• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

CD's Offseason Season 2020-2021

I've been wanting to get an off-season glog for while now, so I bit the bullet and got things organized and some pictures taken over the past few days.  I have a mix of plants currently, including continued indoor plants; some just started; OW's I cleaned and quarantined and will be actively growing inside; and OW's that will simply be sustained until warmer months.

I'll kick things off with a cool gift a friend sent me the other day.  I haven't had an advent calendar since probably elementary school days and I've certainly never had one like this before:

The 25 hot sauces of christmas.  Now, I can go through hot sauce quickly, but I'm not sure I can go through it bottle-a-day quickly ;)
20201125 HolidaySauces.jpg

The new starts should have been planted earlier so they'd be finished producing before the 2021 starts need space, but I guess I'll figure that out when the time comes.

I dropped 3 Orange Fish seeds and all popped - shout out to CTB for these.  One is dark with antho, one seems to have none, and a third has at least some.  I'm keeping all 3 for now and will grow at least one with and one without.

Dark Fish
20201127 OFishDark.jpg

Lite Fish
20201127 OFishLite.jpg

Also underway:

Death Spiral
20201127 DeathSpiral.jpg

Datil - thanks Tybo!
20201127 DatilTybo.jpg

A few Primotalii & an Orange Ripple - courtesy of CTB.
20201127 Primotalii.jpg

20201127 ORipple.jpg

And Carbonero Cream
20201127 CarbCream.jpg

The last of the current sprouts are Lemon Spice Jalap's, which I started again because I thought I might want to cross them with one of the other new starts.  I've noticed the L Spice tend to have some recurring oddities, including "conjoined twin" pods and the growth habit, below.

"Normal" Lemon Spice:
20201127 LSPice.jpg

"Mutant" style Lemon Spice with odd single first true leaf and offset growth tip - anyone else seeing either of these oddities in L Spice?
20201127 LSpiceMut.jpg

Here's a few of the carry-over indoor plants.  Most of these were started in what turned out to be very poor quality potting soil I got as a substitute for my usual indoor brand, which was unavailable at the time.  They fell behind and I just sort of kept them around and alive.  Recently, I repotted and topped/pruned them to get them growing better.

Peach Frutescens from Brazil - kind of dense after chopping, but it should open up.
20201126 PeachFrutAmCP.jpg

BB Habanero
20201127 BBHab.jpg

An F2 cross of Rocoto CAP 1242 x Eximium CAP 1491 - this is actually a relatively new start from seed.
20201127 1242x1491.jpg

Two of four Jalapeno Zapotec x Purple Jalapeno F2's I'm growing out. Both have good antho content, but it looks kind of odd ATM under the T5HO's.

One producing well.
20201127 JZxPJ5050.jpg

And one getting ready to.
20201127 JZxPJF2.jpg

A purple chacoense I recently top chopped to get it to branch.
20201127 PurpleChacoense.jpg

And I have 2 variegated jalapenos remaining that I'm hoping to get growing better.  They fell victim to the bad potting mix - and perhaps my less-than-benign neglect - but I've pruned and repotted them.

I brought this one back in from outside. It's currently in quarantine and has my only ripe pod from the recent season.
20201127 VJalapRipe.jpg

This one was always inside, but didn't thrive.  With new soil and pruning it looks like it's starting to take off.
20201127 VJalap.jpg

dragonsfire said:

Thanks DF!

Mildfruit said:
Great pictures as always! 
And great varieties! Ive heard good things about the carbonero cream. Looking forward to some grim looking primotalis. Will follow with interest as always!

Thanks, MF.  I'd been thinking about one of the Carbonero varieties and these just sort of fell into my hands.  I'm pretty psyched about the Primotalii, myself.  I haven't grown any really gnarly varieties recently and missed it.  I figure these should be plenty wicked.

Great off-season grow, CD. Nice to see the Variegated Jalapeños
hanging in there. Also looking forward to seeing how the BB
Habanero does for you. Mine was pretty productive.

I’ll be tagging along... 

Interesting stuff CD!

That Peach Frutescens looks like it's ready to kick some azz!

I'll be following along as well.

PaulG said:
Great off-season grow, CD. Nice to see the Variegated Jalapeños
hanging in there. Also looking forward to seeing how the BB
Habanero does for you. Mine was pretty productive.

I’ll be tagging along... 

