• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense carolina reaper almost 2 months later

You know it is funny, but then it is not. This could turn out to be one of those myths that just keep getting passed around until everybody believes it is true.

The power of marketing, you can the "World's ______" fill in the blank, no testing needed, just add some propaganda and print some labels....

I was just thinking yesterday that all the convo about this chili had died down... I imagin it will come back when hobby pods start to show up.... sadly my seedlings were eaten to the point of no return and I have to start over.

- Mega

We have seen the reviews.....documentation is what is missing.

You can see a crystal, is it a diamond or just glass....documentation makes the diamond valuable.

LOL 7 LBS of meat in 8 quarts of chili!!!!!!!

that's my kinda chili! :woohoo:

We have seen the reviews.....documentation is what is missing.

You can see a crystal, is it a diamond or just glass....documentation makes the diamond valuable.

technically, clever marketing and supply restriction is what makes a diamond valuable.

Diamonds are common stones that DeBeers controls the supply chain of. With the exception of the extremely rare colored diamonds, clear diamonds are relatively worthless.

but the point still applied - it's marketing that makes the diamond valuable - most notably the movie stars of Hollywood's heyday. The notion of diamonds being a girl's best friend (Marylin Monroe) or diamond rings being the symbol of engagement in America - these concepts didn't exist without the clever marketing of the diamond industry.

Before I get bashed for being off-topic, I assure you I'm not - this is directly related to the concept of marketing making something more valuable than it may actually be. As was stated above, if the new "hottest ever!" is successfully marketed, even without proof it's effective marketing. And it's kind of a win-win for the grower/breeder. If it's proven to be the hottest, there's a boon from the confirmation. If it's disproven, the publicity that generates will be just as valuable - because people will buy it to find out for themselves if it's really that hot, and just to be a contender for the title of "hottest ever" will drive substantial sales.

check out an article called "have you ever tried to sell a diamond?" It's pretty fascinating stuff - my marketing professor turned me onto it.

If you're curious:

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/1982/02/have-you-ever-tried-to-sell-a-diamond/304575/

Your walking out of the liquor store a man comes up to you sell you a diamond, he has no documentation.....

You are in the mall at a jewelry store, they have the same diamond, but this time it comes with documentation, providing you with scientic proof, you are buying a diamond......

Which one would you buy? What is the difference in the two situation? Documentation........

No need to get anymore off topic with things that are irrelevant.

There are different types of value. Monetary value is driven by supply and demand, and fueled by clever marketing that kicks up the demand part of the equation. But in the pepper world there is a more personal value to what we choose to grow. Many of us have limited space, so we pick and choose what we put in our gardens carefully. The things we make out of what we have grown has a value to us that is not measured in dollars and cents. A bottle of hot sauce may cot about 10 bucks in the store, but I wouldn't sell a bottle of mine to a stranger for triple that price. However, I would gladly give that same bottle away to a friend.

Growing what may be the hottest pepper on the planet has a particular value to people that outstrips ten bucks for a packet of seeds. If it turns out to be as hot as the claims say it is then fantastic. Even if it isn't you can still say that you grew what is supposed to be the hottest pepper in the world, and there is a bit of a cool factor to that. But unless it is fully accepted in the pepper community as the hottest in the world there will always be something niggling in the back of your mind as you tell people about how it is the hottest in the world. I think the documentation is only important to some degree. If it is truly as hot as it is supposed to be word of mouth will spread and everyone will want to try growing them. That is when it will truly be valuable in both respects.

Back