Carolina Reaper Plant Issue..

JUR-Z-Devil said:

jesus christ its no wonder i see so many quoted posts of you arguing with solid7... you are 2 of a kind... 

lek said:

that's why someone said you & me are 2 of a kind ... $hit ... LOL ... hit and run

It's not my fault that we both hit a nerve of the same butthurt fool, who is always on the wrong side of a debate/conversation.  He/she likes being in a perpetually "offended" state, and isn't capable of having a discussion with grown ups.  Nor does he/she have anything knowledgeable to say, anyway.  It's just as well - consider it a gift to be blocked.
When one of us (or is it just me?) rebuts one of his/her foolish posts, since we're blocked, the point will stand, with no bitching and whining.  Win.

So this is what I would do to fix your Reaper plant..

a) Water with PH corrected water ~6.5 from now on

b) Repot your plant in good quality potting mix that does not have excessive P, cleaning the roots with water in between potting

c) When you do fertilize, use something that has 3-1-2 or thereabouts with added trace elements

d) Some seaweed liquid feed wouldn't hurt after you repot

I base this on my own experiences fixing unknown plant problems as well as what others have posted in this thread.

Wait a second..something is odd...

To compare soils... I did test today the Orange Habanero plant soil (judged healthy)...

Result are similar for the soil test (expected different since the other plants are ok) . I mean how come leaves are perfect (no crinkles or warped on new growth) on the orange habanero plant vs reaper?

orange_habanero.jpg

ELCouz said:

To compare soils... I did test today the Orange Habanero plant soil (judged healthy)...

Result are similar for the soil test (expected different since the other plants are ok) . I mean how come leaves are perfect (no crinkles or warped on new growth) on the orange habanero plant vs reaper?

orange_habanero.jpg
Not to sound rude, but it's impossible to diagnose something specifically, with no more information than what we can see.  It's not that you are necessarily going to sort out your problems by re-adjusting your parameters - it's just that in the absence of specifics, we're trying to rule out certain conditions, by putting you in the optimal zone.  Sometimes, when you provide the conditions for a plant to succeed, it will correct whatever is making it fail. (without you necessarily knowing specifically, what that is)
You may never know exactly what's wrong with your plants, but you've been given some good advice by a few people in this thread, and a good starting point, would be getting all of your plants into the "optimal" zone.

solid7 said:
Not to sound rude, but it's impossible to diagnose something specifically, with no more information than what we can see.  It's not that you are necessarily going to sort out your problems by re-adjusting your parameters - it's just that in the absence of specifics, we're trying to rule out certain conditions, by putting you in the optimal zone.  Sometimes, when you provide the conditions for a plant to succeed, it will correct whatever is making it fail. (without you necessarily knowing specifically, what that is)
You may never know exactly what's wrong with your plants, but you've been given some good advice by a few people in this thread, and a good starting point, would be getting all of your plants into the "optimal" zone.

I know I've read all the answers applied most of them (now how do we distillate the sperm to get the amino?
icon_smile_biggrinking.gif
). I am still looking for that CNS17 grow, it's harder to get in Canada I guess. I will have to buy online.

At this point I have posted this because I was surprised of the result.

I will play with the reaper and leave the others plants alone (just supply tap water and see) since they are producing pods and I don't want to make the flowers drop under stress (drastic changes).

I can't answer why they aren't all exhibiting the same results.  What I can say, is that it's easier to just get everything right at once, than it is trying to chase one issue at a time. (because when you take that approach, you often fix one thing, to have another pop up)
If your other plants begin to exhibit symptoms, treat them the same.

solid7 said:

It hasn't worked in my experiments.  I am open to the possibility that it could work, but I'd want to see proof.  Other than from lek, whose plants - when compared side by side with those of other growers - look like the equivalent of an omnivorous athlete, standing next to a dreadlocked vegan. (his/her plants are the vegans) 
If you can actually make this work, not only would I love to learn about it, but I'd even use the method, because I already have a large worm bed in operation.  At present, it's only used for supplementation.

What issues have you noticed? Just slower growth?
I'm adding a fat layer of compost and watering it in for every watering. It's potted in Osmocote though

solid7 said:

I agree with this, it is just the way of the world
More often than not your "results" will be anomalous because there are so many variables. I find that if I let the plant dry out on a sunny day and then water it with nitrogen is grows a lot overnight. Why did it grow so much overnight? Was is the sun, the water? The intake of water taking in the nutrients at the same time? Was is just ready to grow? 

The plants are never in the same scenario every time, each one will have different requirements for growth, intake differing amounts of nutrients and water, require watering at different times etc.
Really you'd be "lucky" to see the same thing happening to every plant at the same time if they are in different containers.