Thanks, Paul.  My early results with the v. jalap were that the higher the white:green ratio, the slower and less robustly the plant would grow. I had an all-green one that produced quite well, but none of the whiter ones did, especially the almost pure white ones. After seeing your success, I realized these guys could do a lot better - though I continue to think that the chlorophyll level will have a notable affect on performance.  I can only hope my ripe pod has even half the number of seeds in yours :)

And yeah, your bb hab was a beast.  I think I'll have to small-pot mine if it's going to stay inside.

DownRiver said:
Interesting stuff CD!

That Peach Frutescens looks like it's ready to kick some azz!

I'll be following along as well.

Yeah man!  It's springing back with a vengeance.  Amazing how much better they do with decent soil   :rolleyes:

I have no idea what to expect from the peach frut - other than apparently one bushy SOB.  I haven't been able to locate either pictures or a description.  Hopefully it'll be a cool one.

HeatMiser said:
Another glog from Dr. McDog - I'll be following as well!

Seems like you're going to have a warm holiday season - hope you're preparing your stomach for that hot sauce calendar! Will be interesting to hear your opinion on those sauces.

Hey HM.  Hope your having a good holiday weekend.  I'm not sure what to expect from the sauces.  I've been wondering if they're all produced by one company or if perhaps someone just bought some odd lots and packaged them or what.  I'm keeping my expectation moderate for now and plan to follow the rules and wait for December 1 for my first clue.

Looks pretty ambitious, 'Dog. Also pretty darn healthy and lush. Me, stickin' with the *cough*four*cough* three I promised to keep 'er down to...Oh, and my XLB seeds appear to be quite viable, I germed one in that little condiment cup of perlite, now it's trying to figure out which is up or down. Those are damned good peppers, man!

Good luck, and do NOT lag in vigilance: I'm finding an aphid a day, and you know what they say about cockroaches.... :flamethrower:

Alright, B.  So here's December 1.  I learned from the label that the sauces are from Panolo Pepper Co.  It appears the first 24 bottles will be 2oz bottles and the last, christmas day, is a 5oz.  

I'm no great reviewer - just know what I like - but my take on this one is that there's something like brown sugar maybe and/or maybe a little cinnamon in it - ?   Whatever it is, I taste more of spice and some sweet than the actual peppers.  Low heat, but it has a good profile with a tingly, building, kind of front-of-the-mouth heat to it.  I think if they relied more on just the natural peppers it would be more suited to my taste.  As it is, it's ok maybe, just not really what I like. The more it lingers though, the more I like the profile of the heat.

20201201 Dec1 Sauce.jpg

CaneDog said:
Alright, B.  So here's December 1.  I learned from the label that the sauces are from Panolo Pepper Co.  It appears the first 24 bottles will be 2oz bottles and the last, christmas day, is a 5oz.  

I'm no great reviewer - just know what I like - but my take on this one is that there's something like brown sugar maybe and/or maybe a little cinnamon in it - ?   Whatever it is, I taste more of spice and some sweet than the actual peppers.  Low heat, but it has a good profile with a tingly, building, kind of front-of-the-mouth heat to it.  I think if they relied more on just the natural peppers it would be more suited to my taste.  As it is, it's ok maybe, just not really what I like. The more it lingers though, the more I like the profile of the heat.

attachicon.gif
20201201 Dec1 Sauce.jpg

Lol, cinnamon, sugar, spice - sounds like mulled wine hot sauce. There might be one with notes of figgy pudding in that box! haha...  :rofl:

Haha. Yep. Seasonal indeed, HM.  And if I find any figgy pudding pepper sauce in there I'll be sure to send it your way ;)

So, I wasn't planning to spam with daily sauce pic's, but since I was a bit hard on yesterday's I'll say that today's is quite good. This morning's surprise was Comet's Cayenne Colon Cleanser, a vinegar cayenne sauce. Very nice flavor of the peppers and not at all heavy on the vinegar.  Heat was very low to my taste, though my tolerance is pretty good even if it's a bit lower right now.

This sauce with the Dec 1 sauce's heat profile and I'd be absolutely pounding the stuff down.  As it is this one won't last long.
20201202 Dec2Sauce.jpg

BDASPNY said:
very nice start!  those variegated plants look spectacular.  im hoping to grow a few this year and try my luck.  lol

I got a similar advent calendar. its my first.  ill have to get a pic of it.

Sweet!  Would be cool to see it.  Now if I could just get couple calendars with beers and wings I'd be all set.

And hey, be sure to save a little room as I have at least a couple good jalap types I'm still planning to send your way  :thumbsup:

Back