Chefs Dish It Out

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Are you a chef? Cooking with heat? Dish it out! Tell us your stories (good and bad), menu creations, etc.

No guests, search engines, or regular members can see in here. So talk freely!

Have questions for chefs and chef/owners? Ask!

(This was created so TB could tell us about his new job. But all chefs, please chime in!)

Scovie's wanting a whack??? :shrugs: OK~~~

fd61314d.jpg

Yes please may I have another!

I don't even wanna know what dark corner of the internet I visited to get that picture. :drunk:

The other day I got a nice 2nd degree burn just below my right wrist.

Some hot splooge gravy "blooped" on me.

Didn't hurt.

Today the blistered skin came off in the shower.

Its not so pretty now.

Consider it a Badge Of Bloop!
...you know you have a few! ;)

Most of you "professionals" do!
And you wear 'em like scars of honor......and all the gerlz go crazy for 'em...
(or the guys, if your SL, and those other kitchen Goddesses)

I, too, have glorious burn scars!
But only 2 out of 5 came from a kitchen~~~~~

those other 3 are pretty good stories tho! :lol:

Yes, I have a couple really good burn scars. TB can claim the "bloop" badges, I'll just take my scars.

So, we've morphed into OTJ injuries-

"BackInTheDay"..... refrigeration units didn't have all the mesh guards to keep all the body parts out of the high velocity rotating blades. Explanation--- at 15 years old...I reached into the cooler for a gallon jar of diced spuds in water and my right hand middle finger went through the wires and came in contact with the spinning blades of the cooler fan.....

I was self employed for a time, running a little cafe, and became Home Sick with a Cold (prolly back in the early 90's). Remedy of the Day was Thera-Flu.

I nuked a cup of plain water for about 2 minutes, removed the cup from the micro, perched it between my knees and dumped the Thera-Flu packet into the micro'd water...and......DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!

BoilingLavaWater, 3-rd degree burns on the insides of my knees. Something about static water pressure, and heated water,a nd you can actually fill a glass fuller than the rim...and talk to someone else about the phisics..... Suffice it to say

I had no insurance....so when the blisters were really big and nasty, I went to my Mom and had her use her embroidery scissors to cut off the blisters from the insides of my knees. Still have the scars.

Of all the physical accident crap that I've done or subjected my parents to,.....(this includes some "crafty" accidents like 3rd degree hand burns from a soldering iron, and lacing open a finger with a razor blade...) I think my mom disliked treating the knee-blisters from the Exploding Thera-Flu the worst.

and then there's Silvadine!!!!!!

Yes, I have a couple really good burn scars. TB can claim the "bloop" badges, I'll just take my scars.

So, we've morphed into OTJ injuries-

"BackInTheDay"..... refrigeration units didn't have all the mesh guards to keep all the body parts out of the high velocity rotating blades. Explanation--- at 15 years old...I reached into the cooler for a gallon jar of diced spuds in water and my right hand middle finger went through the wires and came in contact with the spinning blades of the cooler fan.....

I was self employed for a time, running a little cafe, and became Home Sick with a Cold (prolly back in the early 90's). Remedy of the Day was Thera-Flu.

I nuked a cup of plain water for about 2 minutes, removed the cup from the micro, perched it between my knees and dumped the Thera-Flu packet into the micro'd water...and......DON'T DO THIS!!!!!!!!!

BoilingLavaWater, 3-rd degree burns on the insides of my knees. Something about static water pressure, and heated water,a nd you can actually fill a glass fuller than the rim...and talk to someone else about the phisics..... Suffice it to say

I had no insurance....so when the blisters were really big and nasty, I went to my Mom and had her use her embroidery scissors to cut off the blisters from the insides of my knees. Still have the scars.

Of all the physical accident crap that I've done or subjected my parents to,.....(this includes some "crafty" accidents like 3rd degree hand burns from a soldering iron, and lacing open a finger with a razor blade...) I think my mom disliked treating the knee-blisters from the Exploding Thera-Flu the worst.

and then there's Silvadine!!!!!!

Wow!!

The other day was another epic day in the world of whatthef**kery. As the owner/wife was making random conversation about some crap that I had to flip the switch on to auto-ignore, I happened to turn and look and see what she was doing.

She was chopping pecans.

On the prep table.

Right on the stainless steel prep table.

Next to the cutting board.

You can't make this sheeit up y'all.

*insert burn pic here*

Burns are nothing to scoff at. I burned my hand with molten rubber once whilst working on a road crew doing asphalt repair. Picture the burn on the top of your hand that would make a horizontal shelf while holding a coffee mug. Once the skin came off 2 weeks later it looked like your picture but with more white fatty tissue behind it. Not fun. Silver Sulfadine helped me get by. Looked like someone took a knife and carved a huge patch of skin off my hand. Brings back memories. Yikes!

I'm not a professional chef...not even a "cook".....

...but dammit if my oven doesn't bite me every freaking Saturday Night!

Every Sunday I wake up with a new burn! Damn Pizza anyway......;)

CJ, don't let that oven get away with biting you, you have to show it who's boss. Next time it does that, smack it on the knob with a rolled up newspaper, tell it "NO!" in a firm authoratative voice, and then make it sit and stay for 2 minutes.

Works every time~ ;)

What about Italian restaurants that use box pasta. Seriously?!!!! :lol: I mean, pasta is about 80% of the menu. So what do you make? Sauce? Oh wow, good for you, lol. A pot of red sauce on the stove, and some box pasta. Nice restaurant.

Here in NYC the pizza (slice) joints get a pass, because you go there for pizza, and if you order baked ziti, it's box pasta. And the diners get a pass because... you shouldn't be ordering pasta there to begin with! But Italian restaurants do not get a pass! Luckily most make their own pasta. AS THEY SHOULD!

We have good Italian here, probably the best in the country. But I know if you go to some small towns, they just open cans and boxes. It's quite common with Italian restaurants for some reason. $12 for a 1/4 box of Barilla, and some jarred sauce lol. It's like, they think it's acceptable to serve food like that. Food that a 12 year old can make. Boil. Heat. Serve.

OK- Devil's advocate to you, Boss-

One type pasta can be served with 15 different sauces and proteins.  OR the restaurant can invest $4,000 in a pasta machine that will take the same semolina-egg-water recipe and make it thin like spaghetti, thick like fettuccini, curly like spirelli or even funky like radiatori.  But pasta is pasta, and they are all make with the same 3-4 ingredients...if you count salt.

Yes, fresh pasta is great and tastes great.  But when talking about ITALIAN food, are you just talking about pasta, red sauce and a (meat balls, or sausage)?  What about veal, seafood, parmiseans,

I'd rather see an Italian restaurant that used one type of quality dried/packaged pasta (linguine perhaps) and served it with veal marsala, chicken piccata, alfredo (or Apollo, as is the joke in our family) frutti de mare red, white or red clam sauce, eggplant parm, chicken parm, CARBONARA!!!  (Oh yea, can't forget the bacon...) Bolognese...... rather than a restaurant that makes lots of different pasta shapes and serves them all with the same sauce just for the marketing aspect of "make our own pasta".  As long as they are preparing all the rest of the carbonara/piccata/de mare fresh to order, dried pasta works for me.

Dry pasta and canned sauces=Not Good

Dry pasta and all the rest fresh and to order= WIN!

Back