A lot of effort can go into "figuring it out" but it's not actually needed. The steps have been provided to wipe the slate clean and correct the issue already

Powelly said:

What issues have you noticed? Just slower growth?
I'm adding a fat layer of compost and watering it in for every watering. It's potted in Osmocote though
Several things of note:

1) I have no guaranteed analysis of my homegrown worm castings
2) the commercially available varieties that I have access to, are far from complete
3) the macros tend to be very low numbers - and the trace elements are usually unknown - which mean that if they are utilized solely as the means of feeding the plant, they will be depleted quickly.

I have a long growing season, and I don't typically aim for a single harvest.  If possible, I'll keep a plant growing for as long as it's content to survive.  That means that there must be a renewable source of food.  Because of my strategy, I can't say exactly how long worm castings or compost will hold out - but I wouldn't guess it to be very long. 

solid7 said:
Several things of note:

1) I have no guaranteed analysis of my homegrown worm castings
2) the commercially available varieties that I have access to, are far from complete
3) the macros tend to be very low numbers - and the trace elements are usually unknown - which mean that if they are utilized solely as the means of feeding the plant, they will be depleted quickly.

I have a long growing season, and I don't typically aim for a single harvest.  If possible, I'll keep a plant growing for as long as it's content to survive.  That means that there must be a renewable source of food.  Because of my strategy, I can't say exactly how long worm castings or compost will hold out - but I wouldn't guess it to be very long. 

I should really expand on this and perhaps I'll create a new thread because it's beyond the scope of this thread

I've said before that the most important things are the quality / amount of light the plant gets and the soil that the plant is in.
Your soil needs to be of high quality which means that it has many microbes and fungi in it. These break down any organic matter into compost and nutrients- worms do the same.

When your soil is good enough it won't need fertilizing because everything is eating the next thing and creating a great soil with all the nutrients it requires
Adding worm or mushroom compost and watering it in is doing this, so is adding fish emulsion, seaweed solution, compost teas etc.

This is easier in bigger containers than smaller ones but I believe it is the best method. Fertilization is simply adding in what a good soil does not have.
Again- this isn't saying that one way is better than the other. However I think trying to meet both in the middle isn't going to work too well

Conclusion: Soil is probably the second most important thing after light and people who don't want to manually fertilize due to time/effort/ignorance should consider it strongly

ELCouz said:

move that reaper away from orange hab.  :pray:

Well to close the topic and hope all the info around on this thread will be useful in the future for someone else...

The reaper has recovered (almost twice the size) with the long water flush and light nutes refill that I did per solid7 recommendation.

Before, slow growth new leaves stays tiny (6 days ago):

slow_grow.jpg

After flush (took picture 3 days after flush):

grow_boom.jpg

New leaves are still warped but it's already a major improvement. Patience and leaving the plants alone are two things I need to work-out :)...

Thanks again everyone for this very useful discussion!

PS: most of the stuff recommended (fish emulsion, worms castings, mushroom compost) are not yet available but will look into once our growing season has started (around April)

I will write to Botanicare about where to buy in Canada for the CNS17.

Went to hydro shops today...they all carry maximum bloom stuff or multiple bottles nutriments kit...all for weed I guess

ELCouz said:

PS: most of the stuff recommended (fish emulsion, worms castings, mushroom compost) are not yet available but will look into once our growing season has started (around April)

I will write to Botanicare about where to buy in Canada for the CNS17.

Went to hydro shops today...they all carry maximum bloom stuff or multiple bottles nutriments kit...all for weed I guess

Fish emulsion or hydrolosate will be just fine, but you may need some calcium supplementation. (maybe not)

Check Amazon.com or ebay.ca for the CNS17.  It's cheap, and should be easy to find.  Or look for the Dyna-Pro Foliage, if you can't find the CNS17 Grow.  I've not used it, but alot of growers swear by it.

how was your reaper?   is it still getting better?

here is the reaper that i cure using only fine mist from tap water.

32146692163_8a9c506505.jpg

32836579371_b62c4705ef.jpg

32146690953_6f54f826fa.jpg

32580397230_43a730150b.jpg

today it is healthier and a lot bigger.  grow quite fast, right?  just let the nature do its job.

32146689513_bc786f5916_b.jpg

Growth hasn't slowed down but the leaves are still a bit crinkly...

recover1.jpg

New leaves are looking better after feeding calmag.

magical.png

recover2.jpg

Reactions: lek
ELCouz said:

Thanks... although I'm far from a good looking plant ?

Like this young reaper 

dscf1362.jpg

I'm trying to understand why I can't have a perfect looking plant like most of you guys have !...  /jealous
You take care of them too much. They'd look better with more conventional pots.

lek said:

today it is healthier and a lot bigger.  grow quite fast, right?  just let the nature do its job

Curious did you test your city water ? PPM, PH?

lek said:

today it is healthier and a lot bigger.  grow quite fast, right?  just let the nature do its job.

32146689513_bc786f5916_b.jpg

Ermm im confused. What did you cure by watering it? its thirst? 
Obviously there was no real issue if all you had to do was water it...

What am I missing?

Back