• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

CATS - AARRRGHHHH

I guess I'm not alone here. Neighborhood cats in my yard digging up seedlings and crapping in my garden. I'm loosing my mind over this. I choose not to have cats - YET....... I HAVE CATS! Any ides out there on how to solve this really big hassle?

Orange peals - cats hate them
Garlic - cats hate it
Pungent onions - cats cry

All work well and will not harm felines. The will piss and poo in neighbours yard

Well I have a cat that stays indoors but there is always a new batch of stray cats outside. They seem to hate spray bottles ( almost all cats hate water ). Probally not the solution for you standing all day and night squirting cats in your yard. There's something on the market that is more or less Lion's piss ( guess it scares the hell out of the little cats ). Never used it. Here in Kansas we have no shortage of cats so throwing a tire tool at one is not frowned on. You could embrace them-plant catnip and catgrass maybe build them a little sand box for them to do a number in. But remember they are like hobos. If you befriend one your house will be marked as a easy mark for every stray in the state to stop by.

i know containers aren't everyones bag but this thread is a prime example of why i use large containers. savannah has a severe feral cat issue. they are f'n everywhere. if i use big enough containers the cat's can't drain the main vein all over my plants. those little turds have ruined large ground plots in a matter of days. i also sprinkle dried bhut around my plants the past 2 years and no whizz burn or doody anywhere.

Stuff called Critter Rid - mostly capsaicin - did the trick with the groundhog I got, and those things are stubborn.

I guess I'm not alone here. Neighborhood cats in my yard digging up seedlings and crapping in my garden. I'm loosing my mind over this. I choose not to have cats - YET....... I HAVE CATS! Any ides out there on how to solve this really big hassle?

I have a similar problem with my neighbors cat. I tried citrus crystals but they dissolve too fast. I have now planted a couple lavender plants in my garden beds. Apparently cats hate the smell of lavender (so do i but i hate cats more). So far it's been working great.

Animal control won't do anything about cats here. If they are on my property, I must assume they are wild and I trap them (alive) and haul them out to the "wild" to be released. If I shoot them I could be charged with animal cruelty.

I have 2 four-legged cat, rabbit, critter repellent machines...they're called dogs! A pom and an american eskimo...the pom is the "boss", she trained the other one and it works. The yard stays fairly critter free, her favorite morning activity is chasing the birds out of the yard. We live in a town with no laws on the books regarding rabbits so most gardens are fair game. If they ( rabbits) hear the door open they know Zoie is coming out and they are gone!! If any cat moves it's game,the ones who ignore Zoie are safe but she has put the fear in all the neighborhood cats.

I have a pug, he's an inside dog. He does chase the cat away during the day but it's at night that I had my problems.
I looked into cat traps from the local council too and they charge you to hire the trap(you cannot build your own).
You have to take the cat to a shelter or something after capture and they also charge you to take the cat.
You are not allowed to dump cats in the wild, they have to be handed in.

More hassle and expense than it's worth just cause they neighbors can't keep there cat in their own yard.

Just cover the ground with wire mesh, most digging things don't like to dig metal. You can lose the wire once they're established.

Jeez, sometimes ya have to take matters into your own hands and make a plan so that powers that may be will not know. I thought about goin this route with my ex-wife, but she finally left on her own. Anyway its much easier to dispose of 5 pound animal then a 100+ pound human and the interrogation proccess of legal authorities will be minimal to zero when a feline goes missing. Just dont run around the neighborhood pumping off rounds from a 12 gauge and you should be ok.

Air Rifle=very quiet
Burlap sack or garbage bag=minimal cost
Dig a hole= no cost
Trip to an unpopulated site for a drop off= not that hard to do

Jim

Seems some people got upset about Michael Vick killing dogs... people who gratuitously harm animals aren't much better than animals. If you can't figure out what it is and how to stop it in a civilized manner then you don't deserve to grow anything.

I know you can use a high frequency sound emitter for some animals. You can't hear it, so it's not a bad solution - I have no idea whether or not it works on cats though...

EDIT: Something like this: http://www.safepetproducts.com/cat-stop-cat-repellent-1-cat-repellent-on-the-market.html

Seems some people got upset about Michael Vick killing dogs... people who gratuitously harm animals aren't much better than animals. If you can't figure out what it is and how to stop it in a civilized manner then you don't deserve to grow anything.

I dont have any problem with Michael Vick. He killed animals for entertainment. Cats kill animals for entertainment too. Jeez.

If i kill a pepper plant for entertainment does that make me a bad person?

Lets get off the political and morale aspects of this and get back to the original post at hand.

The poster had a problem, and people are giving him possible solutions to his problem.

Thx
Jim

I dont have any problem with Michael Vick. He killed animals for entertainment. Cats kill animals for entertainment too. Jeez.

If i kill a pepper plant for entertainment does that make me a bad person?

Lets get off the political and morale aspects of this and get back to the original post at hand.

The poster had a problem, and people are giving him possible solutions to his problem.

Thx
Jim

Then give the OP reasonable, sensible, and civilized solutions.

Back