Chefs Dish It Out

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
Are you a chef? Cooking with heat? Dish it out! Tell us your stories (good and bad), menu creations, etc.

No guests, search engines, or regular members can see in here. So talk freely!

Have questions for chefs and chef/owners? Ask!

(This was created so TB could tell us about his new job. But all chefs, please chime in!)

:shakeshead: scovie, scovie, scovie..... :lol:

I need to head to the "what are youlistening to " thread.....Friday Night,kicking out some long-forgotten vinyl...

and another voice comes through the door

habaneroheat81 is in the food service industry

The owner at the joint that I work with sent out a dozen cooked turkeys, 4 hams, and 2 kosher chickens yesterday to a catering party event.

He was talking on his bat phone with the Jewish woman who requested the kosher chickens for a little guidance.

I suggested he wrap them in bacon.

He was frying turkeys for another event when I left today.

I swear I am going to puke if I have to even smell another turkey.

Same goes for the hams.

After all day in the kitchen, the last thing I want to do when I get home is look at food.

Might explain the 15 pounds I've lost over the last month since starting the job.

I am a machine!

so it's brisket for Thanksgiving dinner?

After all day in the kitchen, the last thing I want to do when I get home is look at food.

That was my sentiments EXACTLY when working in food service.

Hey SL, when our butcher (Thompson) worked at 'The Butcher Shoppe' in Ballard, a buddy of the owner called a radio station (KISW I think), and as a joke said that The Butcher Shoppe was de-boning turkeys for free.... two weeks before T-Day.
:rofl:
The last few days before Thankgiving, after word REALLY got out, they were de-boning 250 Turkeys a day.

ZING.

REALLY? De-boning turkeys bought there or bought from anywhere? It doesn't matter, but I think I'd of put a sign on the door..."Out To Lunch....until after THanksgiving"

:lol:

REALLY? De-boning turkeys bought there or bought from anywhere? It doesn't matter, but I think I'd of put a sign on the door..."Out To Lunch....until after THanksgiving"

:lol:

OH no! They had to buy/order them from The Butcher Shoppe, great business, but holy hell, that's ALL they were doing! :rofl:

Next time you're in there, ask him about it... Funny shit.

so it's brisket for Thanksgiving dinner?

Negative on the brisket.

Or much else for that matter. mrs. blues is out of town for a business road trip that just so happens to end with her visiting her folks up around Seattle. Just me and missylou and 'sides, I ain't cooked a turkey for t-day in years because one, its too dang much food and mrs. blues doesn't eat leftovers, and two, I really don't care for turkey. I'd rather eat duck but I really don't feel like cooking one just for myself.

I'll be working my nary little ass the day before t-day helping them do up another 30 birds, PLUS, the usual restaurant chores.

I'm quite certain come thanksgiving day I won't be giving a damn about food.

Chefs with experience in BBQ and slow cooked meats... how do restaurants operate? Is everything reheated?

Take brisket or pulled pork. They smoke it overnight. When they open they pull it off the pits. So is everything reheated during the day? There's no way stuff is coming off the pits all day as people order (sure some smoking goes on but it's not like stuff is made to order). What about prime rib? Etc. etc.

I know most of this has to be reheated. Are they using microwaves? Broilers? Grills?

I imagine the microwave gets used a lot. Like a sort of trade secret no one wants to admit. Prime rib, brisket... under the salamander? I think pulled pork is often too saucy because they simmer it in sauce to order. That's their answer to heating. But it's Soppy Joe! I like the meat to be showcased. Not mixed with sauce. Sauce on the top. But if they heat it by putting it on the flattop it gets greasy and crispy edges.

Ha! I brought it all back to the flattop.

Worst Cuban I had was AT A PLACE I WORKED and they reheated the pork on the flattop. That's how I know that. Was greasy and not succulent like pernil. They roasted it and put it in the cooler.

I haven't worked in a ~Q joint, but from what I've seen on TV and at festivals etc...they do "whatever-they-do" to the meat for pulled pork, shred it and then keep it hot in a steam table. Tong the meat onto the bun, sauce it, serve it.

Never done the restaurant prime rib, so I can't say about how they manage a rare prime rib at 8:30pm when dinner service starts at 5:00.

Back