• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Carolina Reaper and Pepper Stabilization

So the Carolina Reaper Community Grow thread is getting derailed a tad by conversation of it's stability and what stabilization actually means; etc. etc.

I think it needs to be talked about but thought this would be a better place for the debate.

My CR's are just starting to pod up so I'm not sure what type of pods to expect just yet but many of you have been getting extremely different results.

What I can say in regards to pepper stability; if it's stable, the pepper is going to grow true to form a 90-95% of the time. Realistically speaking, they will look extremely similar to one another. I'm talking from one strain to another. Sure there are bhut Jolokias that look different from one another but that difference shows through on all the pods and all of the plants grown from seeds from those pods. (As long as it is a stable variety-see what I did there lol)

I'm just using bhut Jolokia as one example because its been around the longest (supers) and has had a lot more time for different strains with differing phenotypes to be selected/grown.

Anyways, lets keep the side shoot thread rolling over here and let the CR grow log take its course.

A lot of folks spent good money to get these seeds (reapers) among others (not as much) and to see so many variants is ridiculous.

In some cases, people just trade un-isolated seeds and eventually people are posting pics of all kinds of stuff but when all the seeds come from one source and you get this much variability, it's not right.

In no way shape or form is the Carolina Reaper stable. I think the fact that all the seeds came directly from Ed Curry and the results in the community grow (among others grows) is proof enough that things were rushed and an unstable strain was put to market.

Owning a plant....ok well, at least make it stable because now Ed's reputation is as about stable as his pepper.

Cirrect me if I'm wrong but I believe that Ed Currie was also the creator of the Trinidad Scorpion Moruga. That particular strain is stable, the Corolina Reaper might have been rushed a little in order to satisfy all the hype and intacipation?

Oh yes, Jim Duffy. He pushed it last year but he didnt create it I don't believe, he just had his plants tested and pushed sales.
Scratch my post, Mr. Mojo beat me to it lol

I was under the impression that heat average was what he was aiming for. Pod shape is cool and all but the big sell was most consistent SHU. I don't know if that was achieved but when I bought the seeds that's what I was sold on. I do, by way, have 2 diffetent shaped pods on two plants, and any seeds I trade will only come from the stingery pods, but for me that was secondary. It like when I grow grocery store habs. I just think I can improve on it.

Pepperhead said:
I was under the impression that heat average was what he was aiming for. Pod shape is cool and all but the big sell was most consistent SHU. I don't know if that was achieved but when I bought the seeds that's what I was sold on. I do, by way, have 2 diffetent shaped pods on two plants, and any seeds I trade will only come from the stingery pods, but for me that was secondary. It like when I grow grocery store habs. I just think I can improve on it.
If you are going for heat or any consistency in a pod you still need stability to get the uniformity otherwise its pot luck (Hey I think Guru is onto something ;) )  

3/5King said:
Oh yes, Jim Duffy. He pushed it last year but he didnt create it I don't believe, he just had his plants tested and pushed sales.
Scratch my post, Mr. Mojo beat me to it lol
No he didn't create it just creatively renamed it and pushed it and made it available as a 3 pack only on his site at $35 with the newly configured name of Morouga Scorpion as opposed to what everyone else called it the Trinidad Scorpion Morouga Blend (TSMB) ... it was the same sort of money grab just in a different way in my opinion

From what I've seen with this pepper. If pods don't look like what it's advertise. The usual response is
"Are you sure you didn't mislabel it"

"If you got it from a trade maybe they lied and gave you random seeds"

"Growing conditions can affect it. Just wait. And it will grow true"

Seems like all the time hobby growers are the first to be blamed for the reason things didn't go right.
Even heard that a vendor might of mixed in random seeds Along with the reaper to have more seeds available and full the pack

And now I hear that people cannot profit from the pepper either by pods. (Fresh or dried) or seeds or any product that involves the reaper as an ingredient ?!

And just because we've seen people with reaper pods as advertised. Vendors were quick to say. "See. It's stable. It must be you why it's not growing right ". That its a successful pepper

I know a couple of people growing it and so far have been utterly disappointed by the pod shapes and taste

And to end it. Why was a vendor who was selling and posting pictures in the previous thread all of a sudden burned all his plants because it wasnt his favorite ?! Hmmmmmmmmmmmm

So, I've been reading about this with some amazement (is this the correct word?). Is there a topic somewhere about why people are scamming, envying, hating and what more in the pepper business?
I understand vendors must be creative to sell more, but why not through excellence? I don't get it.

wahlee76 said:
So, I've been reading about this with some amazement (is this the correct word?). Is there a topic somewhere about why people are scamming, envying, hating and what more in the pepper business?
I understand vendors must be creative to sell more, but why not through excellence? I don't get it.
The reason why is because there was a gap in a growing market for people to make money ... hence people decided to take advantage ... its called capitalism.

The reason excellence alone isn't used to make big money in this business is because that excellence in this community is spread through word of mouth and to a limited audience (there are some excellent vendors here who may make some money off this but were in it first and foremost because they loved chilli's and bringing it to others) ... bravado, bollocks and media marketing (in reality it's called propaganda)  on the other hand can be launched to the masses who care not for the truth or excellence but only for the glory of growing the latest "worlds hottest" (and in reality may never have grown a chilli before and will either kill it before it fruits or just accept/lose interest in the final result).  The seller has his money and is untouchable and doesn't expect a repeat customer in 80% of the cases of these hyped varieties.

The Majority of the Human Race are schmucks who take everything at face value and don't question the truth .. sad but true

there is a long thread on facebook that included Ed and Duffy, the variation in the reaper was brought up several times and each time the question was never answered.

kind of like Obama, if you can ignore a situation long enough, people lose interst and move along....so for now, it will be ignored.
It is on the Facebook page chiligrower
In the Facebook thread Ed says anything after F8 is stable, I asked about the plants that are growing the bhut like peppers and the hab like peppers and the question was not addressed. So I said that stable has nothing to do with pods but only with age......they beat around the bush on that as well.

so it seems that stable has nothing to with producing the same general pod, just as long as you can claim it is 8 generations old.

So anything you buy, no matter how weird the pod, it IS stable due to generational age.....pod variation is irrelevant i guess

There was a lot of PepperJoe promotion in the lead up to the release of this pepper.which is fine.  I bought seeds from PepperJoe based on this which is ok.  My concern is why he seems less present now the stability issue has been raised.  If the seed are not producing peppers as described, as a function of genetic instability or for any other reason I would expect either a very good explanation and/or a refund for the purchase price of the seeds.

My pods are small and do bare some similarities to those wonderful pics Ed and Joe have plastered everywhere. As far as heat and growing true to the pics nah not so. My other superhots have similar heat and taste, plus the seed production on the SBD3CPO22(Reaper) or whatever  is a disappointment to say the least.

I see somebody cut and pasted part of the Facebook thread here, that is the one that I was referring to in the post above.

Back