting information to the table about the connection to Monsanto that neither you nor I knew about. I'm sure there are some other things you don't know about as well. How about we just keep the focus on bringing more information to the table, yeah?
Not trying to prove you wrong.
The part where I said "All Caribbean Reds are Habaneros, but not all red Habaneros are Caribbean Reds" had a different meaning than the one you keep using, AND I ALREADY EXPLAINED MYSELF. will explain in again and I hope you won't choose to ignore it also.

The discussion started with how people think every red C. chinense with a hab-like shape is Caribbean Red, so I referred to C. chinense chiles as "Habaneros" to make a point. the point was not every C. chinense is Caribbean Red, not how Caribbean Red is a Habanero.

Now let me try and explain myself even better.
I think we already cleared that "Habanero" in its real sense is not that general, so not every C. chinense would be qualified to be named such. it doesn't matter what shape it is or what color it is... it's a complex thing. trying to dig in even further will take a lifetime.

This debate became what it is today, for me at least, when you stated it was clear the Caribbean Red is a Habanero and would like to see how the Habaneros compare to Scotch Bonnets. that made me understand how you don't use Habanero in the general sense of C. chinense chiles and see them as a standalone sub-group inside the C. chinense species. I disagreed and tried to explain that to you in stating it is not even a real Habanero. not all C. chinense are Habaneros. now throughout all of this debate you had comments such as "it's a Habanero, it's red... so it's a red Habanero" which is setting facts, that I don't agree with. let's just say I am just a simple man and do not, and ever will not, know everything about everything. the Caribbean Red might be a a real Habanero and it might not, I can't 100% say. so can't you. the info I learned over the years indicates it isn't. the point where you insisted it's a true Habanero and I'm trying to twist the truth was wrong. one of your claims was that NMSU's catalog backs up your statement it is a Habanero, and you know what? their "Red Caribbean Habanero" might be a real Habanero, might not... I personally think it isn't, but it doesn't matter. it's not even the same chile we're discussing here, just look at the picture. this leads me to another point I never referred to before, but you just have - there are multiple DIFFERENT chiles with the name "Caribbean Red". some are short, some long, some are round, some are pointy and so on... they are all called "Habaneros" and in my opinion none of them truly is. most of them share certain qualities such as heat, flavor etc... some are called such just because they're from the Caribbean, even though the common chile we refer to as Caribbean Red is not from the Caribbean. yes, we already talked about it... no need to correct me. in my eyes Mexico chiles are not the same as the ones in the Caribbean islands.

Well that's about it. my opinion.
I hope it was clear enough this time.

That is all.

I would love to see pics of all the different pods that have gone by Caribbean Red over the years. Exactly how many are there?

OMRI the second photo you posted the pods look more like Trinidad Congo's to me.

im wonderin if on average the carribean red is hotter then the red savina????

cause some tests showed the savina at 250 k instead of over 500k

im guessing you need a new mexico dry climate to get the highest temps.

but then again im wondering what the Georgia subtropical climate has done for mine.......
Since this is more like the climate of the yucatan during the summer.

Well, this certainly wasn't the light lunch reading I was expecting!!

I just like to grow 'em and eat 'em, I'll leave the rest to you guys!!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I did say I'd post back to let you all know how the NMSU CPI Caribbean Red Habanero turned out...

They are indeed CRH's, no matter what the picture on their website looks like. Typical phenotype starting out light green with the visible veins and that unmistakeable Habanero shape...exactly like Potawie's picture earlier in the thread.

So if you want some true CRH's from a reputable source, NMSU CPI won't do you wrong!

I've grown several sources of Caribbean reds over the years both from seed and from bought plants, and I've never seen pods that pod shape before or even pics online.

I believe these are what are commonly known as Caribbean reds

Aug 10 004 by potawie, on Flickr

And here's where they apparently originate. See pic
http://us.seminis.com/products/hg_hot_pepper/caribbean_red.asp
that plant is producing!

I need to bump this thread today; I made a peanut butter and chile sandwich with a fresh pod from one of my 3-year-old CRH plants at 5:45 this morning, and my stomach is still on fire at 8:45. That makes it every bit as hot as the Bhut Jolokias I've had (from Brian2112), maybe hotter, because I don't remember suffering this long with them. More like the Brain Strains that Romy6 sends me...

Respect the Caribbean Red!!! Maybe this variety is the same as the Red Savina, as AJ has said many times...

This is a photo of the plants taken a couple week ago:

crh.jpg

[sub]Very hot - I would guess in the 300 K range. Great flavor too![/sub]

[sub]What's cool about these particular plants is that they basically popped up from the mother plant - I didn't grow from seed. That suggests to me that it is a very hardy strain.[/sub]

Back