• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Carolina Reaper (HP22B) Community Grow

A few members including myself are growing seeds for this variety ASAP. I and a few others here on THP thought it would be fun to have a "community glog" strictly for this variety, a fun thread about the HP22B and growing this pepper for the first time.

I think we should start a community glog like this anytime there is a new pepper with alot of attention and alot of people growing it, possible world record holder or not. It would be fun, and this should be fun! That's why we all love this hobby is it not?

Therefore, this will be a drama-free, controversy-free, fun glog for all of us growers and others to enjoy. If you grow, please chime in. If you're growing this variety, please post pictures and chime in about your observations.

Again.. This thread is ment to be fun and informative, but mostly fun :)
Please. Pretty please with sugar on top.. lol. Keep it drama-free.
I, and many others would really appreciate this thread to stay that way.

Now lets get to growing!

IMG_3008.jpg

I went with the paper towel method for this guy just like I have with all my mid-season starts. It is far from my favorite way to germinate seeds but I'm in no hurry this time of year which is why I went this route. I've had the seeds in the paper towel for about a week now on top of my HOT5 lighting closet. The seeds should be showing root tips soon, then they will be visiting some real soil :D

How's it going for everyone else?

Brandon

Some fruiting plants can produce the same fruit in low temps/low light as they can in higher temps. Some cannot. Some won't fruit at all. Try growing Oranges in Alaska. Trees would probably be ok. You'll never see a fruit. My blood Orange in Hayward, CA has exquisite foliage - prettiest Orange tree on my property. IT flowers, buds, forms tiny oranges, and then they turn yellow and drop.

As such this statement is ridiculous. You're quite literally comparing apples & oranges (or Bhuts and Reapers).

Funny you say that,I have an blood orange tree myself over here in socal,I had a few fall off this year and a couple stay small and split before fully ripe.I now have several that recently ripened.Took a few years to produce,But back to the subject. I myself have noticed variation in pod size from cold weather and other environmental factors,but these pods given the right environment per say are not going to all of a sudden develop bumps and stingers and turn into a picture perfect pod in my opinion, no matter who the grower is. I got 4 going right now,including one with a tri cotyledon leaf,I'll post pics later they still have a long way to go before I get any pods!

Plant

Fruit

Both are environmentally impacted.

Some plants can grow in a variety of environmental conditions.

Some can't.

Some plants can fruit in a variety of environmental conditions.

Some can't.

Some fruit partially. Some fully. Some not at all.

One can have a great plant that doesn't fruit unless the conditions are exactly right for that plant.

Again - I dunno how they were grown, and what the temps were.

Having done indoor horticulture in the last I know the results can be staggeringly different variety to variety even when given the same conditions.

I think your true test is going to be this summer's outdoor harvest. I know, i know - it's a long time to keep the castle-storming axes & torches in the drawer.
:rofl:

I myself have noticed variation in pod size from cold weather and other environmental factors,but these pods given the right environment per say are not going to all of a sudden develop bumps and stingers and turn into a picture perfect pod in my opinion, no matter who the grower is.

I'm hoping my blood orange matures to that point, so encouraging words indeed.
:cheers:

Back to the subject, why not? An immature or more specifically prematurely ripening pod is going to look a heck of a lot different from a mature pod, no?

I'm hoping my blood orange matures to that point, so encouraging words indeed.
:cheers:

Back to the subject, why not? An immature or more specifically prematurely ripening pod is going to look a heck of a lot different from a mature pod, no?
This is true to a point, I've noticed a lot of variations this year myself.But if it's a smooth skinned pod,I doubt it will develop the bumps typical of the Primo or Reaper we've all seen.It looks like an entirely different pepper IMO.

Nnmn blood oranges. Can't believe nick and Scott's been holding out on me. BO is my wife's fave.

Back to reaping. Can't wait to taste Ron Paul's "reaper" pods

Tex's 2 plants, grew in sub tropical heat, in the 80s, 90S, and 100 degree range threw smooth yellow pods.

I guess heat may change their color, right?

Tex's 2 plants, grew in sub tropical heat, in the 80s, 90S, and 100 degree range threw smooth yellow pods.

I guess heat may change their color, right?

Dunno. Those conditions sound spot on for peppers so he might've had some wonky seeds indeed.

I was referring only to the pods I jut saw that were undersized & smooth.

Damn, i didnt realize texas stayed in the 80's 90's and 100's from mid october through mid Jan. What part of texas is he in cause i might have to look to moving there.

*edit was to fix the two typos i found*

Damn, i didnt realize texas stayed in the 80's 90's and 100's from mid october through mid Jan. What part of texas is he in cause i might have to look to moving there.

*edit was to fix the two typos i found*
It doesn't.

Pretty consistently in the 60s. Low humidity too. Hardly what I'd call "sub-tropical" or "80s, 90s, 100s"
http://www.currentresults.com/Weather/Texas/temperature-january.php

Hmmm

Plants podded a month ago, he planted when they first came out. It is a sunny 78 here today.

We had 90 degree day in December......now you know.

http://weatherspark.com/averages/30861/9/McAllen-Texas-United-States

Check the months weathermen. He planted late august.

Hot yellow pods, keep arguing......

Plants podded a month ago, he planted when they first came out. It is a sunny 78 here today.

We had 90 degree day in December......now you know.

it is neather 78 in Mcallen or Browsville right now, according to noaa its 68 a degrees (maybe you forgot to update your city).

and according to weather.com, yes he did see godo hanfull of 80's in december, but no 90 or 100's, i will give him maybe 1 day 90, but they show it as 89f.

http://www.weather.com/weather/monthly/USTX0166?month=-1

also you can search indvuila days here

http://www.almanac.com/weather/history/TX/Brownsville/2012-12-04

so i guess the old 80's are the new 90's and 100's.

First of all, I am not sure how Tex16's pods even came into play here... oh that's right, you brought them up, Armac. Pretty sure everyone was discussing a different plant altogether.

http://weatherspark....s-United-States

Check the months weathermen. He planted late august.

Hot yellow pods, keep arguing......

He planted the last day of August... you provided a link weather details for September. So you are saying Tex got a Chinense to go from seed to pod in about 32 days? Thats IMPRESSIVE!

Yeah, I thought we were discussing the immature pods that were smooth, thick & without many seeds (with with a tiny pointy thinggie starting to come out at the end).

In my experience with growing fruiting plants I've seen prematurely ripening fruits that were quite misshapen.

Now, not being a pepper grower, I'm not sure if the skin becomes bumpier as the pod matures, so maybe some of you pepper heads can help shed light based on experience. I'd guess that environmental conditions could have a lot to do with pepper shape, size, texture.

Color is genenitic - but color also changes on most peppers as it ages/matures. That said if talking about a fully mature pepper grown in optimal conditions that's yellow, then there ya go - its a variant.

I do think the pepper walls can become thinner as the pod grows/elongates.

Interesting subject for sure. It's nice to hear those who take a scientific approach.

Others may resume their witch hunt at their leisure.

Back